Would you rather: Split Swan/Poly or Pop!

angrysnail

Earning My Ears
Howdy all!

Trying to decide if my husband and I want to go through the trouble of a split stay (two nights Swan on SPG points, four nights Poly w/dining booked through TA with deep discount) or do 7 nights at Pop w/dining.

Doing the split stay we'd have to get to the Swan on our own (no Magical Express), our tickets would be attached to our second reservation so we'd have to activate them early or whatever...and our dining wouldn't be active until our 3rd day. On the other hand...I love me a deluxe resort.

Staying at pop seems much more easy-breezy. I have wanted to try a value resort, we wouldn't have to switch hotels in the middle, dining would be available the whole time, etc. etc. but...the Polynesian. Also we love the Epcot resort area so would be nice to try the Swan!

Any thoughts on split stays with non-disney hotels? It is very hard to make this decision. With the use of points to book the swan, the prices for the two trips are comparable, and I've been wanting to stay at the Poly for a while now - the last time I stayed there was when I was a kid in the early 90s!

If it were me I'd do the split stay, no question. 7 nights at a value is about 6 nights beyond my limit. We'll use one if we need an extra night and want that night to be on property, but outside of that they just aren't my idea of a comfortable vacation accommodation. We aren't park sun-up to sun-down people and really value the ability to enjoy down time at our resort. I like to have a balcony or patio on which to enjoy a cup of coffee or glass of wine. I also like a separate sitting area beyond my hotel bed, and you might get that at Poly and Swan. The ability to walk to DHS and Epcot from Swan and take a boat or monorail to MK from the Poly - that's enough right there as well.

You'll be without a room for a short while on your check out/check in day, but to me that would be worth it.

I've done split; two, three and four hotels. I would never do more than two again.

Question: Is it possible to do your Swan at the back end? This gets you ME there to Poly (way bigger perk to me than taking it back), this starts your tickets and dining immediately. This would give you dining through midnight on your day you move to Swan so that is a big plus. Then your "taxi" to airport at the end would mean no sitting around hours ahead for MDE.

While I could easily stay at POP a week (have stayed as long as 12 days), especially in the new rooms, because we are usually out enjoying parks, DS etc ... if you always wanted to try Poly and this point/combo trip makes it possible I would go with it. BUT I'd try to finish at the Swan.

Question: Is POP with the regular DDP? That would factor my decision too. I'd only want the DDP, not QSDP.

If it were me I'd do the split stay, no question. 7 nights at a value is about 6 nights beyond my limit. We'll use one if we need an extra night and want that night to be on property, but outside of that they just aren't my idea of a comfortable vacation accommodation. We aren't park sun-up to sun-down people and really value the ability to enjoy down time at our resort. I like to have a balcony or patio on which to enjoy a cup of coffee or glass of wine. I also like a separate sitting area beyond my hotel bed, and you might get that at Poly and Swan. The ability to walk to DHS and Epcot from Swan and take a boat or monorail to MK from the Poly - that's enough right there as well.

You'll be without a room for a short while on your check out/check in day, but to me that would be worth it.

Wow! You've really summed it up. Thanks :)

I've done split; two, three and four hotels. I would never do more than two again.

Question: Is it possible to do your Swan at the back end? This gets you ME there to Poly (way bigger perk to me than taking it back), this starts your tickets and dining immediately. This would give you dining through midnight on your day you move to Swan so that is a big plus. Then your "taxi" to airport at the end would mean no sitting around hours ahead for MDE.

While I could easily stay at POP a week (have stayed as long as 12 days), especially in the new rooms, because we are usually out enjoying parks, DS etc ... if you always wanted to try Poly and this point/combo trip makes it possible I would go with it. BUT I'd try to finish at the Swan.

Question: Is POP with the regular DDP? That would factor my decision too. I'd only want the DDP, not QSDP.

We could do the Swan on the back end, and I'm thinking more and more this is what we might do (I hadn't thought about how annoying ME can be at the end of the trip and that it wouldn't be such a bad thing to zip back to MCO in an uber). I just have a little hesitation because ending at a non-disney hotel feels like blasphemy (even though it is literally in the Disney bubble. I think I may need to get over myself.)

Pop would be DDP, and would be nice to make our home there for the week and not have to worry about switching resorts.

The more I think about it though, the more I think we should do the split stay even though it will be a little work!

Thank you for the reply!

We could do the Swan on the back end, and I'm thinking more and more this is what we might do (I hadn't thought about how annoying ME can be at the end of the trip and that it wouldn't be such a bad thing to zip back to MCO in an uber). I just have a little hesitation because ending at a non-disney hotel feels like blasphemy (even though it is literally in the Disney bubble. I think I may need to get over myself.)

Pop would be DDP, and would be nice to make our home there for the week and not have to worry about switching resorts.

The more I think about it though, the more I think we should do the split stay even though it will be a little work!

Thank you for the reply!

NOOOOOOO ...... getting on Magical Express as soon as you arrive at MCO with all the excited folks .... getting dropped off at POLY to start your Disney vacation when you are excited and ready to go and be part of all things Disney. Living the dream stay. Then by the end of the week you'll be tired, ready for more relaxing deluxe, peaceful and easy walks to Epcot, plan your low key meals at the end - maybe enjoying appetizers instead of big meals at more adult spots. Then a quiet efficient ride to the airport not bustling for the bus.

NOOOOOOO ...... getting on Magical Express as soon as you arrive at MCO with all the excited folks .... getting dropped off at POLY to start your Disney vacation when you are excited and ready to go and be part of all things Disney. Living the dream stay. Then by the end of the week you'll be tired, ready for more relaxing deluxe, peaceful and easy walks to Epcot, plan your low key meals at the end - maybe enjoying appetizers instead of big meals at more adult spots. Then a quiet efficient ride to the airport not bustling for the bus.

Haha, you're so right!

Poly/Swan hands down. We do a split stay every time (just one night dvc then switch to Swan/Dolphin). We love S&D. It's gorgeous, great pools that are not nearly as crowded as Disney-owned resorts... and the walk to/from Epcot at night... so nice. We will never go back to Pop. Once you realize how nice it is to do Epcot area.. it's hard to go back to anything else. ALSO: buses are so much easier from S&D. The Pop lines are ridiculous and for the most part S/D buses are prevalent and they are always a closer bus stop walk than the values at the parks. We also use points to stay. It is the greatest. We've been able to go annually (strategic credit card bonuses between SPG and Marriott) and it's amazing compared to the cost of staying at a deluxe Disney property in Epcot area.

I would not switch to stay at Poly first.
We stayed at the Dolphin for one night on our way home from visiting my parents. I loved it so much I booked another stay there for a few nights. Wanting to extend the trip I added the Poly for 2 nights before the Dolphin nights.
Well....I hated the dolphin after my Poly stay.
I do a lot of split stay and I always make sure I end the trip with the resort I like the most.

I liked the Swan, but because it isn't owned by Disney, the magic bubble stops at the door and it's a very good, but not Disney, hotel. If you can stand the step down in room, I would suggest splitting the stay between two Disney resorts. I haven't stayed at Pop Century but it looks fun. Poly was of course terrific.

I would do the Poly/Swan split stay. I'm just not a fan of Pop Century or value resorts in general.
With the Swan you are within walking distance/or boat ride to Epcot.
And with the Poly, you are right there with transport to MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter