Would you change from POR to YC?

TOBS2010

A dream is a wish your heart makes...
Right now we are booked with free dining at POR. I had thought that the preferred rooms at POR would be refurbed by this summer. We have stayed at POR twice before and enjoyed it. A big win is having the food court there so grab a quick hot breakfast (eggs for adults/mickey waffles for the kids) before heading to the park a few mornings we are there. We otherwise eat bagels/yogurt/cereal in the room the other mornings.

I looked at other free dining availability for us and see that we could move over to the Yacht Club for $1000 more. In your opinions---is it worth it? How far are the standard rooms from boat/bus transportation. Is there any QS options, especially for breakfast available there or nearby outside of the parks? We have gotten comfortable liking POR, but are open to also potentially try something new.

YC is generally a very small resort, and there is no such thing as "far from transport" there.

Boardwalk Bakery is a short walk for breakfast.

I'd do YC, but I do realize $1k is not spare change. I prefer YC.

How long are you staying?
We have stayed preferred at POR and really liked it. We did not love it. We haven't stayed at YC, but have stayed BWI and have visited YC/BC numerous times. If the food court is a priority, you won't find that at YC/BC. They each have a small marketplace-style spot for breakfast. You would check out menus on www.allears.net. In our experience, Boardwalk Bakery is not great for DDP breakfast. You can get a sandwich and drink, but no side. It is small and crowded. We found service inconsistent. I wouldn't try it if you were trying to make rope drop anywhere other than EPCOT.
As far as the rooms go, I think the rooms at YC look much nicer. They all have a balcony. The remodeled showers look fantastic! The pool is really amazing. There are many table-service restaurants at YC/BC/BW for you to use DDP. We loved our BW stay. There is so much to see and do. It is an entirely different experience than POR.
We prefer to stay deluxe for the main building rooms, instead of traveling in the heat or rain to get to the lobby. I know my family of four would switch.

Not sure why people say you can't get breakfast at YC.

You can get Mickey Waffles and a Bounty Platter (and other stuff) at the Beach Club quick service - The Beach Club Marketplace, the sister resort to Yacht Club. All easy walking distance, mostly inside.

You can get various breakfast sandwiches at the Market at Ale & Compass - Yacht Club quick service.

You also have two sit down options for breakfast at your hotel. Ale and Compass and Cape May Cafe (character breakfast buffet)

Plus all the food options across at the Boardwalk, Swan/Dolphin and most importantly if you have hoppers, The World Showcase is practically in your backyard!

If you can swing the $1000, I would change in a heartbeat.

If the $1000 also upgrades the free dining plan, then YES it is worth it. I've stayed at both, and love them both, but BC/YC are special. If the $1000 is just for the hotel upgrade with no change in dining plan, then I would probably save the money and stay at POR. Honestly you can't go wrong.

YC has an adult vibe, an interesting lobby and is very close to the Dolphin. Good quick breakfast at Picabu and Fresh Mediterranean at the Dolphin. Use your AAA card and get a 20% discount. Also good choices and seating at Fuel in the Dolphin. You can get coffee, Mimosas, a variety of pastries at the Belle Vue lounge at the BW and grab a quiet table in a nice environment. We had dinner Thursday night at Ale and Compass at the YC and enjoyed it very much. Good thing about Epcot resort area is there are MANY options within close walking distance. You can pick a different place for breakfast each day and mix it up.

Not sure why people say you can't get breakfast at YC.

I don't think anyone said that. Yes, there are spots to get breakfast. They are not the food court style of POR. They are very small and have more limited choices on the menus. They are great for many families. OP asked specifically to compare food court at POR.

Keep in mind that the YC will get free standard dining plan, not QSDP.

I totally forgot about this! This would absolutely make it worth it for our family! I would definitely switch!

I don't think anyone said that. Yes, there are spots to get breakfast. They are not the food court style of POR. They are very small and have more limited choices on the menus. They are great for many families. OP asked specifically to compare food court at POR.

I totally forgot about this! This would absolutely make it worth it for our family! I would definitely switch!

It's been said numerous times on the board that there are no food options at YC/BC. Just being conversational, no need for a debate. :)

I’ve stayed at both and while I like POR I’d change to Yacht Club in a minute. The refurbed rooms are great and the location can’t be beat.

The key is that none of the deluxe resorts have the same sort of "food court" you'll find at POR or Pop or similar.

Reactions: nyy
NO! I actually did this recently...POR to BC and I really, really hated the lack of a true QS! for $1000, I wouldn't do it.
Have to agree. We very recently did a split stay between POR and BC (so not exactly YC) and have to admit we enjoyed our time at POR more. For $1000 more it would be hard to swallow. YC/BC may be more appealing if you plan to spend a lot of time at the resort however with the large pool area and larger rooms. Otherwise save the money and do POR. And we normally stay and prefer deluxe.

I think the monorail resorts as well as WL and AKL all have a dedicated quick service restaurant, it's only the Epcot resorts that don't? (Aside from a very limited menu at spots mostly dedicated to selling other things.) I honestly do wonder why Disney didn't put one in any of those 3 resorts? Especially now with free dining going on, it's a bummer to have such limited choices at your hotel. I'm booked at CBR with free dining and have priced out upgrading to deluxes and with WL and AKL out because we are a family of 5 and the monorail resorts being so pricey, it leaves the Epcot resorts. It really does bug me there are such limited quick service choices there. Anyway OP, just wanted to say I get your concerns about quick service, lol! With 3 picky kids I need choices!

1000? NO way. POR is great. 1000 is just too much money to throw away.

Throw away? They’d likely be upgraded to the standard free dining plan instead of the QS plan, be within walking distance to two parks, have access to Stormalong Bay which is SO fun and a unique pool experience for the kids, etc. I was 8 the first time I swam in Stormalong Bay and it remains one of my most vivid and fond memories of Disney trips as a child. And truly, fast access to parks with kids is such a convenience.

I personally don’t think it’s throwing $1,000 away at all. Would switch to YC in a minute.

But if having a larger QS for breakfast is the deal breaker, then I wouldn’t switch.

Last edited:
I would also switch. The vibe at the Boardwalk is so awesome and if you've done POR before try something new if you can swing it.

I agree that the CS restaurants are not the big food courts that you find at the moderates. If this is important you might not want to pay to change resorts.

If you are also lookign at an upgrade to full DDP, then the change makes more financial sense, IMO.

I like the Epcot resorts, and find the location and amenities far better than any of the moderates. I would look at the potential of DDP upgrade and factor that in if budget is a real consideration,

You'll be a boat ride away from TWO parks. I would definitely upgrade. Less buses you'll have to deal with. IMO, that's definitely worth it.

PLUS, the best pool on property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter