Would staying in a cabin prohibit mid afternoon breaks?

Sunbeamblue2002

Mouseketeer
I think that I have desided to finaly book a cabin because I think that it'll be the best for my faimly d/t my husband want to relax in down time and I think that maybe (based on what I've read on the baords) that that may be more difficult at the values. Also the full kithcin has swayed my choice. I have convinced my self that since we'll go to BB and they have a beach and a pool that my DD11 won't complain to much with no pool slide. However the one thing that still somewhat worries me is the transportation. We will most like drive down but if we split up or something happens and I need to take one or both of the younger ones back it might be near to impossiable sometimes. I have heard such horrior stories of the bussing system in FW that I wonder if besides Mk we won't be able to take a rest daily like recommened. So please reasure me because its taken alot to convince my DH that on site is better than off site and we really want to have a nice time. Iknow that no place is perfect. But just reassure me.

I think FW will be great for afternoon breaks, and we're looking forward to them! If you're at MK, a boat will take you back to FW, and from there a bus will drop you off at your "loop". If you split up at other parks, and need to return to your cabin, the bus system will get you there. Probably not as fast as your car, but it will get you where you need to go. I've taken a few afternoon cat naps in those air conditioned buses while on the way back to the resort. Most importantly...remember you're on vacation, relax, slow down, smell the roses! (I know this line very well - DW tells me this every vacation!)

the cabins are GREAT for rest because you can have more privacy if you have kids than a traditional hotel room. You have the back bedroom and pull out bed up front for napping.
Honestly, I think transportation is as good as moderate and value resorts. To me the only bus route thats totally bad is the route to Down Town Disney.
If you drive its fast to go anywhere. We've stayed there probably at least 1000times and its not that bad to get around. I've spent much more time waiting at the hotels than FT W.

If you can afford a golf cart thats the best way to go and for most people the golf cart becomes an activity too!

You know, I read all about the 'nightmares' of bus transportation at Ft Wilderness, and I have to say, we NEVER experienced any problems. And we were there at a slow time of year, which conceivably meant that the buses were not running as frequently. I think you'll be just fine.

We LOVE the cabins, and will hopefully be back in them in Feb of 2006.....

I'll affirm what debster812 said. The bus transportation in Ft. Wilderness is no worse than at any other Disney resort. In fact, most of the routes are shared with the Wilderness Lodge, which is a premium resort. In addition to staying at Ft. Wilderness, I have stayed at almost all of the Disney Resorts. I have had as long, if not longer waits at places like Coronado Springs, the Carribbean Beach resort, and all of the All Stars. Ft. Wilderness is a big place, and it does take a little longer to get you to your loop, but I have never had a nightmare experience. I always use Disney Transportation. Who wants to drive on vacation? You will be dropped off at the gate of whatever theme park you are visiting, as opposed to having to park and then take a tram or hoofing it to the gate. Have a great time.

We just returned from Ft Wilderness. Never used our car one time. I have no idea what "nightmare" is being told. I do think it's cool that Ft Wilderness is the best kept secret because so many seem to bad-mouth it.

At the Value resorts, families walk a quarter mile just to catch the bus...then do it again when they return.

At Ft. Wilderness, the bus picks you up very close to your cabin. From there (2-10 minute trip) you can get on a bus to any of the theme parks or ride the boat to Magic Kingdom.

Boats run every 20 minutes to the MK or Contemporary, buses come by the cabins every 10-15 minutes. We rode a bus to MGM, which was very easy. We rode the boat to & MK at least 8 times, including for EMH morning.

All of the bus drivers will help to get you where you want to go. The system is very easy to understand once you are there.

As for naps, you cannot beat having a separate, dark bedroom. They rest, you plan, recoup, cook, etc.

You should allow at least 40 minutes via boat and 30 minutes via bus to the theme parks. But that is true anywhere, especially when you include the walk to the central bus depot.

We usually stay in the 1500 loop which is about 1/2 way between the Outpost and Pioneer Hall, across from Meadowland Recreation. We always would take internal transportation (campground buses) and it wasn't a problem.

In the last couple of years we have started walking more, so decided to walk to the marina and/or Outpost from our loop ... it really wasn't that bad!! Unless we were pooped out or knew that it had been a while since the bus had been there, we would just start walking and would usually get there before the internal bus. I believe the walk wasn't anymore than 10-15 minutes either way.

----
To compare the Ft W buses to other resorts -- I had my DH drop me off at the CBR on his way to golf last year so I could check it out. It seemed like it took forever for a bus to come along that would take me to MK for the ferry ride back to Ft W!!!

I would have to agree with others that the Ft W buses/transportation isn't much different than that of other resorts.

Just an aside:

My oldest girls (8 & 5) have now developed an unquenchable desire to ride all of the roller coasters. So one afternoon, when toddler was feeling bad, we split-up. DH took girls on ride and I took DD3 back to cabin. She fell asleep in the umbrella stroller waiting for the boat from MK-FW. We strolled onto boat and then to bus stop. The bus driver loaded my stuff, folded the stroller, and guided me to a seat while I carried the sleeping babe.

DD3 woke-up when I was fumbling for the key, but went right back to sleep in the dark bedroom. Later, DH and girls made it back to the cabin, from Splash Mountain, in 40 minutes.

Have a great trip!!!

What I like too is IF you want a cocktail, beer whatever you don't have to worry about having a designated driver.
One thing too, is SO many people who are now driving don't really know where they're going or switch lanes at the last minute.

Well I have a different opinion of the buses at FW. Now I must state first that I have never stayed at another resort to compare the two locations. I consider the time it takes to ride a bus to one of the parks totally unrealistic. On several occasions on our trip last May, it took almost 2 hours to get from FW to Epcot. Why would I give up almost 4 hours of my day to wait and ride buses when I could drive and get there in 15 minutes. Plus you don't have to pay to park because you are staying onsite. If you had a golf cart and could take that to the outpost to catch the bus that might help eliminate some of the time. In May we waited 25 minutes to get an internal bus and two came at the same time. Then we had to wait almost an hour at the bus stop for the bus to Epcot - granted this is probably not the norm but hey it's still my time wasted. Plus don't forget that the buses don't always go directly to the parks, they stop at Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon first.

Plus when you are tired after a day at the park, it is so nice to ride the tram to your car, get in and just drive home. At park closing, the lines for the bus can get very long and sometimes you have to wait for a second bus or it's standing room only. That's alot of fun standing all the way back on the bus especially when you have young kids with you.

So I guess what I'm saying is that in my opinion, the buses are just an added frustration to me not a convenience. I would never want to depend on them if time were a factor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter