Would you still go?

erbeaman

Mouseketeer
I need help from the hive! We have a split stay vacation planned for March 27-Apr 4. Six nights in a WH condo and 2 nights at POR. We were planning on doing a day at HS and a day at EP, but mostly just hanging out in the sunshine and warmth. Obviously, we can't do our resort stay, or park time, but what about the condo stay? We would be driving from MI, getting groceries delivered, and sticking around the condo pool most of the time with maybe a day or two at the beach (all places we can stay 6+ feet away from anyone else). I'm just having a really hard time letting it go. This will be our last spring break before our oldest goes off to college. We might be able to squeeze in a quick long weekend trip this summer to make it to the parks, but we won't be able to stay long enough to use the condo, and we can't get a refund (only move the dates). What would you do? Can we self-quarantine in FL instead of MI? Don't get me wrong, I want to do my part to keep everyone safe and healthy, I'm just wondering if I can do it from FL ;).

I just saw a news report that Disney is refunding trips through June 30. I haven’t read it on here though. I’m about to go check my Twitter, if it’s really a new thing, itll be all over there, Id think.

I might would do it, since you're not flying and seem happy to stay isolated in Florida. But I would have two concerns. First, I'd say it's possible, even likely, that common pools will be shut down, so if pool time is critical for you, be prepared that it may close. And second, if someone in your family does get the virus, how comfortable are you receiving medical care in Florida vs at your home with your own doctors?

Whatever you decide, I hope you all can find some way to enjoy your isolation time together.

First of all, sorry a family trip isn't going to go as planned! I probably would recommend against it. What if you aren't able to get gas (you never know!)? or the beaches, pools, parks close, then what will you do for fun? what if you get sick and can't physically drive back? Too many unknowns for me personally. I would really try working with the owners to see if they can delay your trip (and hold $$$) indefinitely or possibly work our financial agreement that suits both parties. For our planned vrbo stays in March I went 50/50 with one owner (that way neither one of us took a big hit), the other owner refunded a very small portion of our money, but not much. It really stinks but nothing else we could do. Traveling to an island right now wasn't something we felt comfortable with.

We are going. We have a house rented at Story lake with our own pool. . I am having food delivered via instacart and will get take out. As of today the property is set to keep amenities (pool and lazy river) open but we will be just fine if it is closed.

I wouldn’t go at this time. My mother is presently in southern Florida and they have closed all the beaches there. Some people from her building were sitting out on the beach and they were told they had to leave so I wouldn’t think that the beaches would be opened. Also the pool at WH may not be open to either.

I wouldn’t go at this time. My mother is presently in southern Florida and they have closed all the beaches there. Some people from her building were sitting out on the beach and they were told they had to leave so I wouldn’t think that the beaches would be opened. Also the pool at WH may not be open to either.

Absolutely not. The whole point of everything closing is to force people to stay home, so as the flatten the curve of cases to not overwhelm the healthcare system with a spike of sick folks all at once. Even if you aren’t sick, the potential for asymptomatic carrying is serious. People disregarding that to go out like normal is why Italy had to go on lockdown. Please do the responsible thing and cancel non essential travel. It sucks to miss out on your vacation, I know, but it would suck a lot more to potentially spread the virus to at risk people.

The more people do the right, unselfish thing now, the sooner this will be over.

Nope, I'd try for that long weekend this summer (and anticipate that that might be impacted too.) . We pushed our April trip to July and are hoping for the best, but this is just not something to mess with, IMHO. Time to hunker down and limit any exposure anywhere since this is a public health thing vs. a personal health thing.

I would not go, don’t know how it is around the rest of the US but here in PA Instacart is able to deliver 1/4 of the items requested. Even if you prove going to the store here there is nothing fresh, just packaged items to pick from right now.

Aside from my agreement with what others have said regarding personal responsibility to help prevent the spread of the virus, which I wholeheartedly agree with....
I would ask you these questions:

Are you in a place where you currently have a lockdown of sorts? I am, and groceries and supplies are in short supply. Our restaurants, bars, malls, movie theaters, sports venues, other retail outlets, liquor stores and everything non-essential is shut down. If Florida follows suit you may not have availability to get basic supplies and resources staying in a resort. Provided they actually remain open. I personally believe Disney will extend the closure of both the parks and the resorts.

Do you have the funds to extend a stay at that resort in the case one or all of you get quarantined, from either state lockdown or in the event you're exposed?

What if one of you gets sick and needs hospitalization? That person will be quarantined or hospitalized for an indeterminate amount of time. And the rest of the family, if not sick, will be quarantined in the resort. No one can leave to go home.

If you or your family get sick and do not require hospitalization, will you have the necessary supplies in a resort like food and medicine for weeks long quarantine, or will you have the ability to get it? If one is quarantined, the whole family will be and how will get you get food, medicine and supplies? You won't be able to leave the room for any reason.

Are you willing to be the people who have the possibility to spread the virus, by not heeding to government advice? Either to your own family or strangers including possible sick, high risk or elderly?

Disney is not going anywhere, neither is Florida in general. This is a time to hunker down and make sure you have supplies for your family, not to go on a trip. JMO.

I would not go, don’t know how it is around the rest of the US but here in PA Instacart is able to deliver 1/4 of the items requested. Even if you prove going to the store here there is nothing fresh, just packaged items to pick from right now.
And most stores now limit the amount of items you could buy, including bread and milk. Cold medicines are flying off the shelves too. It's hard to find basic tylenol and motrin, nyquil, cough meds, etc. Entire shelves where these were are empty.

I heard some of the mass buying of supplies was starting in Orlando from someone who lives there, but it may not be long before it gets to the state that we're in up here in PA.

Having had 2 online grocery orders (1 for pick up and 1 for delivery) cancelled just this week from 2 different major grocers...if it's not obvious, DO NOT GO! Florida is in the midst of discovering and dealing with a widespread outbreak, and you'll be there just in time to be totally immersed in it and all the repercussions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!