Wow Camping at the World Is Cheaper Than I Thought!!!!!!!!!!

FW is definitely a cheaper vacation to Disney for us. Last year we took my DS and two friends. We cooked breakfast each morning and had sandwich makings, drinks, and snacks available. (three teenage boys can eat alot!). They were given the choice to eat at parks (their money!), or at campsite. We provided the transportation to get there, the place to sleep and the food at campsite - pretty reasonable trip for them, and they all have great memories of their last summer together before college, etc. split them up.

Sorry rapriebe, ftwilderness guy is still right anyway. If you ask anyone in the finance industry they will tell you that your RV purchase is what is called a "sunk cost." Meaning that the purchase has already been made (wether its finished being paid for or not). Therefore that cost has absolutely no bearing at all on a decision between two future choices. In this case, the choices being a disney resort or the disney campground. The campers cost should not be included in either. If you are renting a camper to go to FW, then that is completely different.

BigD1813 said:
Sorry rapriebe, ftwilderness guy is still right anyway. If you ask anyone in the finance industry they will tell you that your RV purchase is what is called a "sunk cost." Meaning that the purchase has already been made (wether its finished being paid for or not). Therefore that cost has absolutely no bearing at all on a decision between two future choices. In this case, the choices being a disney resort or the disney campground. The campers cost should not be included in either. If you are renting a camper to go to FW, then that is completely different.
That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. Of course, I'm going to consider the cost of the RV when determining which method is more cost efficient. You can't just blow off the purchase price of an RV; a least most people can't. The "finance industry" might consider it a sunk cost but I certainly don't.

Lol, sorry you find it ridiculous. I was just trying to tell you the proper way to figure it out. If you want to calculate the costs in the wrong way, thats not my problem.

rapriebe said:
That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. Of course, I'm going to consider the cost of the RV when determining which method is more cost efficient. You can't just blow off the purchase price of an RV; a least most people can't. The "finance industry" might consider it a sunk cost but I certainly don't.

Shhhhh!
If I have to factor in the payment on an RV to the cost of a Disney vacation, my hubby will never go for it.
If I exclude the payment, it looks REALLY inexpensive.

Please, my babies need to see Mickey! Just don't pass the word around! :earboy2:

Carrie Ellis said:
For us we would have to consider 2 rooms vs camping cost. There are 6 of us. And if you have an animal that you would have had to kennel if you stayed at a value resort, you could also consider that a savings. I would never want to spend a day just hanging around our room but I would factor that in if I am camping! We were at the Fort for 13 night last September when hurricane Jeanne came back and hit FL. They set us up at ASM for the last 4 nights of our stay. Going from the Fort to a value resort within one vacation gave me a good view of why I love camping so much. It was so depressing being in the value resort (not that it is a bad place, actually wonderful for a motel!), it is just not the same.

We were at All-Star Movies during Jeanne. Although we were there on purpose. The entire staff did a GREAT job during the hurricane didn't they!! However, we were so stir crazy by Sunday 1:00, we had to get out. We put on our rain suits and went on a grand walking tour of the grounds of all three All-Stars. We took pictures of the things that were down and marveled at how fast the crews were getting in there and cleaning things up.

Carol

We love camping at Ft. Wilderness, but I have to agree that it's not for the cost savings. We enjoy the relaxation & convenience of the resort & mostly bringing our 4-legged baby girl along. If any of the WDW resorts would allow us to bring her along, we probably would stay in one of the other resorts more often. (As a side note, for that reason we love the USO resorts.) There's times when a FL resident, which we are, can stay at one of the Value Resorts cheaper than at Ft.Wilderness. Plus the cost of gas to get there, which isn't that much from Tampa, but is a lot more than in our van. Personally, I think the real cost savings is in the amount of food you are willing to cook. For me, that's none. :blush: So, no cost savings there for us. Anyway, my point is that we love sleeping in our own bed & taking our baby girl ;) , but I wouldn't argue that it's a huge cost savings. JMO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter