Would you get to the port early if your cabin is still unassigned?

Please don't take this as snotty as it not intended to be... I know this doesn't fix the room assignment, but can you pack in a way that if push came to shove, you could carry your luggage on if you needed to, in an effort to keep hub's nerves intact and not have to worry about if/when the bags show? I think that could be a solution WORST CASE! I am sure they will get you a lovely room and hope you have an amazing trip.
I know!!! I told him we will be rolling the luggage around but I feel much better now that we are assigned and it’s stayed the same room since noon today. Lol. We will have a great trip!!

I would get to the port early just to make sure I got a Navigator. :rolleyes:
Ooh. Is that a problem now? I really scope out that thing on the first day!! I want to see which movies are playing. And I’m hoping they don’t have the Maleficent one clogging up the theater the whole time. We miss Frozen 2 by a day as it’s released the day after we doc 😡😢😡

Ooh. Is that a problem now? I really scope out that thing on the first day!! I want to see which movies are playing. And I’m hoping they don’t have the Maleficent one clogging up the theater the whole time. We miss Frozen 2 by a day as it’s released the day after we doc 😡😢😡
I read on some thread that someone got there at like 1 and the Navigators were gone. Unacceptable, plain and simple.

I read on some thread that someone got there at like 1 and the Navigators were gone. Unacceptable, plain and simple.
Yes absolutely. This cruise is expensive and providing that one sheet at check in should not be a problem. I would be upset about it.

This really piss*s me off about DCL. I know the rules about "you will get your room on x day up until embarkation" but still, they should't do that. People pay good money to sail with them, 4 sometimes 5 figure$ and it's poor customer service that they would do this.

imo they should get rid of the all gty rates. Let ppl pick their rooms in advance even at a higher price, it's not like ppl are indecisive about sailing with them.. don't go with the "we'll pick your room" bs.

Keep us updated on how things went.

I try not to pick fights on here, but this is a cruise industry standard practice to offer GTY rooms. I often book them when travelling and love it. You have an option to select your room if any are available at the traditional cost but I balk at the idea that they would get rid of the offers entirely. I almost exclusively book GTY rates because they offer the best value. I have always been happy with the rooms offered to us under this program.

This has absolutely nothing to do with "poor customer service". The simple answer is to not book a GTY room if you are uncomfortable not having an assigned room in advance. Poor customer service would be not telling you that you are booking this type of room or explaining it in full before you book. Both the website and Disney Cruise Line cast who book these rooms are very helpful in addressing and explaining all the factors involved.

imo they should get rid of the all gty rates. Let ppl pick their rooms in advance even at a higher price, it's not like ppl are indecisive about sailing with them.. don't go with the "we'll pick your room" bs.

You don’t want that type of booking, don’t book it.

Others like it, so they book it.

It does something positive for DCL, so they offer it.

Just because you think that that sort of booking is BS doesn’t mean that it is. Just means that you shouldn’t plan your cruise with that sort of booking.

Wouldn't be on the upcoming cruise and our first ever without the over $1000 in savings we saw from the VGT GTY rate for the Eastern Caribbean Cruise.

If I get assigned at Port I get assigned at Port I knew it going in. Figure get it earlier but more than happy for the tiny little inconvenience and possibly delayed luggage.

Could have picked various specific rooms for other cruises or through Costco and such but the great rate is what got me in the door.

Last edited:
I wonder if Disney lately saw an increase in last minute bookings for the regular rates where people can select their staterooms themselves. Maybe that explains why Disney waits longer assigning rooms.

I try not to pick fights on here, but this is a cruise industry standard practice to offer GTY rooms. I often book them when travelling and love it. You have an option to select your room if any are available at the traditional cost but I balk at the idea that they would get rid of the offers entirely. I almost exclusively book GTY rates because they offer the best value. I have always been happy with the rooms offered to us under this program.

This has absolutely nothing to do with "poor customer service". The simple answer is to not book a GTY room if you are uncomfortable not having an assigned room in advance. Poor customer service would be not telling you that you are booking this type of room or explaining it in full before you book. Both the website and Disney Cruise Line cast who book these rooms are very helpful in addressing and explaining all the factors involved.

There is a prevailing misconception that GTY rates are a discount. They often aren't when staying within the exact same category and often times the choice is book that category as GTY or don't book it at all. We paid the same for our GTY 11b as cruisers who were able to book specific 11b rooms before the category went GTY. You haven't been able to book specific inside or oceanview rooms on our cruise for months now.

There is a prevailing misconception that GTY rates are a discount. They often aren't when staying within the exact same category and often times the choice is book that category as GTY or don't book it at all. We paid the same for our GTY 11b as cruisers who were able to book specific 11b rooms before the category went GTY. You haven't been able to book specific inside or oceanview rooms on our cruise for months now.

The whole confusion comes in with the *GT rates, which can be at a discount. People - especially newbies, but I've seen experienced cruisers do it - often refer to *GT by saying "GTY".

The whole confusion comes in with the *GT rates, which can be at a discount. People - especially newbies, but I've seen experienced cruisers do it - often refer to *GT by saying "GTY".

Yep. We've booked both types. Our first cruise was a last minute GT rate that was a great discount. Our current booking is GTY because by the time silver opening day came around they had already switched inside rooms to GTY. I think GTY can still seem like a discount because the lower letters within a larger category (9d vs 9b or 9a for example) tend to book first so on the dcl site you may have an option to book a 9d gty or a specific 9b room so it seems like GTY is a discount but it's really just because that specific category is cheaper.

We booked 2 weeks out for Easter week of 2014, with the guaranteed veranda room. The porters have the manifest, when i got to the port they gave me my room number. I didn't have a smart phone then, I had the cruise app on an ipod, and saw it was updated sometime during the night or morning of cruise... Its Disney it didn't really matter, as long as I'm on the ship...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter