Would you join a lawsuit to revert DVC's resale restrictions?

You think DVC would let it get that far? I don't. Most are just not willing to call their bluff. I don't really care at this point. I've learned my lesson. This doesn't effect me, so :confused3
Yup. Most of us here CAN book at Riviera and future resorts. Lesson is, if you want to stay at Riviera, either buy additional points direct or buy Riviera itself. No where near worth some of the headaches mentioned in this thread.

Unless they hired an attorney and filed a lawsuit, my opinion supports exactly what they did. They applied direct consumer pressure. I think you need to re-read my post.

I have no issue "questioning Disney" and applying direct consumer pressure. That is miles away from hiring an attorney and being a named plaintiff on a lawsuit where you could end up paying for both sides of the litigation if you lose.
Yes, but the title of this thread is a spinoff of another thread that started with the idea of a lawsuit and morphed into action and ideas. I mean absolutely no disrespect, but I will not simply accept posts as unquestioningly valid until the poster has established a reputation on the boards.

Last edited:
Yup. Most of us here CAN book at Riviera and future resorts. Lesson is, if you want to stay at Riviera, either buy additional points direct or buy Riviera itself. No where near worth some of the headaches mentioned in this thread.
I think if you'd read through all of the other thread you would find that I do believe it to be worth it, but me personally, I am tired of fighting the good fight when others don't give a flying fig.

I think if you'd read through all of the other thread you would find that I do believe it to be worth it, but me personally, I am tired of fighting the good fight when others don't give a flying fig.
This is the crux of the issue. I know personally I've talked to and approached DVC management on this issue, similar as I did with the 2020 point reallocation. For all the complaints on the boards I really don't see much traction on this issue, mostly because I think people don't care to fight (because when it comes down to it, its really not much of a problem to them so its easier to ignore).

I still strongly suggest (as I posted here and many places) the reasonable and likely way to get anywhere with DVC is flooding them with complaints through letters and calls. Though as far as I am aware maybe 1 other person Aron1012 spoke with DVC about this too (at least those that posted on the boards). I'm not entirely convinced what they did is illegal or against our contracts but I do believe it isn't in the best interest of DVC as a whole. I think eventually the product will change overtime as DVC tries to normalize this action.

This is the crux of the issue. I know personally I've talked to and approached DVC management on this issue, similar as I did with the 2020 point reallocation. For all the complaints on the boards I really don't see much traction on this issue, mostly because I think people don't care to fight (because when it comes down to it, its really not much of a problem to them so its easier to ignore).

I still strongly suggest (as I posted here and many places) the reasonable and likely way to get anywhere with DVC is flooding them with complaints through letters and calls. Though as far as I am aware maybe 1 other person @Aron1012 spoke with DVC about this too (at least those that posted on the boards). I'm not entirely convinced what they did is illegal or against our contracts but I do believe it isn't in the best interest of DVC as a whole. I think eventually the product will change overtime as DVC tries to normalize this action.
Agreed. I contacted them over the previous issue and the new grocery delivery fee. I'm done. We on Dis are probably the most vocal and are willing to self-advocate (and its only a minority of us at that). I lost in the reversal of the 2020 chart and the FB pixie dust snorters gained, but they did nothing but discourage and mock our efforts. Yeah, I'll allow someone else to beat their head against the wall.

So if next time they decide your resort is no longer eligible to stay at any other resorts. They confirmed when I talked with them that theoretically could be an option, but they couldn't see exercising it. Would you care then?

I get that not everyone is concerned about this issue. I have no interest in booking Riviera personally, but I am concerned that DVC feels like it can bend and twist the deeded rights of these contracts anytime they please. Yes we could all just sell our contracts and move on. You could say that about any piece of real estate including your home. If you don't like the rules that your city, county, state, or neighborhood association make why not just sell and move?

My answer would be if I am in the right I shouldn't have to sell. Now a court may not agree but I don't see the point in trying to intimidate others with doomsday scenarios when they may be stepping up to help all of us, including you.

Last edited:
Yup. Most of us here CAN book at Riviera and future resorts. Lesson is....
In my opinion the lesson is that DVD has decided that simply adding 'Blue Card' benefits is insufficient to their needs and they now feel free to rewrite our contracts as it suits them. Or at least semi-free - as I detailed upthread in response to Bing Showei's question on the desired endgame, DVD wrote their way out of the restrictions if they are called on them.

Unlike everything else they have done in the past this really is breaching the wall of the protections written into our contracts. And after reading what they wrote into the DDR contracts - particularly section "Exhibit F 4.10 - DVD Future Restrictions, Limitations, or Changes" - I would NEVER buy into Riviera no matter how nice the resort.

mostly because I think people don't care to fight (because when it comes down to it, its really not much of a problem to them so its easier to ignore).

This is us for sure. There are things in this world that I have more expertise than others in but DVC is not one of them. I know the basics of it, how to use my points, and some finer details but not many. I work full time, have 2 young kids who keep us extremely busy and don’t have the time to comb and memorize 100s of pages of legal jargon, prioritize the inner workings of a time share management company, or spend hours on the phone with representatives. It’s just not something I’m passionate about. Others are and that’s great. Nothing wrong with that.

My own thoughts on DVC are When we purchased we made peace with the fact that this purchase may be worth nothing someday (we didn’t even know about the strong resale market when we bought). It was a risk that we took (although seemed safer than other luxary purchases). Like a car or tv we we’ll get every ounce of use out of it and when we are done if we can get some money back great, if not, then it is what it is. If the absolute worse happened tomorrow and DVC went bankrupt of course it would be upsetting but we definitely got more out of it than we put in. I hope that never happens but it’s something we can make peace with if it does. Of course I would love to sell our points for more than we paid (which we can do right now) but when we first purchased we didn’t see that as a reality so won’t be upset if it doesn’t happen. In no way saying that I want or hoping that it happens just that, if it does, we are prepared to deal with it.

I’m more of a silent protestor. I don’t make waves of noise when something happens that I don’t like. I just change my habits. When we first bought DVC we were doing two trips a year, then one, now it will be ever 2-3 years. That’s not spite for us, just reality. It was mostly cost increases, but part ‘time for something new’. We have a lengthy January trip coming up that may be our last WDW trip for several years. Before it was always planning the next, now it’s ‘I don’t know when we will be back’. Priorities change. It’s sad for us in a way but I don’t expect any company to only cater to us. I understand why price goes up, they don’t change rides every year, and meals are the same at most restaurants. There is no Ill will towards the company or their practices but we’ve always ‘protested’ with our wallets.

All these changes affect us but it’s not something that concerns me. We are getting/got exactly what we wanted out of our purchase and then some plus what we have purchased has not changed at all. Others demand more and that is fine. All the power too you but I’m sure many are like me and it’s just not worth the fight for something that has such little overall affect on our lives. I have friends that are desperately trying to get out of timeshares they bought after only a year or two. We’ve never had that feeling with DVC. So in the end I feel like we have done alright and just don’t have the energy to join these ‘potential’ lawsuits that pop up.

So if next time they decide your resort is no longer eligible to stay at any other resorts. They confirmed when I talked with them that theoretically could be an option, but they couldn't see exercising it. Would you care then?

I do expect this will happen to those of us with expiring contracts sometime in 2040 to 2042, and given the logistics of those circumstances, it doesn't bother me.

I'm not entirely convinced what they did is illegal or against our contracts but I do believe it isn't in the best interest of DVC as a whole. I think eventually the product will change overtime as DVC tries to normalize this action.

I have no interest in booking Riviera personally, but I am concerned that DVC feels like it can bend and twist the deeded rights of these contracts anytime they please.

In my opinion the lesson is that DVD has decided that simply adding 'Blue Card' benefits is insufficient to their needs and they now feel free to rewrite our contracts as it suits them. Or at least semi-free - as I detailed upthread in response to Bing Showei's question on the desired endgame, DVD wrote their way out of the restrictions if they are called on them.

Unlike everything else they have done in the past this really is breaching the wall of the protections written into our contracts. And after reading what they wrote into the DDR contracts - particularly section "Exhibit F 4.10 - DVD Future Restrictions, Limitations, or Changes" - I would NEVER buy into Riviera no matter how nice the resort.

This all is exactly how I feel.

All these changes affect us but it’s not something that concerns me. We are getting/got exactly what we wanted out of our purchase and then some plus what we have purchased has not changed at all. Others demand more and that is fine. All the power too you but I’m sure many are like me and it’s just not worth the fight for something that has such little overall affect on our lives. I have friends that are desperately trying to get out of timeshares they bought after only a year or two. We’ve never had that feeling with DVC.

I respect your opinion and I think that if I were in your shoes, I would feel exactly the same. I'm coming at this as a new DVC purchaser - resale, and I've been trying to work out exactly what we are getting now. We know this purchase may be worth nothing as soon as we close on it, we expect that, and we only want to be able to enjoy the years of vacations left on the deed. But will we be able to do that, or will DVC keep squeezing us with so many restrictions that we can't look forward to Disney trips anymore? Where's the line? Will we end up like your friends, desperately trying to get out of our DVC timeshare next year? I would not say that others demand more than you. I would say that others are demanding the same.

I mean, obviously we've weighed the pros and cons and we've still decided to go ahead and jump in. But once our contract is finalized I do plan on contacting Member Admin to voice my questions and concerns.

I do believe time is on our side on this one.

As time goes by, more and more resale purchasers will buy both DRR and the L14 resorts, meaning more people willing to battle Disney. The L14 resorts documents haven't been amended, they all still have the wording about other resorts joining the Club only if they have substiantially similar rules. In my opinion, a resale purchaser now gets with the same rights as an older one becuase the POS and other related documents are stil the original ones (so the same rules, regulations and rights still apply to them).

At the same time, Disney will sell more and more DRR points to people. They're selling using the resale restrictions as an incentive to people, they wouldn't have introduced the restriction if they didn't think they could help to sell. So a judge could rule that Disney have to give the option to cancel the contract to all DRR purchasers if the restrictions are lifted, maybe refund all MF paid, all interests charged on financing. The more time passes, the greter the risk for DVC, the easier to make Disney capitulate and maybe win the lawsuit at the arbitration stage (or even before).

Of course, only if the lawsuit has solid basis, so this thread is very important, please keep the opinions coming.

One point - the argument that the Riviera is no longer "similar" to the other resorts could backfire. They could just say: "OK, we'll make it so ALL resale contracts from now on at ALL resorts can only stay at their home resort. There, now they are all the same." I myself and perfectly happy to have the L14 be all I can get into with any future contracts.

One point - the argument that the Riviera is no longer "similar" to the other resorts could backfire. They could just say: "OK, we'll make it so ALL resale contracts from now on at ALL resorts can only stay at their home resort. There, now they are all the same." I myself and perfectly happy to have the L14 be all I can get into with any future contracts.
I think this change might be a bit harder to get through regulators because it would be an extensive change to the DVC Resort Agreements that are in place. And amending that document is much more difficult than modifying the Disclosure Document of BVTC and introducing a new resort with the restrictions. Mostly because they would be removing contractual guarantees where introduction Riviera removed nothing (since it was never guaranteed until it signed its Resort Agreement).

I do expect this will happen to those of us with expiring contracts sometime in 2040 to 2042, and given the logistics of those circumstances, it doesn't bother me.

I was talking more about the possibility of excluding a resort in the near future. I threw out the scenario that maybe they could keep SS from trading into any other resort in 5 years because resale was so cheap there it was hurting direct sales at the new locations. The person I talked with indicated that could be done because they have the ability to modify the agreements. But she said no need to worry because they wouldn't do that.:rolleyes:

I was talking more about the possibility of excluding a resort in the near future. I threw out the scenario that maybe they could keep SS from trading into any other resort in 5 years because resale was so cheap there it was hurting direct sales at the new locations. The person I talked with indicated that could be done because they have the ability to modify the agreements. But she said no need to worry because they wouldn't do that.:rolleyes:
I would suspect the only practical way this could be done is by removing SSR from the club. And the removal from the club is quite difficult and well defined. As for modifying the agreements the regulators have to approve and my guess is they might question that. Plus even the remote possibility of it happening would be the day Disney decided to not care about DVC anymore.

I would suspect the only practical way this could be done is by removing SSR from the club. And the removal from the club is quite difficult and well defined. As for modifying the agreements the regulators have to approve and my guess is they might question that. Plus even the remote possibility of it happening would be the day Disney decided to not care about DVC anymore.

I don't disagree with your thoughts. But until a few months ago I wouldn't have thought they could (or would) have added a new resort to the club with these kind of restrictions.

I also wonder about the regulator approval. DVCMC was quick to point out that all this was acceptable because the regulators approved it. I haven't been able to find out what that approval really covers. Are the regulators reviewing that adding DRR to the club conforms with the agreement with BVTC or only that the new POS for DRR conforms to state laws? I would suspect it is only the latter, but honestly I have not been able to track down an answer to that.

Short answer. No, I would not join a lawsuit against Disney. They didn't get where they are by failing to dot their i's and cross their t's. You won't win.

That's the exact same thing the head of Regulatory Affairs told me about the 2020 charts. Yet two days later they were rolled back.
First I like your signature, hadn't noticed it before, as one of them too it's good to see you owning it. Second I'm surprised that you were told that I actually inquired and was told the process is approved but not the yearly point charts. Essentially what I was told was because the process is dictated in the POS that was approved but the final charts were not. Though I might have been mishearing what she said but more than likely it was word smithing meant to cause confusion.

I'm surprised more haven't been contact with DVC to voice displeasure (legal or not) about the changes. I think perhaps the purpose of this thread should do what the point reallocation thread morphed into. Less about a lawsuit and more about just letting DVC know the members didn't like the change.

I'm not a DVCer but have watched these threads (and contributed a bit too) with fascination. I think there should be far more voicing concerns directly to DVC. I agree with much of consensus that a lawsuit doesn't seem like it would get a satisfactory result. But I hope that those that have said yes to a lawsuit have already contacted DVC directly to express their concerns.

We toured DVC last week - I liked Riviera more than I expected to - but would never consider the resort based on the restrictions. It just seems like it harms the direct purchasers most of all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter