Would You Have Taken Back The TV from Grandma?

Would have taken back the TV

• Yes I would have taken it back

Votes: 304 97.4%
  • No I would have let her keep it

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • Other - even though I don't see how there could be an other lol

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters
So, somebody in your DH's family would come into your home, while you all were away, and steal something, from you or your son, worth some pretty good cash...
And, if he were okay with that... you would not say anything.... there would be no 'effect', no discussion.

Not me.
But, hey, different strokes for different folks!

Okay, what thread are you reading? Nobody said that.

The OP didn't say that her DH was okay with it....
I never said that the OP said they were okay with it.
I was directly answering Solidiers Sweetie's comment to me, just above that last post.

I simply wondered where the OP's spouse was at in all of this. Because it really stood out to me that they were not mentioned at all.
I am not the one who assumed that there were major marital issues....
I never said 'marital issues'.
A totally unfounded flame by a couple of others here....
Good try, anyhow.

Gotta love it when people don't even know if they are reading the same thread, because some people only choose to read what they want, and then twist words into something that never was....

That's the DIS!!!!

That's terrible! What kind of craziness is that? Just march over and take something because you don't have one? I guess I've never realized that the world worked that way. o_O

The OP didn't say that her DH was okay with it....
Also didn't say that he had a problem. YOU brought up that you'd like to know her DH's stance.

I never said that the OP said they were okay with it.
I was directly answering Solidiers Sweetie's comment to me, just above that last post.
Unless you quote someone, how is a reader supposed to know what you're responding to?

I simply wondered where the OP's spouse was at in all of this. Because it really stood out to me that they were not mentioned at all.
I think you read too much into the "no mention"

I am not the one who assumed that there were major marital issues....
I never said 'marital issues'.
A totally unfounded flame by a couple of others here....
Good try, anyhow.
Here you go...
In-law issues ARE marital issues.
If there is agreement, then good!
If there is disagreement between a husband and a wife, then yes, wouldn't that be a personal 'marital' issue with them.
Pretty much by definition.

Gotta love it when people don't even know if they are reading the same thread, because some people only choose to read what they want, and then twist words into something that never was....

That's the DIS!!!!
Of course, it's easy to lose track of who's saying what to who(m?) when people just reply and don't quote what they're replying to.

Are you going to chalk this up to another "attack" or "flame"?

Last edited:

Also didn't say that he had a problem. YOU brought up that you'd like to know her DH's stance.

Unless you quote someone, how is a reader supposed to know what you're responding to?

I think you read too much into the "no mention"

Here you go...

Of course, it's easy to lose track of who's saying what to who(m?) when people just reply and don't quote what they're replying to.

Are you going to chalk this up to another "attack" or "flame"?
Thank you for taking the time to break that down. I knew she was responding to me but I was far to lazy to multi-quote and point everything out.

Thread title sounds so harsh ha. Anyway, my 15 year old son has a very nice TV in his room (he won it in a raffle about a year ago). No problems with it at all, he's a good kid. The other day I came home and the TV was gone and he told me that his grandmother came over with a couple helpers and took it. Apparently hers had stopped working and she remembered he had one so she came to get it. Her reasons she gave him were:

- he doesn't need a TV in his room at his age
- he won it in a raffle so he isn't really out any money
- she can't afford to buy a new one

My son uses the TV a lot (Netflix, gaming, etc.) and was pretty sad about it but didn't want to argue with her because he felt bad. I went over to my mother-in-law's and took it back. I mean, I was perfectly nice about it and all, and I also very clearly told her if she could not afford one, we could talk about helping her out with that, but just taking my son's was not the option.

I guess it bothered me the most that she waited until "the adults" were not home and maybe hoped we wouldn't notice lol.

I felt like if she walked into my living room and made off with my TV it would be wrong, so it was just as wrong that she did it with my son's.

Would you have done the same thing or let Grandma keep the TV? (I debated letting her keep it and buying my son a new one, but that just didn't sit right with me - I wanted her to know what she did was not okay by me)

(And no even though this post feels really long, this really is not taking up a lot of time in my life lol, just was wondering for the sake of discussion.)

I would be livid if my mother or my mother in law did that. How incredibly rude. And, yes, I would have marched straight over there and brought it back.

I can't imagine any one, relative or not, taking something without asking first.
Don't flame me, but if she can't afford $70 for a basic new TV at Walmart, she needs to look at her budget.

I'm not flaming you, but that's not really fair. Maybe she lives on disability or social security. I've been poor before and there is often no $70 to spare on anything but food.

Yup, she flat out stole it from him! I'd be curious about some of the back story, though. Has she always been a tool? Or was this just from out of left field completely?
I was thinking the same thing. I am wondering how much she may have done things like this in her life. OP never said what the grandmother said when she picked it up.

Wow, 121 votes for taking it back, 0 for not taking it back!! This is cause for a Disboards celebration!! :rotfl:

I can't even imagine a grandmother doing what she did! And bringing other people to help her take it? Wow!! I'm so glad you took it back! She definitely had absolutely no right to take it, and if it were me I wouldn't be wanting to help her buy one of her own after what she did. Shame, shame on her!!!

DH should really be the one to go get it back and have a "come to Jesus" conversation with her with her since it's his mother, but since you got it , he needs to have a stern chat with his Mom.
Agreed - it's his mother and he should have handled it

Wow, 121 votes for taking it back, 0 for not taking it back!! This is cause for a Disboards celebration!! :rotfl:

I can't even imagine a grandmother doing what she did! And bringing other people to help her take it? Wow!! I'm so glad you took it back! She definitely had absolutely no right to take it, and if it were me I wouldn't be wanting to help her buy one of her own after what she did. Shame, shame on her!!!
I am also wondering how old the people were that helped her, and did not realize what they did was help steal? I hope the Grandmother realizes what she did was wrong.

DH should really be the one to go get it back and have a "come to Jesus" conversation with her with her since it's his mother, but since you got it , he needs to have a stern chat with his Mom.

Agreed - it's his mother and he should have handled it

I realize this is the most common dynamic, but honestly, it's not always reality that "I deal with My family, You deal with Yours" -- WE are family, and WE have been family for 18 years. I have my own relationship with my mother-in-law, and I do not need my DH to intercede anytime something comes up. I'm perfectly capable of handing it myself. I'm actually way more likely to be diplomatic and not cause issues if I'm the one who deals with MIL instead of DH. :lol

Obviously, if I were going to do/say something to my MIL that I thought my DH would take issue with, we'd discuss it first -- but a situation like the one the OP describes would not require I consult him first, or let him handle it. I'd be fully capable of dealing with my MIL on something like this myself.

I realize this is the most common dynamic, but honestly, it's not always reality that "I deal with My family, You deal with Yours" -- WE are family, and WE have been family for 18 years. I have my own relationship with my mother-in-law, and I do not need my DH to intercede anytime something comes up. I'm perfectly capable of handing it myself. I'm actually way more likely to be diplomatic and not cause issues if I'm the one who deals with MIL instead of DH. :lol

Obviously, if I were going to do/say something to my MIL that I thought my DH would take issue with, we'd discuss it first -- but a situation like the one the OP describes would not require I consult him first, or let him handle it. I'd be fully capable of dealing with my MIL on something like this myself.
Exactly.

This was wrong and horrible, and you were right to take it back. I agree about changing the locks. Having said that, I'd help her to get a new TV.

ETA: I agree with the others about your son. He is a gem

Last edited:
I would have told her that if you had told me about the TV problem and asked for help I would have helped you out but now I won't since you stole my son's TV. I would also tell her that I'm changing the locks and she better not come over unannounced again.

No Grandma was wrong! When my tv got stolen a few years ago, my grandson brought his big ole clunker tv for me to watch til I got another but we lived in the same house, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter