Would you go?

• Yes

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Heck no!

Votes: 41 89.1%

• Total voters

DisneyRegulars

DIS Veteran
Not necessarily a DVC question, but I’m a DVC member and would like other’s opinions.

I just had surgery to repair my ACL yesterday May 1. The surgery requires me to keep my leg straight in a brace for the next 4-6 weeks. The doc has said I can go on my upcoming Disney trip on May 15, but I’m not sure if I should go.

This trip I was meeting up with two of my former students before a conference. We were going to spend three days in the parks. I was lead tour guide as neither former student has ever been to Disney before. They are both super excited!!! We were staying offsite and I had a rental car, but now things have gotten ruined.

I’m not allowed to drive. My guests are too young to rent a car, so we will be at the mercy of Uber’s. I’ll need a scooter in the park if I can even find one that accommodates a straight leg, and good luck getting the scooter in the uber. I’m not allowed to ride any rides.

So that leaves me as basically a tour guide that will slow them down immensely. I was excited about spending time with these two former students, but I’m just not sure that it’s worth it at this point.

Should I back out? I’m worried they won’t go if I don’t go. Or just go and make the best of it?

I just do not think I would risk it. Sadly, I would not go, and I too have met former students at WDW, and I appreciate the satisfaction it gives to see the young adults thriving, and spending fun time with them.

Since you can’t do any rides, I’d cancel. Always a difficult decision.

Last edited:

There would be no way that I'd do Disney 2 weeks after having an ACL repaired. That's about the point where you can start putting weight on the leg, and start physical therapy. I'd re-schedule the trip.

It sounds like with all the barriers it wouldn't really be a good trip and would actually slow them down. If you still want to be their "tour guide" then maybe email them some of your thoughts on how they should tour and what they should do. Then hopefully they can still have an enjoyable trip thanks to your efforts and expertise.

Last edited:
I feel your pain. Had a Disney Vacation planned for 10/19/18, but on 10/1 suffered a major heart attack followed with double by pass on 10/9. My wife was so totally freaked out, but I convinced her to go without me (I just kept telling her that what was she going to do, sit there an watch me sleep for 20 hours a day?). So she and my daughter went, and I am glad they did. They had a great time and by the time they came back I was so much further along in recovery. Now I cannot wait as we are going on Disney Cruise May 25.

Had a L knee replacement done in Oct 2018; was home from work for 5 weeks. Went to EPCOT after two weeks at home, got closed in just setting in the lounge chair the whole time. All I could do at EPCOT was look around at things, did not do any rides. It was during F&W so I got something things to eat/drink and people watched.

Last edited:
So that leaves me as basically a tour guide that will slow them down immensely.
Is that how you want them to remember WDW? This is their first trip and they will be watching out for you. Travel sounds like a nightmare. You're flying with a straight leg? Trying to use the bus system? Sitting across the whole back seat of an Uber? Will you be able to get a big enough Uber? Those would be expensive days in a park when you can't ride any rides, let alone sad.

I'd postpone the trip to when everyone can enjoy it. They are minors, they have many years ahead to experience WDW.

I hope you feel better soon:)

Is that how you want them to remember WDW? This is their first trip and they will be watching out for you. Travel sounds like a nightmare. You're flying with a straight leg? Trying to use the bus system? Sitting across the whole back seat of an Uber? Will you be able to get a big enough Uber? Those would be expensive days in a park when you can't ride any rides, let alone sad.

I'd postpone the trip to when everyone can enjoy it. They are minors, they have many years ahead to experience WDW.

I hope you feel better soon:)

I agree with everything here. I’m leaning more and more towards reschedule. Their first trip needs to be amazing, not feeling guilty for riding rides while I sit in the heat.

You mention a conference. Are you still going to that?

I’m undecided about that as well. Conference starts on saturday which would give me a few extra days to recover before taking a plane, but the same horrible logistics regarding wheel chair/scooter/crutches would apply to the conference too. The doctor is only letting me bend my knee for the plane trip, which tells me I really shouldn’t be bending it yet. I’d think I’d rather skip the trip than have to go through this again.

Sigh...

I agree that you should re schedule. I use the name as AvidDisReader because during my recovery I spent a lot of time on the Discussion Boards. I cannot thank all the contributors enough for there comments and insights. It helped the healing process tremendously. So kick back and enjoy. It will make the anticipation for the next trip all that much sweeter.

So sorry for your injury. We feel your loss and conundrum. My DW suffered a bad ankle break just days before our Viking river cruise last early October. Taking that trip was obviously out as she required surgery and was non weight bearing for 3 months. We also had an early December trip to BRV that we had to rent out as that became obviously an impossibility. We did get down for a quick two night stay just before Christmas, but my wife was 100% chair bound and non weight bearing. We made it work but it was hard as we depended on the bus lifts and I pushed the chair, Happily. Simply put, we postponed the trip we really wanted knowing we could not do it how she would like. The two night was a nice conciliation, but we into it with very few expectations as we get down there 4-6 times a year. I’d encourage you to focus on your recovery, and see what the next several weeks holds for you before planning your replacement trip as you need the eyes of then, not now. Again sorry. Best wishes.

So sorry for your injury. We feel your loss and conundrum. My DW suffered a bad ankle break just days before our Viking river cruise last early October. Taking that trip was obviously out as she required surgery and was non weight bearing for 3 months. We also had an early December trip to BRV that we had to rent out as that became obviously an impossibility. We did get down for a quick two night stay just before Christmas, but my wife was 100% chair bound and non weight bearing. We made it work but it was hard as we depended on the bus lifts and I pushed the chair, Happily. Simply put, we postponed the trip we really wanted knowing we could not do it how she would like. The two night was a nice conciliation, but we into it with very few expectations as we get down there 4-6 times a year. I’d encourage you to focus on your recovery, and see what the next several weeks holds for you before planning your replacement trip as you need the eyes of then, not now. Again sorry. Best wishes.
Good suggestion to put off even planning the replacement trip. I already have an idea in my mind, but it would probably be best to wait on making that plan until I see how I feel. So sorry to hear about your wife’s ankle. Is she doing better now?

Good suggestion to put off even planning the replacement trip. I already have an idea in my mind, but it would probably be best to wait on making that plan until I see how I feel. So sorry to hear about your wife’s ankle. Is she doing better now?
Thank you, yes. We went ahead with our “regular” 5 night February trip and had a great time, but took a few more breathers and iced when back at the villa for a while. She is now not really unable to do anything she had before, bit her stamina is still not 100% of pre-injury and frankly might never be. That’s ok . We did meet a lovely Talbots associate one day in a store who suffered a similar, perhaps more devastating break with surgery about 10 years ago when she was closer to my wife’s age - 54. She was so kind but said to my wife, really out of encouragement and an “I’ve been there” heart that “It will be a year before you will largely no longer think about it”. We are 7 1/2 mo now and I think she was certainly right. It is not debilitating but is daily in its reminder of the injury.

I would not go. Like you mentioned you probably wont find a scooter to accommodate a leg that needs to be straight so you will not be doing your leg any good. You would be prolonging the healing and possibly doing more harm. You only get one chance to heal. If you hinder the healing process your likelihood of returning to work will be prolonged. Since you can not do anything it would seem a waste of money to go on the trip.

UPDATE: So despite all your very good advice, I decided to go through with the trip anyways! I leave tomorrow!

I’m glad I decided to go because at my 2 week follow-up appointment this morning the situation got a lot less bleak. The doctor shortened my brace, so now it doesn’t go all the way down to my ankle, it’s a far more reasonable size. I was cleared to ride mild rides. We agreed anything I would be willing to take a baby on would be fine, and Soarin. He even encouraged me to do stuff. I was also cleared to drive, and on Thursday I’m cleared to walk without crutches if I’m able too. Also can bend my knee, no straight leg brace as I was told post surgery.

So basically everything that was going to make the trip super super miserable has gone away. I’m so excited now because all I’ve been doing for two weeks is physical therapy exercises and I desperately need a pick me up.

UPDATE: So despite all your very good advice, I decided to go through with the trip anyways! I leave tomorrow!

I’m glad I decided to go because at my 2 week follow-up appointment this morning the situation got a lot less bleak. The doctor shortened my brace, so now it doesn’t go all the way down to my ankle, it’s a far more reasonable size. I was cleared to ride mild rides. We agreed anything I would be willing to take a baby on would be fine, and Soarin. He even encouraged me to do stuff. I was also cleared to drive, and on Thursday I’m cleared to walk without crutches if I’m able too. Also can bend my knee, no straight leg brace as I was told post surgery.

So basically everything that was going to make the trip super super miserable has gone away. I’m so excited now because all I’ve been doing for two weeks is physical therapy exercises and I desperately need a pick me up.
Have fun! So glad everything worked out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter