Would this be crazy? (Last minute trip - December 2018 - PTR)

Malyficent

Mouseketeer
Hi. I'm Alison and I've been planning our first trip as a family with children. The last trip I planned was in the mostly pre-internet, pre-Google sheets days of Winter 2001. I remember taking a huge WDW travel book with colored post it flags for each priority ride. As we knew this trip would eventually happen, I've been gathering intel (reading these boards and listening to a ton of Disney podcasts) for years.

The original plan was to do a big trip in early December 2019. But the 2018 Ultimate Disney Christmas package caught my eye, I crunched some numbers and realized we could move our trip up a year and save some money.

After the initial number crunching I sent this email to my husband:
To: P
Subject: Would this be crazy?

In the meantime, I quickly called Disney and made a reservation just in case he agreed. And, a few cost analysis and discussions later, we're booked - and extended - and taking multiple flights - and surprising our kids. It's kind of crazy.

Who’s Going?
Me: 45 - first trip with the kids
H: 41 - one previous trip in 2001
DS1 - turns 8 the day before we leave (eek!)
DS2 - turns 6 four days before we leave (double eek!!)

Oh and my best friend is a huge Disney fan (multiple DVC owner and AP holder). I mentioned our tentative plans to her and she and her high school aged boys are coming for part of our trip. She used our 2017 Princess Half Marathon weekend as a reconnaissance mission trip - helping me scout the parks and giving me advice about what her boys liked at this age.

We arrive December 15 and depart December 22, staying at ASMo the first two nights and then hopping to POR for the next five.

We decided this week that we are going 16th-20th.. so I’m
Crazy right along with you lol.

I was a little stressed in the beginning of the week because I could not get one single ADR I wanted. Which makes sense since most book 180 days out and I’m trying less then 40 days out. but I been checking numerious times a day, and finally scared a chef mickey’s, and Be our guest. A O’hana reso would be the icing on my cake, but doubt it will happen.

We decided this week that we are going 16th-20th.. so I’m
Crazy right along with you lol.

I was a little stressed in the beginning of the week because I could not get one single ADR I wanted. Which makes sense since most book 180 days out and I’m trying less then 40 days out. but I been checking numerious times a day, and finally scared a chef mickey’s, and Be our guest. A O’hana reso would be the icing on my cake, but doubt it will happen.

WooHoo! First thing I started booking was ADRs - even before FP's. I've had lots of luck with the December ADR Cancellation thread and both TL's res finder and M O U S E Dining res finders. I'm down to tweaking reservations by 30 mins. Hope you've had similar good luck in the past couple weeks.

Resort: The general plan is that we’re doing the Ultimate Christmas package and staying at Port Orleans Riverside. I also tacked on a couple days ahead of time at All Star Movies. For our flights, the additional hotel costs offset the cheaper airfares. We also may be able to do the 12/16 Early Morning Magic at Fantasyland if upgrading our Park Hoppers isn’t outrageous.

Our original plan for December 2019 was also a split-stay - starting at Wilderness Lodge and then moving to either Beach Club or Boardwalk. I was lucky enough to stay with my friend (the one who is joining the second part of our trip) at Beach Club Villas in February 2017 (DVC) and it spoiled me (the walk to Epcot, the boardwalk along Crescent Lake at night, sigh).

Tossing those plans aside to stay at ASMo and POR was actually easier than I thought it would be. My boys and H will love POR (H is a huge New Orleans fan). My boys also love the Mighty Ducks movie - and I think (and I’m probably wrong) that ASMo is the only MD representation at WDW. My younger son recently became obsessed with Sorcerer Mickey so ASMo’s pool should be a huge hit with him.

We made our final payment Friday (gulp - haven't spent this much on a vacation since our honeymoon). My Christmas decorating is 75% done - should have it to 95% by this weekend (we're leaving the tree until we return - if we can find a tree two days before Christmas) and Christmas shopping is almost done too. For someone who is Ms. Last Minute, this is unprecedented. I've even started gathering clothes to pack.

This sounds like the beginnings of possible pre trip and trip reports. I hope to hear more! Of course it’s not “crazy”. Enjoy your trip!

Daily Plan and Tickets - I revised this section.

Magic bands and luggage tags arrived. Now I need to customize the MBs. We're having the boys do a small scavenger hunt the morning we depart to tell them about the trip and I finished those clues this weekend. I also created an itinerary so that they'll have some idea of what to expect. My biggest concern is that we're flying separately to Orlando. My older son and I were able to fly using miles however it was much cheaper for my husband and younger son to take a different (direct) flight. My boys are decent fliers I'm just concerned about how the younger one will take the combo of "Surprise, you're going to Disney today but first Mommy is getting on a different airplane." He'll probably be fine with it and my concern is for nothing but there's about a 5% chance of tears.

We booked the Ultimate Christmas package which includes four day Park Hopper tickets. I am hoping to upgrade these to five or six day PH and maybe add on Early Morning Magic - Fantasyland package. Unfortunately, I can’t do this until we arrive on Dec 15th (I’ve called multiple times and asked my travel agent as well). I was also told at booking that I can start these tickets a day or two early but I've also heard I can't do that soooo...we shall see. Items in bold below are included in the Ultimate Christmas package.

Day 1: Saturday, Dec 15th
Plan: Travel / Resort Day / evening activities at Fort Wilderness
Resort: All Star Movies
Parks: N/A - No park tix
Snacks: Geyser Point / S’mores at Chip 'N' Dale Campfire Sing Along
Meals: Chuck Wagon (D)
Events: 6pm Wagon Ride; HEA and EWP

Day 2: Sunday, Dec 16th
Plan: Either Magic Kingdom/Hollywood Studios or Resort Christmas Decoration Tour
Resort: All Star Movies
Parks: Magic Kingdom - focus on Fantasyland, Adventureland & Frontierland; Hollywood Studios
Option 1: RD Fantasyland
Option 2: Morning Early Magic - Fantasyland
Option 3: Resort Day / Christmas Decorations at Resorts
FP: Will book once park tix are sorted out
Meals: BOG (B-PPO); Beaches & Cream (L); Hollywood & Vine (D-Fantasmic)

Day 3 Monday, Dec 17th
Plan: Resort Switch/ MK / E-EMH Toy Story Land
Resort: Port Orleans Riverside
Parks: MK - Fantasyland (if not done on Day 2), Tomorrowland, and Liberty Square; Hollywood Studios
FP: Enchanted Tales; Barnstormer; Peter Pan
Meals: BOG (B-PPO) / Dockside Diner (D)
Events: Toy Story Land

Day 4 Tuesday, December 18th
Plan: Resort Day / MVMCP
Resort: POR
Parks: MK - MVMCP
FP: N/A
Meals: 1900 Park Fare (B), The Wave (L) Can’t decide which of these would be better for MVMCP night.
Events: MVMCP

Day 5 Wednesday, Dec 19th (Reinforcements Arrive - My BFF and her sons arrive sometime this day.)
Plan: Resort Morning / Animal Kingdom
Parks: Animal Kingdom
FP: Finding Nemo, Lion King, Safari
Meals: Tusker House (L), Flame Tree (D), Nomad Lounge
Events: Pandora, Everest, Dinosaur, ROL

Day 6 Thursday, December 20th
Plan: Resort Morning / Disney Springs
Parks: N/A
FP: N/A
Meals: 1900 Park Fare (B) (only if not done Day 4); Raglan Road (D)
Events: Early morning access to Disney Springs (will probably skip); Rhythms of Raglan show; Christmas Tree Trail, Silhouette portraits; Yee Haw Bob

Day 7 Friday, December 21st
Plan: Epcot - RD Test Track
Parks: Epcot
FP: Mission: SPACE; Spaceship Earth; Frozen
Meals: Biergarten (L); Buffet (D) - may skip buffet to have more time in the countries
Events: Candlelight Processional / Illuminations; Buffet dinner event

Day 8 Saturday, December 22nd
Plan: Hollywood Studios /Travel Day
Parks: Hollywood Studios (may also hop over to MK to do Tom Sawyer Island and the Riverboat if they reopen that day)
FP: RNR Coaster; Toy Story Mania; Star Tours
Meals: 50’s Prime Time (L)
Events: N/A
Magic Express: TBD

Attachments

• Itinerary 2-2.jpg
    Itinerary 2-2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 678
Last edited:

Doesn't sound crazy at all, OP. It sounds like a lot of fun:) I am a planner and find this fascinating to read. I plan at least 6 months or more out for our WDW trips, so am excited to hear all about it. Please do a full trip report if you can.
We are going to be at POFQ from 12/10 to 12/19. We love POR but things worked out for FQ this time.
I don't over plan every minute, but get our favorite fast passes booked and only 3 favorite ts restaurants. The rest is QS on the fly.
If you can do rope drop at the parks that will help you with the rides.
Have fun:) and might see you there?

Have a great time at POFQ @disneyseniors! If you recognize us at the resort, please say hi. I want to stay at FQ soon - maybe if I can twist H's arm into booking an anniversary trip. And no, this isn't too crazy but for my husband and I this is wildly crazy. Well, there was that one time in Brazil but that was due to the caipirinhas.

And thanks for the advice. I have Fast Passes secured for our four dates for which we have park tickets and I'm pretty flexible. Since none of the rest of them have a clue about everything available at WDW, I'm going with the attitude that I'm the only one that will know if we're "missing" something. And really, as long as the boys are happy, we'll all be happy. I have mostly TS lunches booked each day (trying to knock out some character meet and greets) and I'm planning a mid-day park break nearly every day so the kids get some down time. Plan is to RD MK twice and then once each at Epcot and HS. So much of what we need a FP for at AK is covered by the package so we're getting a later start there due to MVMCP the night before.

18 days, 19 hours! Now off to touch up trim paint and complete the Christmas decorating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter