Would you change plans to get in on the "free dining" UPDATE on post 16

jacksonsmom

<font color=blue>Can you guess who I am a mom for?
Our oginial plans were to go to WDW from 12/2-12/9, We would be staying at Pop Century with the dining plan.

Now that Disney has come out with their free dining. I decided to punch some numbers and I found out if we move our dates that we could save a little over $600 if we get the free dining.

I punched in 9/30-10/7. My question is if we check in on the 30th would we still get the free dining plan through the 7th?

I am not sure if changing our dates is worth it. The only major con would be not going in December and seeing the Christmas decorations. Although we were just at Disney about 2 yrs ago during December and we saw many of the decorations and the party then.
I was thinking if we change our plans we could go to the Halloween party, something we have never been to.

SO my question is do you think it is worth it? $600 is a lot of money to us, it would pay for 2 airline tickets!

How is Disney in the beginning of October?
Is it crowded? How is the weather?

I just don't know what to do.

Since you've already been for the xmas stuff I'd switch to Oct and do the Halloween stuff and save some $$.

We just changed a bunch of plans to take advantage of the dining incentive. So yes, I'd do it.

Well, my fall travel plans were to go to Las Vegas in November - so, yes, I would and did change 'em, drastically :)
And yes, as long as you check in on or before September 30, you are eligible for free dining for up to ten nights (the maximum package length) depending on, of course, your actual length of stay

If I were you it'd be a no-brainer. I'd change the dates. Yes, you'll get the free dining for the entire stay. I'm booked for 9/30 - 10/4 and have free dining for 5 nights.

A few things to consider though...

Are you very bothered by crowds? There is a good chance this will be a very busy week, not only because of MNSSHP, but also because last year the F&W festival fell during this same week. People are speculating that it will be the same time this year. For some people the MNSSHP and F&W festival might be selling points, but for others the crowds will be a turn-off. (I personally am excited about the possibility of the F&W Festival and I'm not nervous about crowds because I was there during Spring Break this year and didn't find it to be terrible).

formernyer said:
A few things to consider though...

Are you very bothered by crowds? There is a good chance this will be a very busy week, not only because of MNSSHP, but also because last year the F&W festival fell during this same week. ).

Not too much. I have been to WDW the end of June and it seemed to get busier and busier the closer it was getting to July 4th. There were some days where it was almost too crowded for my liking but we survived ;)

As long as it is not as bad as the Christmas Day-New Years Day crowds I will be fine ;)

We are about 80% sure we are going to change our plans. We just need to fine tune a few things before I might the call.
One thing is making sure DH can take off those days. It should not be a problem but we just want to make sure before I make the reservations.

Part of me wants to really see the Christmas decorations this year, but that free dining is almost too good to pass up. We have never been to Disney in September/October, it might be a nice change.

formernyer said:
There is a good chance this will be a very busy week, not only because of MNSSHP, but also because last year the F&W festival fell during this same week. People are speculating that it will be the same time this year.

Just an FYI Epcot's International Food and Wine Festival is Spetember 29-November 12 this year.

I was there last year during the last week of September and first week of Ocotber and the crowds were not that bad. They do increase towards the end of the first week of Oct because of Columbus day. Also Yom Kippur falls on Oct 2nd this year.

Jacksonsmom- I would go for it! MNSSHP is a blast and Disney during the fall is great. It is like keeping summer just a little longer too as it is usually still in the 90s there in Sept when it is starting too cool off here in MN.

I agree with the replies so far, but I'm going to play devils advocate and give you a couple things to consider....

You said you've been at Christmas time 2 years ago. Our first was last Dec and we're probably going back again. Christmas at WDW was absolutely amazing. Yes, I'd like to do MNSSHP, but my gut tells me that early Oct is no comparison to early Dec. And this may sound silly, but as much as we loved our last Dec trip, we were content leaving because we still had Christmas to look forward to. It was the ONLY time we had that feeling leaving WDW.

Whatever you decide will be a great choice!

We had similar plans to go in December as we have never been to Disney at Christmas. The only thing that bothered me was the weather and wondering if it was hot enough to swim. When free dining came out I changed our plans. It saved us $1000 on our trip and $350 on airfare. I wasnt going to take the dining plan in December and would have been eating mainly counter service and offsite. I am really looking forwrd to our trip now. We have never been to F&W OR Halloween at Disney before.

I have changed my plnas in a way, the dates and length of stay is the same, but I have got dreams unlimited to book a holday at Pop Century with the free dining. If it had only been a small difference in price then I would have left it but the difference is this

with Disneyworld.co.uk $1928
with dreams unlimited $1488
as you can see its worth losing my deposit for this saving.

I think we are the only ones who are not changing their plans. We have ressies to go to WDW over Thanksgiving week. The ONLY week we could go during the free dining is the week before Labor Day.

I ran the numbers, would save about $1300, but DH says NO! He said it's not with the money for the August heat or hurricane season.

01Sweetpea said:
I ran the numbers, would save about $1300, but DH says NO! He said it's not with the money for the August heat or hurricane season.

::yes::

We were booked to go in Sept. of this year anyway, so we didn't have to change our plans. We went last year during the second week of Sept. for the free dining plan, though, and it was still well above 90 degrees and a tropical storm was set to hit Florida. Luckily, it veered off and headed back out to sea and we had blue skies, but I was in tears the day before we were supposed to leave, sick with worry. :rolleyes2

We are DVC owners and had a trip planned for OCT 15-22 at our home resort and added dinning then taking son for his bday. But when this came out we decided on adult only trip for the 16-22 of August.

We just got back from WDW on April 3 and saw on mousesavers/DIS boards that free dining is available for booking on April 4. We thought it is such a good deal that we are taking advantage of it and planned a spur of the moment trip in Aug before DD returns for school. We had free dining last Oct and paid for for the dining plan March 06. It is really an awesome value. We saved a lot of money by purchasing the plan! Now we get it for FREE! We are so excited!!!Dana

I would change if my plane tickets were not no refund/no change tickets.
Would almost still change but then my parents couldn't go with us as they are going to Vegas and California most of August. They get back just in time for school to start for the kids.

Oh well, maybe next year.

Well I DID IT!!!!! :thumbsup2 :cheer2:

Last night I made reservations for Sept 30th-Oct 7th. :goodvibes Now we just have to cross our fingers that DH is able to get off of work during that time. It should be no problem as that is a 'low' time at his work anyway.

Luckily we had not brought our plane tickets for December yet so we didn't have to deal with that. Now we have to start looking for Fall air fare.

We are excited. We have only been to Disney World in May, June and December. I think it might be nice to visit in the early Fall.
We are excited for the Halloween party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter