Would you recommend Ft. Wilderness to some one afraid of dogs.

JosieMouse

Mouseketeer
DH an I are planning our 1 first trip for 2014. I was wondering if you would recomend camping at Ft. Wilderness to someone who's scared of dogs. I read on Disneys site that dogs are allowed in certian loops and there is a dog park. Are dogs allowed in any other areas, like the pools? Normally the would be NO WAY would even think about staying in an areahat alowed dogs, but camping at Ft. Wilderness would save are large family quite a bit of money. The kids are always talking about going camping, so I know they would love it.

Tough question. There are designated pet loops. BUT, if they fill up they use any loop as a pet loop in recent years. You may also encounter a dog on the road walking to the dog park. Dogs are not allowed in the public areas. BUT, there are always a few who may break the rule or a service dog CAN go in these areas.
I guess if the fear is extreme, I'd say you might not want to try it. If mild, you might want to give it a shot.

DH an I are planning our 1 first trip for 2014. I was wondering if you would recomend camping at Ft. Wilderness to someone who's scared of dogs. I read on Disneys site that dogs are allowed in certian loops and there is a dog park. Are dogs allowed in any other areas, like the pools? Normally the would be NO WAY would even think about staying in an areahat alowed dogs, but camping at Ft. Wilderness would save are large family quite a bit of money. The kids are always talking about going camping, so I know they would love it.

I too, have a fear of dogs I do not know. We have camped at FW since they opened, and of course now that they allow animals, we always camp in the 100-200 loops, and we've only encountered a couple dogs, and they were the exception because of mix-up on ressies, etc. In one case, it was someone who didn't want to pay the pet fee and they were "booted" out (large dog they had smuggled in - go figure)

We have been assured they do not allow dogs normally in those loops under normal circumstances, and I always ask each time we book. Also, they are not allowed in the public areas (boat dock, restaurant, etc.) so we usually never see them.

I think you would be safe if you camp in one of those sites. Of course, if you walk around/bike in the pet loops you will encounter dogs. They are *supposed* to always be restrained, but there are some that push the rule.

:welcome: and have a good stay!

My fear of dogs is as bad as it can get as far a phobias go. Thanks for the info. We're going to have to pass on camping.

We just returned for the 200 loop and yes, they do allow dogs. They were small ones so it wasn't a problem as they were not that close to us. Our 16 month old is also afraid of them.

I have been camping at Fort Wilderness for a number of years and have had no trouble with dogs.:thumbsup2 Yes in the last couple of years there have been more than usual but they are all on leashes! We do not have any dogs ourselves and I would say( do not stay in the 500 loop) (we were there one year and it is definately doggie loop)!:confused3 We love Disney and Ft Wilderness and would not let this stop you from going and enjoying all the fort has to offer!! All the dogs are very well behaved and I'd say nothing to be afraid of..If it bothers you ask to be transferred to another loop!! Try it!! Remember these dogs that go there with their families are just another one of their children!!!!:banana:

We have dogs, and have never brought them to FW (all day in the park, not much fun for the dogs) I am actually surprised how few dogs we have seen there, something to remember though is it is a very big CG.

we have even stayed during the busiest times and on the dog loops and still have seen very few dogs. I think most areas people don't actually bring their dogs to the areas typically traveled by guests,probably because there are plenty of other areas to walk them.
I don't remember ever seeing a dog off-leash except in the dog park.

If you do go I hope you have a great trip!

just remember that service dogs are allowed at all resorts and parks so you could meet a dog anywhere including restaraunts. most times this would be a larger dog. you would not be warned that a service dog is in area.

just remember that service dogs are allowed at all resorts and parks so you could meet a dog anywhere including restaraunts. most times this would be a larger dog. you would not be warned that a service dog is in area.

I can handle service dogs as long as I'm not too close, but others I just can't. I'm even scared of new born puppies. I think we more then most likely do 2 rooms at a value resort. Thanks you all for sharing.

Not that have any real experience, I would say that if you are going to run into a dog on property at all FW is where it will happen.

I recently read a thread that people were encountering police dogs on the monorails. I would hope that a pet owner that would bring a dog to fw would only do so with a well behaved dog

There are dedicated non pet loops, so just make sure that Disney knows and remind them on check-in. I would say if your phobia is bad that as a dog owner I will respect it if you say something as I approach. My dogs are very friendly so as I am walking they may try and sniff as I pass by. But I did have one lady tell me before I got near her she was afraid of dogs so I choked up on their leashes as we closed so they could not get close and stood to the side as she passed (there was no other place for her to walk then that sidewalk.) I would like to say all owners would do that, but that is likely not the case.

DH an I are planning our 1 first trip for 2014. I was wondering if you would recomend camping at Ft. Wilderness to someone who's scared of dogs.

I am not scared of dogs, but I don't like the idea of vacationing with other people's pets, and I do not like WDW's policy of allowing dogs at Fort Wilderness. I hope someday they change it back to what it was a few years ago - no pets. But that won't happen any time soon - we live in a culture of pets and many people even strangely refer to their dogs as their children.

My experience with Fort Wilderness and dogs is that you will definitely see them. In Fort Wilderness you will see dogs being walked, and you will see dogs riding on golf carts with their owners. And sometimes you will hear them barking. And of course my experience with dog owners is that many push the envelope of the rules when it comes to their pets; i.e. if there is not a policeman or other person of authority nearby to tell them to not break the rules, there is a good chance they will break the rules if doing so would provide a significant convenience.

In any case, based on your follow up posts in this thread you seem to have an extreme fear of dogs, so I would suggest you not stay at Fort Wilderness. That is regrettable as it is a wonderful, relaxing place with lots to do, would be fun for your children and provide many happy memories.

Yes, in 15 years of camping at the Fort and having a dog have never seen dogs running wild. All dogs required to be leashed and they are. Ask Disney to set you up far away from dog loops.

Yes, in 15 years of camping at the Fort and having a dog have never seen dogs running wild. All dogs required to be leashed and they are. Ask Disney to set you up far away from dog loops.

Yes but this is not a regular situation where they just don't want to be around a pet loop.

The OP probably will have a very adverse reaction if they have even what you think is a perfectly normal brief encounter with a dog.

Not that dogs at Ft Wilderness are likely to be a problem for anyone, but it sounds like some therapy is in order to get to the root of the problem...when and where it originated, and why. It sounds like you are passing this phobia on to your child instead of finding out why it's a problem and solving it. Dogs can be a warm and comforting friend. They can be trained to be docile or aggressive or anything in between. You and you son can also be "trained" to accept dogs. Get help before another generation is saddled with your affliction. This is not meant to be mean spirited, and I understand you are afraid, but it is meant in the interest of help.

Also pretty sure not in tents and you have to have hard sides to your trailer but not sure about the last part. Might have changed.

An unrelated to camping, FW, and dogs suggestion to the OP. In addition to looking at two rooms in a value to accomodate your large family, you may want to price renting points from a DVC owner and stay in one of Disney's Timeshare condos.

Have fun planning your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter