Would newbies be squished?

MudQueen22

DIS Veteran
We are newbs. Newbs, as in, we won't even be purchasing the TT until the end of this month or early next month.
We will likely buy a TT that is just under 30' in length.
Based on the map and lots of reading here, we think we want a preferred loop, and would request 100 loop.
Would these be difficult to back into or too tight of a squeeze for our trailer and truck?

We will have had the tt about a year and 4-5 mos when we travel to Disney.

This is an interesting question for sure. I'm surmising from your post that you're looking at a bumper pull. I'd recommend practicing a bit backing once you get the unit as it's not hard, just don't get in a hurry. A spotter is always a good idea. We're here for a while so I'll have a drive down there on Saturday and have a look.

The other question that comes to mind is what is your tow vehicle. It helps to know the length.

We haven't been in the 100 loop with an RV for lots of years (we pull a 40' fifth-wheel).

Most anyone would be willing to move their tow vehicle, golf cart, etc. to make it easier to back in.

Do a little practice, preferably with your spotter, just like you would backing into a spot. We all had to do the same thing at one point when we purchased our campers. A little advice, don't make your spotter (more than likely your spouse) mad, they are just trying to help. We've seen people at campgrounds where the spouse just finally went and sat down on the picnic table when the backer got mad because they didn't do what the driver thought they should, BE PATIENT, they are learning, just like you. Being unhappy with each other is NOT a good way to start a weekend.

We stayed in the 100 loop, loved it!, next to a couple in their 80’s. They drove down from Michigan in a little convertible, picked up their 40ft motorhome from storage, hitched the convertible to the back of the motorhome, drove to The Fort, unhitched the car and backed in. And by they I mean SHE did all of that herself as the Mr had just had eye surgery. I didn’t witness it but I believed her. Pretty impressive. Anyways, I think you could probably do it. I don’t think I could though.

Just took a ride through the 100 loop. There are several 30" or larger rigs in there now. Snowmedic is right, don't be afraid to ask for help. It's also true that we all have been there once (sometimes, once every season).

i would just add be patient, don't worry about people trying to get in, and GOAL (get out and look). i know there are quite a few who can just pull up and back in but if your Newbie, i suggest getting out and looking. Plus for us, we like to look before we back in so we can see where we want to be. Each site is different and we have adjusted because of that, ie will your awning go out with the tree there, will your slides clear, can you reach the power pedestal, etc.

If you see people pulling up chairs to watch the show, think nothing of it, we all need a little entertainment while at the Fort. popcorn:::drinking1

Also, don’t be afraid to ask for help, campers will usually go out of there way to help.

I think sometimes they watch to see if you're gonna need help. They don't know if your new or not, if you need help or not, or are willing to ask for help or not. Most won't butt in unless you ask, if they're standing around watching, at least you know they're not busy and could be asked.

My next trip to FW will likely be solo and I will be pitching a large tent myself. I have done it before, but hey, if there's a couple teens with nothing better to do, I may ask for a pole to be held in place while I place other poles. :-)

When I go camping without my husband, I can't back up our pop up. I ask some neighbors (with trailers) if they would help me, and they always end up doing it for me. Campers are the best!!!

Since I know this is going to be an issue, when I'm alone, I always bake pepperoni rolls and package some as a thank you gifts for those who jump right in to help. Since I've had more than one camper come to help, I always have several packs of them ready. I'm sure cookies or any other offering would be appreciated as well.

There really is a spirit of helpfulness amongst campers. When I was at FW, a family came to me saying they bought the same tent as me, had never put it up before, and rather than read the instructions came over to mine to see what I had done. I was able then to tell them the problem isn't putting it up, but rather down, it will only fit back in the bag one way and I have written my own instructions on how to do it. I gave them a copy.:grouphug:

Sounds like you will have plenty of time to practice as much as you can prior to arrival. Establish a set of directions (hand signals, etc.), that you and your spotter agree on. The preferred sites are generally a bit tighter, but if that's what you have your heart set on, go for it. Frequently it might be a car or golf cart in the way that makes backing in a challenge. As another poster pointed out, just ask and your fellow campers will gladly move a vehicle (IF they are on site), trees are another matter entirely, lol! Don't be afraid to ask at check-in for a site that is easy to back into. Remember it will matter if the site is on the inside or outside of the loop whether you are backing in "blind" or not.
Have fun!

I use to be truck driver, so I would have to say inside is better for backing up, because even with a spotter you can still see what the back of your camper is doing. Backing in on the outside you will be struggling to see the back of your trailer in the mirror.

But, for the Fort I would have to say int outside would be better, I don’t have a trailer it is just my opinion, others might say differently.

Get a back up camera to go on your camper. They have some that are not to expensive. We have a 40 ft and long bed truck we usually are in 200 some sites are easier than others just take your time. Give your self plenty of time to check in and get setup before fast pass are dining reservations so you want be stressed. My husband can back up anything but sometimes there is a car and no one around to move it takes little longer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!