Would You Have Taken Back The TV from Grandma?

Would have taken back the TV

• Yes I would have taken it back

Votes: 304 97.4%
  • No I would have let her keep it

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • Other - even though I don't see how there could be an other lol

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters
Haha. That is so funny. That is like the time my brother in law came over to "borrow" my vitamix blender for a party no one was home since I was traveling and wife was out. He has a key for emergencies. I come back to find out he broke it and cannot afford to buy a new one. At least granny didn't break the tv while moving it.

Are you sure? Or could he just be claiming it's broken so he can keep it?

I would have done exactly what the op did. After MIL pulling that stunt, I would also change the locks in my home.

Everybody keeps saying they'd change the locks but I just assumed her DS let grandma in. Who wouldn't let their grandma in? I don't think changing the locks will help in this instance.
Good point. Maybe he did let her in, but if she has a key to my house, she would have one no longer, because I wouldn't trust her to be there if DH or I were not there. That still wouldn't stop her from coming in if DS let her in though, but at least she would know that I no longer trusted her.

Hi OP here, so, first of all I would like to know who voted "Yes" and "Other" lol.

Just to answer a few things that have been mentioned:

Grandma does not have a key, my son let her in. (Because why wouldn't he? He didn't know he was about to be strong-armed out of his tv!)

As for my husband he was at work, and in fact with the long hours he is working this week (he is management in a workplace currently dealing with a strike) he wouldn't have even had time to deal with this until , well, who knows when, and I wasn't willing to wait. He was fully on board with me taking the TV back though.

The people that helped her take the TV were the two adult sons of her next door neighbour. They help her out a lot with various neighbourly things, and from what I have seen of them in the past, seem like fine young men. (That's why I tried to give them a neutral sounding name like "helpers", rather than "henchmen" or "goon squad" lol.) I am sure they simply thought they were being kind by helping her move a TV. I don't blame them at all!

I don't believe there are cognitive issues, only boundary issues. We don't have her dog sit when we go away anymore, due to issues like rearranging our furniture ("doesn't it look SO MUCH BETTER like this?") , reorganizing our drawers ("They were just SO MESSY. I have sorted them by colour!") (I hate that she touched my underwear lol) and trying to "help" by getting rid of things from the garage and basement ("I brought 6 garbage bags of your stuff to the dump! Don't worry I only brought stuff I didn't think you needed!"). I mean she is not constantly like that, these are three things that have happened over like 20 years and they have been shut down each time...So this doesn't exactly shock me, although it is a new low. We usually just laugh and joke that she is a sitcom mother-in-law, but this one was too unfair to my son.

As for me being the "bad guy", yeah, there are rumblings of that. Apparently she is very hurt?! Hey, if any one takes her side they can let her take their TV, have at it lol.

This thread has me laughing until tears are streaming down my face.... Grammy didn't choose the thug life, the thug life chose Grammy!!! lol

This is soooo going down in DIS history and I'm sure will be referenced and referred to for years to come!! Thanks for the Thursday laughs, OP!

The OP didn't say that her DH was okay with it....
I never said that the OP said they were okay with it.
I was directly answering Solidiers Sweetie's comment to me, just above that last post.

I simply wondered where the OP's spouse was at in all of this. Because it really stood out to me that they were not mentioned at all.
I am not the one who assumed that there were major marital issues....
I never said 'marital issues'.
A totally unfounded flame by a couple of others here....
Good try, anyhow.

Gotta love it when people don't even know if they are reading the same thread, because some people only choose to read what they want, and then twist words into something that never was....

That's the DIS!!!!

Projecting much????

Obviously the OP, like may of us, have no problem sticking up for ourselves or family members against other family members whether related by blood or marriage. We are quite capable of handling issues without having to run to our spouses with, "waaaahh, you're XXXXX did this to me. Go fix it or you don't love me."

:wave2: Hi @Skywalker. Thanks for the update. Would you mind telling us how Grandma reacted when you went to get the TV back and what she had to say for herself? We're all fascinated by this story popcorn::. And if your interaction was civil and ended well, why is she so "hurt" now?

This is a horrible story but DEFINITELY one that will be in the disboard history books!! I am just picturing a small, frail gray-haired woman with glasses...... dressed in " thug clothes" with jeans rolled up wearing doc martins.

#thuggranny

This is a horrible story but DEFINITELY one that will be in the disboard history books!! I am just picturing a small, frail gray-haired woman with glasses...... dressed in " thug clothes" with jeans rolled up wearing doc martins.

#thuggranny

No, reading the whole thread, I really was thinking Marie Barone. Totally sounds like something she'd do. In a 22 minute sitcom episode.

marieb.jpg

I don't believe there are cognitive issues, only boundary issues. We don't have her dog sit when we go away anymore, due to issues like rearranging our furniture ("doesn't it look SO MUCH BETTER like this?") , reorganizing our drawers ("They were just SO MESSY. I have sorted them by colour!") (I hate that she touched my underwear lol) and trying to "help" by getting rid of things from the garage and basement ("I brought 6 garbage bags of your stuff to the dump! Don't worry I only brought stuff I didn't think you needed!"). I mean she is not constantly like that, these are three things that have happened over like 20 years and they have been shut down each time...So this doesn't exactly shock me, although it is a new low. We usually just laugh and joke that she is a sitcom mother-in-law, but this one was too unfair to my son.

She rearranged your underwear drawer???? I would have died. :eek: :faint:

I would have set some strict boundaries right then and there. There is no need for anyone to be rifling through my drawers and rearranging my clothes, especially my undies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!