Would you camp in January with young kids?

verlee

DIS Veteran
Question for you all.... We are traveling to Florida at the end of January to visit the in-laws. We want to tack on a 4 night trip to disney. :woohoo: We currently have reservations at POR.

However, I am considering camping instead ( save money/ more non-park activities/ closer to MK). We have two ds ages 3 and 6. We are flying but the in-laws could bring basic camping supplies down with them.

My questions are... will it be too cold in January for the young ds? Is it possible to camp at FW with just the basic gear? (tent, and 1 tote of gear). How is it camping with young kids? Would you camp or stay at one of the resorts? We have camped a couple of times (once with the boys) I am considering a switch to Pop as well. I know this is a lot of questions. There are so many options!:confused3

I guess another question is if you would camp with the kids what basic gear would you bring?

I would suggest camping somewhere before you plan the disney trip. See how the kids react to the experience. As to the temps at Disney. It can be anything from low 40's to the 70's and 80's . Florida weather can be very fickle at times.

Jim

That's a tough choice. kids at that age love camping and typically do very well in a tent. However, a cold kid who doesn't sleep very well at night can ruin a trip! At the end of January, the weather can be perfect.....or it can be really cold. If you do decide to go for it, make sure you pack thermal jammies and plenty of layers!

If it was me...I'd probably go for it. But I would spend a lot of time preparing for all possible scenarios ahead of time.

I agree with Ami above! I'd go for it too....but I'm adventurous like that, ha. The weather is crazy in January...it can go from warm to cold. Take layers of clothes from short sleeve to heavy pull overs! :thumbsup2

I have tent camped with my grandson (he was 3, 4, and 5 at the times) at FW when it was very cold, but not freezing. He still loved it. Frankly, it was better than the 1 time we went in June when it was very hot. A cheap heater can help. I turned it on to warm up the tent and then turned it off for sleeping. Sleeping bags and a ground cover under them were all that we needed.

Take blankets to the outdoor movie and cuddle up.

The weather is fickle but I think you will be fine camping. A tent, sleeping pads, sleeping bags and a flashlight and you're good to go. In my opinion the simplier the better.

IMO it's just not worth the risk camping in January.

Our first trip to WDW was one January and at one point they had to put Frost Nets out it was that cold. For two days solid I wore a Hat, Scarf and Gloves and that was during the day, I would hate to think how cold it would have been at night in a tent. It was absolutely freezing.

I appreciate that the weather can be extreme at both ends but feel it would really spoil things if it was too cold to even sleep.

If you did wish to camp regardless you could always get a heater:confused3

Just go for it. More than likely the weather will be beautiful. cool at night and just right in the day. May not be too good for swimming but if you are from the north then it might be ok. The pool is heated so the water is not to bad. Your kids ages are good for camping. I just camped with my 1yr old grandson and that is a chore. LOL But I will be taking him with me when we go for christmas. Just not tent camping, too old for that now. LOL Last Christmas it was cold as crap for a few days but then warmed up nicely.

Have fun and enjoy the fort

We do have a small heater we could throw into the tote that the in-laws could bring down. That may work. I would hate to have to make the midnight potty breaks with the kids if it was cold though.

Oh! I hope no matter what we decide that it is not that cold. Last winter was so cold and snowy here. I nearly lost it. I thought winter would never end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter