Wow..August...$40.00 per night!

auntie

<font color=darkorchid>It's a really lovely way to
Called central reservations to check rates for August...and can get a AAA rate of $40.00 per night! :earseek: I was quite surprised at that rate. We currently camp upstate NY and we are paying near $60.00 per night at RV resort near Lake George area. FW is sure a good deal...being in Disney for that rate!

Am a bit reluctant with the August heat..but seems that it will be the only time we'd be able to go..between kids in school and when my husband can get off. We are looking to spend 10 days to make the trip worth it coming from NY.
That $40.00 rate sure does make it appealing.
Anybody else going at that time? August 14th ...are we crazy to consider it?

Anybody...thoughts on August...rate or heat? Appreciate any input.

That rate sounds good...although I have not stayed at FW..yet!! We are planning a trip down there in the fall. I have been to Disney in August (it's been a while), but I can tell you to pack alot of water!!! It is very, very hot at that time of the year. You will still have fun, I would just suggest taking pool breaks mid-day.

Have fun!!

It's been about 10 years since we've been to Disney in August..we stayed at one of the resorts then..not FW. This is my concern...I remember it being really hot..with the afternoon thunderstorms. (which we welcomed, because they cooled things down) I enjoy the RV so much, I'm just wondering how much you actually get to enjoy FW with that kind of heat.
Although..we've gone back and forth with this a few times already, and it looks as if the only time we will have to go and spend 10 days or so would be the summer months...so I'm figuring just go already..and stop worrying about it. If we keep waiting for the "perfect" time..weather wise and work wise..it's just not gonna happen. Meanwhile, my son who will be 14 this summer..and the only one who stills enjoys camping with us will just be getting older. Judging by my other two who are older..he's not gonna be looking to camp with us much longer..feel like we should make the most of the time..regardless of the heat.
And the AAA rate...sure does make it tempting!

Yeah, I agree...don'r worry about it...you will have fun no matter what. From what i have heard and read, FW has alot of trees that provide shade. I am sure you will get to enjoy all that FW has to offer. Go already :teeth: !!! Give an update when you return. We just bought our first TT and are very excited about bringing it down there. We are doing our first RV adventure right here in our driveway :rotfl: ...we want to make sure we know how things work and also that we have stocked the trailer with everything we need. Anyway, we are staying at POR in June and plan to head over to FW to check it out while we are there and to, of course ;) , buy some stuff for our TT!!!

Good luck with your trip in August!!

August is value season and the rack rates are:
Campsite - Elec/wtr $38 Partial
Campsite - Elec/wtr/swr $43 Full Hookup
Campsite - Elec/wtr/swr/cbl $51 Preferred

So if you sre getting a preferred site thats a good price.

We have camped many times in late July and August. It is very hot and wet. However, IF you have A/C and a water tight rig it is still fun. Without A/C I would not think you would have much fun. We live down here and are use to the heat (well as much as you can be) but I would not camp down here in June, July, August, and early September without A/C. The rain for the most part that time of year is afternoon thunder storms. They can be very severe but most of time are not and they are 1 hour or less in length and when its over you are free to go about your day.

Yes, the $40.00 is for a preferred site. It does make it tempting. I do remember the rain is pretty heavy in late afternoons in August.

I am hoping to get in the 1400 loop..outer loop. I hope there isn't too much flooding in that location.
Our rig does have A/C.
In as much as I'd love to camp in May(which has been when we visited Disney the last two times)...it seems the only time we will be able to get the trailer down there(from NY) would be August. Keep waiting for a better time...and mean while time seems to be passing us by. So figure we are gonna see if we can't manage it this summer..and we'll do the best we can to deal with the heat. It isn't the first time..we've been many times in August..but never in the campground...and I think we got spoiled by that fabulous May weather. Prior to that..we wouldn't have known the difference always visited in August. I figure it's Disney...and we love it!

$60.00 per night at RV resort near Lake George area. FW is sure a good deal...being in Disney for that rate!
I assume you are talking about Lake George RV Park,

http://www.lakegeorgervpark.com/home.html

which is the most expensive campground in NY. That isn't usual pricing, even for Lake George. There are several campgounds that run about $35. Of course they don't have all the pools (heated when needed), the free transport to Lake George, the tennis courts, the 2 free theaters, 4 playgrounds, and a 5000 foot screened Bingo hall LOL!

we're looking at going in August as well. you just can't beat the rates! but we will be one of the insane ones who will be tent camping...in august...i am NOT looking forward to that part of it, but if it's the only way i can get a bit of disney, i'll take it! we don't plan to do any of the disney parks this trip though. :( my stepson wants to do universal...so we agreed to do universal, but stay at disney and give me at least one good day at downtown disney and i'll be happy! we plan to buy tickets for disneyquest (DSS is 14), play around in DD for the day...maybe hit Adventurer's Club and Comedy Club before it gets too "adult" like...and then I also get a day to resort hop. I never take the time to resort hop when i do the disney parks! I'm actually looking forward to it!

DMRick said:
$60.00 per night at RV resort near Lake George area. FW is sure a good deal...being in Disney for that rate!
I assume you are talking about Lake George RV Park,

http://www.lakegeorgervpark.com/home.html

which is the most expensive campground in NY. That isn't usual pricing, even for Lake George. There are several campgounds that run about $35. Of course they don't have all the pools (heated when needed), the free transport to Lake George, the tennis courts, the 2 free theaters, 4 playgrounds, and a 5000 foot screened Bingo hall LOL!

Yes indeed the Lake George RV Park..but also the other campgrounds in the area are pretty much around the same amount. Including the Lake George Escape..located a bit more North of the RV Park. They sort of get you with the lower..midweek rate..for 2 people..and then hit you up with the higher rates on Fri, and Sat..and another $5.00 to $6.00 for each child over 5.
Before you know it...$60.00! So the $40.00 plus tax rate for FW seemed like a bargain to us. Especially considering the rates at FW during peak times of the year..a huge difference.

scarlett873 said:
and then I also get a day to resort hop. I never take the time to resort hop when i do the disney parks! I'm actually looking forward to it!

Checking out the resorts is my favorite part of a Disney vacation!

I did forget about LG Escape's big price increase last year (or was it the year before). But again, that place is a resort. There are plenty like Lake George/Schroon River, or Rainbow, or Adirondack resort, Schroon River resort, and others, that are more like campgrounds, and less like resorts.Those two, are destination campgrounds. People seldom leave them once they are there. Those do make the off rates at Disney seem a bargain, but they do have tons to do and lots of childrens activities at those pricey campgrounds.

I do dislike the new way of charging, many campgrounds are going to, with each child being extra.

I agree with your assesment of the Lake George "Resorts"...in fact we've been seasonal for a few years at the LGRV Park resort...but it's gotten way out of hand as far as price. Used to be worth it for us...coming from Long Island..and my husband not wanting to tow off the island each weekend..we found we got a lot more use out of the trailer with it being on site..but they've just gone beyond paying for the convenience at this point. Also if you pay that kind of money(upward of $4600.00 for the new season)...it doesn't leave you the option of pulling out for a couple of weeks trailering...already spent to much.
I do think that FW does compare to these "Resorts" as far as amenities....as it is a resort also..much more than a campground. And from what I've seen you're getting a lot of bang for your buck..especially off season. Camparing resort to resort. FW seems a pretty good deal. Or at least we are hoping so!

This year we will be seasonal at the Alpine Lake RV resort(Corinth)..however it is quite literally half the price of the Lake George RV Park...and since my family is into Kayaking and that sort of thing now..we seemed to headed over to that area more and more. Lake Luzern and the Hudson River. Hope we are happy with the change...the folks there seem real friendly..so we are giving it a try..was on wait list for a while but they told us they had vacancy for us this season..so we are giving it a shot..and it still leaves us the option to trailer down to FW when my husband is able to get a couple of weeks off in August.

I live in Florida. SUre its hot in Aug but thats a great time to enjoy the water parks, pools and night time at the parks. Its good to take afternoon breaks/naps then go back. Most parks have longer hours in the summer too. Just bring plenty of cool, cotton clothes and such.

auntie said:
And from what I've seen you're getting a lot of bang for your buck..especially off season. Camparing resort to resort. FW seems a pretty good deal. Or at least we are hoping so!

This year we will be seasonal at the Alpine Lake RV resort(Corinth).

I love FW, don't get me wrong, but I love it for it's nearness to the World. Other than the campfire/movie, I really don't find it a destination campground (although I have to admit it's been wayyy cheaper to fly down the past few years, so it could have changed). I think it's nice, I like the sites, I love walking around (which we still go over to do), and teh peacocks, but I don't remember them having many "free" children's events, fishing contests, stuff like Bingo (which is ok by me LOL!), dances at night with a band, indoor pool, etc. While I find it a great place to be for up to two weeks, if DW wasn't right there, I wouldn't be either.

Alpine Lake is really nice. We talked about going there with our IRV2.com group once. Ended up at Turning Stone though. We wanted to go to LGRV Park during spring break with the grands..they want to check it out, but they aren't open :( Guess we'll have to go to Adirondack Adventure.

DMRick said:
Alpine Lake is really nice. We talked about going there with our IRV2.com group once. Ended up at Turning Stone though. We wanted to go to LGRV Park during spring break with the grands..they want to check it out, but they aren't open :( Guess we'll have to go to Adirondack Adventure.

LGRV doesn't open until the second weekend in May. Actually just another reason we are switching..they are opening later each year..and charging more. I think we will be happy with the change to Alpine. Went over to see Alpine Lake last year and were pretty impressed with what they had to offer.Activities, church services, the lake of course and was just a bit more peaceful looking than the RV Park..and the folks were just out of their way friendly.

Looked over at the Lake George Escape last season also..they seemed to have numerous activities scheduled through out the day for kids. It looked very busy..maybe too busy for us. But everybody sure looked happy.

We are looking forward to being able to visit FW with the trailer..something we've wanted to do since we bought it actually. I think it's Diseny..and we're bound to have a good time. I know May is such a beautiful time of year in the campground and had hope to do it then..but not likely. Only option is August..so guess we'll just have to deal with the heat. Plan to spend mostly evenings in the parks..as suggested..since we've been many times..we don't feel the need to spend all day at the Parks. Mostly see what's new since last visit and what we've enjoyed on previous ones.
We will likely make use of the water parks..and this is not something we've done during May visits.

We will be there 8/13 - 8/20 in the 800 loop hopefully. $265 for the week, W|E|S with the AAA discount, less than $38 a day. The wife is a teacher so we have to work around the school's calendar. There is nothing you can do about the weather in August so you just deal with it. It can be hot but that's why God invented A/C. The one good thing about going in late August is most people have headed home to get ready for the upcoming school year. For the week we were there last August, between Charley and Francis, there were a total of maybe 15 rigs in the 800 loop and only one was next to us. We can't wait to go back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter