Would this work on a tent site? Any suggestions?

moesy4

Mouseketeer
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-14-Person-20-x-20-Base-Camp-Tent/46271753

I know, this is a beast, but hear me out... :)

We are planning an adoption trip for our foster son and our family. We had hoped to go in May and had something booked but my husband has a new job and can't get time off that soon. The good thing about May was 2/3 of our children would be under 3 (so free!) and our daughter would be a lap child (so free!). Pushing it back to October is costing us $500 and we are on a tight budget.

Our family is me, DH, our then 6 1/2 year old, then 3 1/2 year old, and our 2 year old. Our middle child (our foster son) NEEDS his own sleep space, no exceptions. Even if it's just a little curtained off alcove with a fan for white noise, he is a horrid sleeper and when he gets off sleep, he is miserable for days or even weeks. Our 6 year old is a champion sleeper and could sleep through anything, our 2 year old could share space but doesn't sleep as well when she does(and neither do I quite frankly). But we have slept with all 4 of us in a room say, at my parents, when needed.

We are looking at condos off site, but I've been in love with the idea of staying on site, particularly the Fort, since we will only be going probably a couple of times. We can't swing the cost of renting a travel trailer.

I was also looking at some smaller but still larger than normal tents, but liked the huge layout of this one. It says it has a 20x20 footprint. Would that fit on a tent site? Would you recommend sticking to a smaller size and adapting other ways? Should I scrap tent camping in favor of the condo?

Any help would be appreciated!

It would fit. I've seen others like it. If he is a horrid sleeper and you expect to go in May, consider an air conditioner to keep it cool and create more soothing noise. One thing you have little control of at the Fort is how late others stay up, and how loud they are, so a fan may not suffice.

Knowing what I've experienced (at the site), with as many young ones as you have, and a horrid sleeper, I'd go for the condo.

If you get the big tent, call the Disney reservation line back and ask them to add a note to your reservation with the size of your tent. Tent sites have the ground pad of various sizes and you want to ensure your first one assigned will fit the footprint so you don't have to go back to the lobby or call and request a different one.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

It would fit. I've seen others like it. If he is a horrid sleeper and you expect to go in May, consider an air conditioner to keep it cool and create more soothing noise. One thing you have little control of at the Fort is how late others stay up, and how loud they are, so a fan may not suffice.

Knowing what I've experienced (at the site), with as many young ones as you have, and a horrid sleeper, I'd go for the condo.

Thanks for the advice! Actually, because of my husband's job, we are now looking at late October...thankfully the night isn't the issue, once he is asleep he is asleep for the night. It's more if he wakes up super early and/or doesn't nap when he needs it. Also, he often wakes up during the night and rocks himself back to sleep, which has been disturbing to others in the past (he can literally rock his crib across the room he is so violent with it) So the morning noise could be an issue, thankfully not so much the night.
Thanks again for the advice, if you were to look back at my posts you would see that we have literally considered every option in the book as dates, finances, and things to consider changed lol. Honestly my first choice at this point would be to do two connecting rooms at a value, but since they can't guarantee it we would be in bad shape if it didn't work out. Planning with a kid with special needs is interesting to say the least!

I haven't experienced morning noise, really at all- just late night celebrating with music playing until nearly midnight (and not quietly). Security was called (I really don't like to do that, but it gets to a point where it's almost ridiculous), and they drove by....didn't even stop.

we are now looking at late October..
My DS18 is also adopted, at 23 months, and had similar auditory issues, but he was in a foreign orphanage and learned how to self sooth to get back to sleep. Made for some interesting parent learning when we got home.

The tent looks great. If white noise works to drowned out the other noises, the tent should be ok. The Fort has great noises (busses, boat whistles, wildlife). I think they would be too distracting for my DS when he was that age, but you know your son and "what it takes". Get reservations now (see below) and start planning a great trip.

What year October are you considering? If it is 2016, you better get reservations fast. I just checked availability. There are only tent sites available 10/22- 10/28. Nothing available 10/29 on. Some very persistent and dedicated people have been able to grab up cancellation dates, but it sounds like that is taking multiple calls a day and some luck.

j

Have you tried camping with all 3 kids before?
I camped with my 9,3,3 year old last October (not at Disney). My 2 boys are good sleepers, my girl is not. NO ONE slept well.

Thanks...we ended up inviting my mom to go with and we wouldn't subject her to tent camping...plus you are correct that all the sites are booked. We were able to find a few more dollars for the trip so if by some miracle a full hook up site opens up we will rent, otherwise it's off site for us! Either way will be great :)

I like tent camping, but I don't think the DW would go for it, even in a tent as large as that. She likes having a toilet close by. No way she would want to have to make "Midnight Run". I, however, have done that more times then I care to count as a kid.

I do hope things work out for you though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter