Would You Have Taken Back The TV from Grandma?

Would have taken back the TV

• Yes I would have taken it back

Votes: 304 97.4%
  • No I would have let her keep it

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • Other - even though I don't see how there could be an other lol

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters

Skywalker

Elementary, My Dear Mickey
Thread title sounds so harsh ha. Anyway, my 15 year old son has a very nice TV in his room (he won it in a raffle about a year ago). No problems with it at all, he's a good kid. The other day I came home and the TV was gone and he told me that his grandmother came over with a couple helpers and took it. Apparently hers had stopped working and she remembered he had one so she came to get it. Her reasons she gave him were:

- he doesn't need a TV in his room at his age
- he won it in a raffle so he isn't really out any money
- she can't afford to buy a new one

My son uses the TV a lot (Netflix, gaming, etc.) and was pretty sad about it but didn't want to argue with her because he felt bad. I went over to my mother-in-law's and took it back. I mean, I was perfectly nice about it and all, and I also very clearly told her if she could not afford one, we could talk about helping her out with that, but just taking my son's was not the option.

I guess it bothered me the most that she waited until "the adults" were not home and maybe hoped we wouldn't notice lol.

I felt like if she walked into my living room and made off with my TV it would be wrong, so it was just as wrong that she did it with my son's.

Would you have done the same thing or let Grandma keep the TV? (I debated letting her keep it and buying my son a new one, but that just didn't sit right with me - I wanted her to know what she did was not okay by me)

(And no even though this post feels really long, this really is not taking up a lot of time in my life lol, just was wondering for the sake of discussion.)

Thread title sounds so harsh ha. Anyway, my 15 year old son has a very nice TV in his room (he won it in a raffle about a year ago). No problems with it at all, he's a good kid. The other day I came home and the TV was gone and he told me that his grandmother came over with a couple helpers and took it. Apparently hers had stopped working and she remembered he had one so she came to get it. Her reasons she gave him were:

- he doesn't need a TV in his room at his age
- he won it in a raffle so he isn't really out any money
- she can't afford to buy a new one

My son uses the TV a lot (Netflix, gaming, etc.) and was pretty sad about it but didn't want to argue with her because he felt bad. I went over to my mother-in-law's and took it back. I mean, I was perfectly nice about it and all, and I also very clearly told her if she could not afford one, we could talk about helping her out with that, but just taking my son's was not the option.

I guess it bothered me the most that she waited until "the adults" were not home and maybe hoped we wouldn't notice lol.

I felt like if she walked into my living room and made off with my TV it would be wrong, so it was just as wrong that she did it with my son's.

Would you have done the same thing or let Grandma keep the TV? (I debated letting her keep it and buying my son a new one, but that just didn't sit right with me - I wanted her to know what she did was not okay by me)

(And no even though this post feels really long, this really is not taking up a lot of time in my life lol, just was wondering for the sake of discussion.)

What the heck???

I can't imagine any of my kid's 3 sets of grandparents doing such a thing.

That's stealing and crazy.

Where are her boundaries?

And another thing, dh is a big fan of tv. He always comments about our kids and how they don't use tv like he does-instead they use it for netflix, gaming and videos. I think he still has a hard time getting his head around that one. I guess the grandma in the op does, too. Just because they use the tv differently doesn't mean they don't use THEIR own tv.

Last edited:

Take it back. If she didn't ask - then she stole from her grandson. I can't even imagine.....

You can buy a 40" tv from Best Buy for $200 every single day. Tell her to go buy one.

Good luck.

Yeah----count me in among the appalled at Grandma's behaviour. I would be tempted to chalk it up to possible start of dementia and be worried, except somehow she had two helpers as well? How on earth did she talk two more people into that as well?
In any event, yes, taking it back, politely but firmly, was the right thing to do. And i hope your son is being told he is not requiredto allow his grandmother tp push him around like that in future adn can call you if he is unsure in such a situation again.

I would not tolerate that. I would have driven over and had a "discussion" with Grandma that ended with the TV coming home with me.

ETA: If my own Mom needed a TV I would have just bought one for her. Sadly, I have lost my Mom, but I never let her go without anything. She on the other hand, would have given any one of my kids her last piece of bread if she thought they were in need. I cannot imagine her ever taking from any one of them.

I can't believe that! And from her own grandson too. I would definitely take it back. I'm so flabbergasted at reading you post that I'm not sure what I would say to her at the moment but believe me, we would have a conversation.

Well done, OP and what a rotten situation to find yourself in. I'm curious about how Grandma reacted when you went to her house. Her demeanour would have made a lot of difference as to whether or not I'd prioritize getting her another tv. Also, what did your DH think about the whole situation? You did great and I sincerely hope nobody gets ridiculous and tries to make you the bad guy! :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter