Would you rent a golf cart if...

jtjarvis

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
You're staying in a cabin with kids ages 5 and 7 and will be attending MNSSHP, and MK on EMH morning, but would likely spend the most time hopping to other parks? We'll also have our car with us during our stay Oct. 7-11. We rented a golf cart in January for a quicker MK-only trip, and the golf cart was great to ride down to the ferry just when we wanted in the early a.m. to head for MK. We didn't know about reliability of the bus system. But other than those convenience rides we did not use the golf cart much. Also we were surprised to see you could also just drive your car to quite a few places at FW.

But if it is significantly worth it to have that golf cart because buses are unreliable—I don't want to be late for MK opening time and MNSSHP and a certain amount of convenience is worth $$ to me, with rather young children—I'll stick with the golf cart, which I already reserved.

Also, I presumed we'd take the Disney buses to Epcot and MGM, but would we be better off just taking our car? I see conflicting reviews on whether the bus system has improved. I always assumed that having somebody else drive is ALWAYS better, ha, but it looks like that may not always be so! [Do onsite drivers have a parking advantage over off-site?]

Thanks y'all. Sorry for the convoluted question! But I know y'all are FW transport pros and this board has always helped me so much!!

:bounce:

If the cost of the cart is not cost prohibitive, I'd rent it. We always rent a cart, and always try for the 3 seater. It's much easier and faster than driving or waiting!

Gee, guess I'm just cheap! I went to FW 2 weeks ago with a 5, 7, 10, 12, and 14 year old...no other adult. Money was an issue, so we didn't rent a car, and we didn't rent a golf cart. We love to walk. We "stopped and smelled the roses," so to speak. We just slowed down and enjoyed the scenery...lizard, peacocks, rabbits. We ran into a few people we started talking to that we wouldn's have met if we hadn't been walking. Plus, I got to walk off some of Boma's wonderful buffet! Part of the reason for our vacation was to slow down anyway, and our motto for the entire vacation was "No hurries, no worries." Anyway, I can understand the convenience of using a cart, but it is doable, and enjoyable, without one as well. Just my .02 worth!
Deb

Wow, all sides seem to have compelling reasons! :jester: Thanks y'all for replying. It helps a lot!

I think what we will do is keep hold of the golf cart this time, since it's already been put in the budget—largely because we postponed a June trip until October, giving me much longer to save! :rolleyes: — and enjoy having it while gauging how much we're using it, to file away for next time. There'll be several things we do that'll be nice to motor around on our own, i.e. the movie/campfire etc.
Blestmom, I agree with you in that you notice lots more roses and get more cool opportunities when you're unhurried and taking it slow though!

Next time I will begin taking it slow! :rolleyes:

We've never rented a cart. We bring our bikes. We get a little exercise and the bikes can get into places the carts can't. We've never been in a hurry while camping at FW so the bus schedule has not been a negative issue for us. While on vacation we intentionally avoid timelines.

Clarification......it's just the boat ride to MK that the golf cart is needed(or helpful). To get to the other bus stops , you can drive your vehicle and park. Correct?

You can park in the lot by the Outpost bus stop and catch the buses there. The Outpost services WL, DD/TL, AK/BB, and Epcot.

You cannot park a car for the Settlement bus stop. You catch the MGM bus and the bus to TTC there.

If you take the bus from your cabin, would it just take you to the Settlement or the Outpost, and then you catch another bus to go a park? Or can you catch, say, an MGM bus from your cabin? I hope it's not a two-step deal. But heck, WDW's a big place huh. But wonder why you catch an MGM bus from the Settlement instead of the Outpost like the others?

All this info really helps! Thanks again!! :cool:

One more question -- those of you with cars, do you catch a bus to the parks (unless you're ferrying to MK) or drive yourself? :rolleyes:

When we stayed in the cabins, we didn't have a rental car OR a golf cart...we got along just fine without either one! The busses worked fine and I really couldn't understand what all the "hubbub" was about the busses in FW being so awful. We didn't have one problem!

When we stayed at FW,,we used Disney transportation for MK. We also hooked into the monorail for a trip to Epcot at TTC.. For MGM and AK we drove, free parking for resort guests and much faster. We did use the car for Epcot later in the week as well, it was faster than Disney transportation for an early entry. Just MHO.

Cool-- looks like more people are getting happier with FW buses. :) Also, that helps to know driving yourself to some parks is fast too, JW. As we're coming in late on a Thursday night and will likely hit MGM first on Friday, we might just drive over ourselves after all. (Then come back in plenty of time to get ready for MNSSHP.) I was beginning to wonder if staying onsite gave you much advantage after all if you are driving yourself anyway, but yes, I forgot about free parking! :cool:

Just adding my 2¢ worth. When staying at the cabins I like to rent a golf cart ... not is it great for getting to the marina, my grandkids (7 & 8) and I just love driving around Ft. Wilderness in it.

Since I always have a car (mine or a rental) I prefer to drive to the theme parks (except MK) ... but I enjoy driving and hate not having my car immediately available.

I have stayed at Ft. Wilderness exclusively using the transportation system, and found it rather frustrating.

It is ALWAYS two buses or a bus and a boat to get anywhere outside of Ft. Wilderness.

Having internal transportation makes it quicker to get to the main bus stop or marina on either end of the resort.

Also, if you want to spend a day at the resort going to the pool, or over to Trails End for lunch, then over to the campfire. It just makes it much easier to not to have to hop on a bus everytime.

So bikes, a golf cart, or an electric scooter of some type are a real necessity for me when staying at Ft. Wilderness. I actually use my hubby's ECV to scoot around Ft. Wilderness. I park it in golf cart parking and cover it with a small grill cover and plug it in.

My Ft. Wilderness trip each year is my solo escape from everybody trip!!

Carol

I think a lot of it has to do with personal preference. I'm at a point in my life where I spend so much time in the car, shuffling kids from sports to dance to scouts, etc. For me, it is a treat to let somebody else do the driving, and I look at the waiting time as time to relax. But that isn't for everybody, and everybody's situation is different. It is nice that there are so many options out there...you can "tailor" your vacation for what works for you! Happy camping everyone!
Deb

I agree, it is a personal choice. We have stayed at FW 7 times and have never rented a golf cart, or driven to the parks. But I can see how others would prefer either and/or both. Bikes are a great way to get around, too. I like the bus sytem now better than in years past, when we had to go to TTC for some parks.

we use the golf cart for running up to catch a boat too, but it is very convenient to use it to cruise the park, go to the pool, pick up a pizza or some breakfast items at trails end or running to the meadows trading post. For us it is so much easier than riding a bike or getting in the car. We drive 16 hours to get there so We dont feel like driving unless its necessary

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter