Would someone summarize the resale restrictions?

mialeighs

Earning My Ears
We purchased our Wilderness Lodge shares from a previous owner in 2006. We've enjoyed our membership, but I must admit, I'm starting to get a little tired of WDW (blasphemy!), and I've never figured out how to maximize using RCI. I'm not great at organizing vacations more than about six months out, which is another reason I'm finding our DVC membership more frustrating and harder to use. If we were to want to sell our shares, what are our options right now? I started reading some of the posts about this, and I find it super confusing but also interesting. Is anyone willing to give me a crash course or direct me to a post where this has already been summarized?

Oh, we've rented our points out once before, years ago. Is that still an option? Are there new restrictions now that make that harder to do?

So the only "restriction" you have is the new purchaser of your contract can't stay at Riviera, Reflections, or any new DVC resort. You are grandfathered in with all Member Benefits, qualified points for any usage (Cruises, etc even though they are bad values), and stuff like that.

Though your contract won't be any different than those on the resale market so you won't have anything to worry about in terms of being a different worth than those already listed.

You can keep renting if you wish to do. You have some value over others renting (that bought post 1/19/19) in that you can reserve and rent new resorts at 7 months, if available.

If you bought direct or resale before 1/19/19, you can stay in any of the DVC resorts. The L14 or RIV or Reflections.... (L=legacy)

If you bought direct in any resort after 1/19/19, you can still stay in any resort.

If you bought one of the L14 resale (not RIV or future) after 1/19/19, you can stay (rent) in any of the L14. NOT RIV or any future resort.

If you bought RIV resale, you can ONLY stay at RIV. NOT any of the L14 or ANY future resort. So when Reflections opens you can't stay they either. And Reflections resale buyers can only stay at Reflections.

If you bought direct or resale before 1/19/19, you can stay in any of the DVC resorts. The L14 or RIV or Reflections.... (L=legacy)

If you bought direct in any resort after 1/19/19, you can still stay in any resort.

If you bought one of the L14 resale (not RIV or future) after 1/19/19, you can stay (rent) in any of the L14. NOT RIV or any future resort.

If you bought RIV resale, you can ONLY stay at RIV. NOT any of the L14 or ANY future resort. So when Reflections opens you can't stay they either. And Reflections resale buyers can only stay at Reflections.

We assume Reflections resale will only be Reflections. Depending on how they view the restrictions by then, they could change things up!

We purchased our Wilderness Lodge shares from a previous owner in 2006. We've enjoyed our membership, but I must admit, I'm starting to get a little tired of WDW (blasphemy!), and I've never figured out how to maximize using RCI. I'm not great at organizing vacations more than about six months out, which is another reason I'm finding our DVC membership more frustrating and harder to use. If we were to want to sell our shares, what are our options right now? I started reading some of the posts about this, and I find it super confusing but also interesting. Is anyone willing to give me a crash course or direct me to a post where this has already been summarized?
So the only "restriction" you have is the new purchaser of your contract can't stay at Riviera, Reflections, or any new DVC resort. You are grandfathered in with all Member Benefits, qualified points for any usage (Cruises, etc even though they are bad values), and stuff like that.
Just to clarify, anyone who bought your contract from you couldn't use those points to stay at Riviera. They would also not be able to use points for cruises, etc., just for DVC resorts and for RCI, and they would not be eligible for Member Magic such as DVC Gold APs, Moonlight Magic events, etc.

Also the new buyer won't get a "blue" card which would entitle them getting discounts such as on annual passes. You would have to buy direct to get the blue card.

Though your contract won't be any different than those on the resale market so you won't have anything to worry about in terms of being a different worth than those already listed.

You can keep renting if you wish to do. You have some value over others renting (that bought post 1/19/19) in that you can reserve and rent new resorts at 7 months, if available.

Thank you! That certainly makes me feel better.

I've been reading about these restrictions, and compared to the lack of OUR restrictions, it's crazy!

Just to clarify, anyone who bought your contract from you couldn't use those points to stay at Riviera. They would also not be able to use points for cruises, etc., just for DVC resorts and for RCI, and they would not be eligible for Member Magic such as DVC Gold APs, Moonlight Magic events, etc.

Ok, gotcha. No wonder I'm so confused. It's super confusing! And I'll say it again: sooooo many restrictions! (What does L14 stand for, anyway?)

Also the new buyer won't get a "blue" card which would entitle them getting discounts such as on annual passes. You would have to buy direct to get the blue card.

Wow! That part really sucks. So they're really not "real" DVC members. They only get to stay in the L14 resorts and RCI, huh. I suppose all of these restrictions really affect how much you can resell the points for.

Ok, gotcha. No wonder I'm so confused. It's super confusing! And I'll say it again: sooooo many restrictions! (What does L14 stand for, anyway?)
L14 refers to the "Legacy 14" DVC resorts built before Riviera. Anyone who bought your contract could stay at any of them but could not stay at Riviera.
Wow! That part really sucks. So they're really not "real" DVC members. They only get to stay in the L14 resorts and RCI, huh. I suppose all of these restrictions really affect how much you can resell the points for.
So far the restrictions don't seem to have reduced resale prices, so for you this might be a good time to sell. No one knows when the prices for your resort (formerly VWL, now BRV) will begin to be affected by the 2042 closing date. Riviera is too new to judge what the restrictions will mean for Riviera owners who sell in the future.

As the above posted said so far I'm not seeing a reduction in the cost per point for resale resorts. It appears to me that the cost per point is going up even on resorts with end dates of 2042.

Here is what I believe summarizes the restrictions:

Effective for any resale occurring on or after:

March 21, 2011: cannot use points from the resale to reserve the Disney Collections (Disney hotels), Concierge Collections (certain non-Disney hotels a list of which can be found on the DVC member site https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/destinations/list/concierge/), Adventures by Disney, or a Disney cruise.

April 4, 2016: cannot use points from the resale to qualify for any incidental benefits a/k/a membership extras. Exactly what is excluded under the rule has often been the subject of discussion. Things you can still definitely use are RCI, pool hopping, the TOWTL lounge, free parking at the resorts and, if staying on site, free parking at the parks, and the DVC dining plan. Things you cannot get are member dining, recreational, and merchandise discounts; discounted APs (or any other DVC ticket discounts that may be offered at any time); Moonlight Magic or other member exclusive events. Some have mentioned being able to get access to the DVC Epcot lounge, the golf discounts, and able to purchase Tables in Wonderland despite having only resale points purchased after April 4, 2016, but some have reported otherwise so issues remain unclear. If you own no points purchased before April 4, 2016, you can still get access to membership extras if you purchased any points from DVD after April 4, 2016 but before February 25, 2018.

February 25, 2018: you need at least 75 points purchased from DVD to get membership extras unless already entitled to them as result of previous purchases.

January 19, 2019: cannot use points from the resale of any DVC resort that existed before Riviera to reserve Riviera (or likely any other future DVC resort), but the points can be used for those DVC resorts that existed before Riviera. Any resale of Riviera points results in the purchaser being able to reserve only Riviera (resorts coming after Riviera will likely have the same type of resale restriction applicable to the specific resort).

September 17, 2019: You need at least 100 points purchased from DVD to use membership extras unless already entitled to them as a result of prior purchases.

Last edited:
Some have mentioned being able to get access to the DVC Epcot lounge
This is a hard no now unless the CM is being very generous. They have an iPad that when I was there they were typing the memberID into (they guy said it would flag if ineligible and I saw them straight turning white card holders away). I suspect DVC is strict now considering right on their page they are being very clear the lounge is for Direct Members (or eligible resale holders).

Actually, the resale market is still doing ok as of now. If anything, it will have more of an effect on people trying to sell their Rivera contract because those resales will only be able to stay at Rivera. I'm a strictly resale member after these new requirements and it was still worth it to me. I won't use the extras much and the cost was much less than buying direct, especially since I'm not interested in Rivera and the resorts I do like are priced very high. I think Boulder Ridge owners are getting somewhere around $100 a point resale right now if I remember correctly.

As the above posted said so far I'm not seeing a reduction in the cost per point for resale resorts. It appears to me that the cost per point is going up even on resorts with end dates of 2042.
Many predicted that the L14 resale contracts would go up in price when they put the restrictions in. They have gone up for several reasons, DVC increases the direct price for them. They also were buying a lot back at the end of last year, which ups the price. If you want to buy resale and stay at the L14 resorts compared to just RIV, people are willing to pay a little more with an earlier end date.

I recently purchased a resale add on at VGC. The restrictions are outlined in the contract so the buyer is aware. i haven’t been watching all the resort resales but VGC is higher than ever. After almost 10 years of regretting not buying when it opened, I finally took the plunge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter