Would love your opinion...trip in 2 days and kiddo just got the flu

I hope your girl is in recovery and doing better and that you guys can reschedule for the Fall :)

How could a mother make their sick child with the flu sit in a car with a mask on and down to drive down to WDW? Is going on amusement rides really more important than your child's health/well-being? The OP seemed more worried about her adr's and fp's then wondering what would be better for her sick daughter. Very sad!!!

How could a mother make their sick child with the flu sit in a car with a mask on and down to drive down to WDW? Is going on amusement rides really more important than your child's health/well-being? The OP seemed more worried about her adr's and fp's then wondering what would be better for her sick daughter. Very sad!!!

Did she post on here that she decided to go? Because if so, I didn't see it. Maybe she stayed home afterall? Maybe she isn't updating this thread because their entire family fell ill, they cancelled their trip and getting on DISboards to give us an update just isn't a priority.. you just never know.. motherhood is the hardest thing I've ever done, it's probably the hardest thing any of us moms have done! And there is always scrutiny and judgement around every corner for every single decision a mom makes. I don't think it's fair or right to call into question this moms ability to take care of her daughter when you don't even know for sure if they went or not.

Last edited:
Did she post on here that she decided to go? Because if so, I didn't see it. Maybe she stayed home afterall? Maybe she isn't updating this thread because their entire family fell ill, they cancelled their trip and getting on DISboards to give us an update just isn't a priority.. you just never know.. motherhood is the hardest thing I've ever done, it's probably the hardest thing any of us moms have done! And there is always scrutiny and judgement around every corner for every single decision a mom makes. I don't think it's fair or right to call into question this moms ability to take care of her daughter when you don't even know for sure if they went or not.

Actually the OP is the dad, not the mom.

Actually the OP is the dad, not the mom.

I don't see anywhere where the OP mentions their gender, the name Chris could be a woman or a man. Either way, whether it's a mom or a dad... it's a pointless argument to make. The issue is people judging this parent harshly without even knowing if they went or not.

Last edited:
whatever.. mom, dad. Doesn't matter. The point is that no one knows for sure if they went or not.
They most likely went. She was actually contemplating making her daughter wear a mask for the long drive. Any normal parent would immediately cancel the plans and postpone until later. No shame in that.

They most likely went. She was actually contemplating making her daughter wear a mask for the long drive. Any normal parent would immediately cancel the plans and postpone until later. No shame in that.

But you don't KNOW that. It's an assumption and a judgment based on absolutely nothing other than a hunch. Just saying.. I don't think it's fair to call into question someone's parenting and love for their kid when the facts aren't know.

I don't see anywhere where the OP mentions their gender, the name Chris could be a woman or a man. Either way, whether it's a mom or a dad... it's a pointless argument to make. The issue is people judging this parent harshly without even knowing if they went or not.
go back and read point A in the first post as that is where everyone is getting the mask part from. sorry this is wrong post I was meaning one about mask

But you don't KNOW that. It's an assumption and a judgment based on absolutely nothing other than a hunch. Just saying.. I don't think it's fair to call into question someone's parenting and love for their kid when the facts aren't know.
Would you consider dragging your child to Disney if they are sick with the Flu?

go back and read point A in the first post as that is where everyone is getting the mask part from. sorry this is wrong post I was meaning one about mask

No, I totally saw that and I can see that she was considering how to remedy the situation so that everyone wouldn't be disappointed. But the point is that no one knows for sure if she went or not. Everything else is heresy and speculation and judgement of this persons character which IMO isn't right.

Last edited:
Would you consider dragging your child to Disney if they are sick with the Flu?

I think A LOT of parents would "consider" it after spending so much time and money and effort planning it. But that doesn't mean she followed through and actually went. Unless she reached out to you and told you that she was there? Did she?

I already know you have it set in your mind that this is the worst parent in the world and I Know there is no changing that but at least this parent had one person standing up for them. When I picture this mom I picture what my family looked like 4 years ago when all of us got the flu, getting onto the internet was just not a priority. I think it's more likely that they stayed home but maybe that's because I prefer to see the good in people and not jump to conclusions and judge.

I think A LOT of parents would "consider" it after spending so much time and money and effort planning it. But that doesn't mean she followed through and actually went. Unless she reached out to you and told you that she was there? Did she?

I already know you have it set in your mind that this is the worst parent in the world and I Know there is no changing that but at least this parent had one person standing up for them. When I picture this mom I picture what my family looked like 4 years ago when all of us got the flu, getting onto the internet was just not a priority. I think it's more likely that they stayed home but maybe that's because I prefer to see the good in people and not jump to conclusions and judge.
Well this parent would never put their child through a Disney trip if they are very Ill, especially with the Flu. Money/planning does not come before someone's health. Unless she replies on here, no one will know. I am just going by how she started this thread by putting ADR's, FP's and staying at their favorite resort over their childrens health (it's not fun traveling in a car with a sick child, especially for long distances)

Well this parent would never put their child through a Disney trip if they are very Ill, especially with the Flu. Money/planning does not come before someone's health. Unless she replies on here, no one will know. I am just going by how she started this thread by putting ADR's, FP's and staying at their favorite resort over their childrens health (it's not fun traveling in a car with a sick child, especially for long distances)
Have you never had a moment of panic where you weren't thinking straight? It's certainly possible that that's what happened and, after posting, they realized that it was a crazy idea. We don't know. And we probably never will. Why not just give them the benefit of the doubt?

Unless she replies on here, no one will know. I am just going by how she started this thread by putting ADR's, FP's and staying at their favorite resort over their childrens health (it's not fun traveling in a car with a sick child, especially for long distances)

But that is exactly my point. It's a snap, harsh judgement based on absolutely nothing but a hunch. You admitted you don't even KNOW if she went. You just don't know. Why not be kind and give her the benefit of the doubt??

But that is exactly my point. It's a snap, harsh judgement based on absolutely nothing but a hunch. You admitted you don't even KNOW if she went. You just don't know. Why not be kind and give her the benefit of the doubt??
Calm down now. No need to get all worked up on this. You just don’t seem to be followed what I am saying.

Maybe I am in the minority here but why would any parent consider bring a very ill family member on a trip. A long drive in a car with a sick child is not fun. Also exposing your other family members to whatever they have is not good. Sometimes it’s best for everyone to postpone until everything blows over.

So I see you have a trip in a few weeks and you are coming from Far away. Assuming you have kids, god forbid if one of them comes down with the Flu or something else that keeps them bedridden the day before you leave, will you still go?

So I see you have a trip in a few weeks and you are coming from Far away. Assuming you have kids, god forbid if one of them comes down with the Flu or something else that keeps them bedridden the day before you leave, will you still go?
You are completely missing @friedela's point. Nobody is saying that they should have gone. Everyone is in agreement that that would be an incredibly stupid idea.

The point is that we don't know what happened. We don't know if they were seriously considering going or if they were just having a temporary moment of panic. Why assume the worst? In situations like this (where you don't have any control over the situation) it really doesn't hurt anyone to err on the side of kindness.

Listen. Obviously staying home is the right choice. I won't deny that. And I am not saying that going to Disney with a very ill child is the right choice. No where have I said that (have I?) I am simply saying that you are acting as though she 100% without a doubt DID go and that she is a horrible parent for going but you just do not have those facts. Yes I am coming from far away and yes I have two kiddos. Would I go? No. But did she go? Maybe she did, but maybe... just maybe she stayed home and is really busy looking after her sick child because she's actually an amazing mom who had a moment of panic and didn't know what to do but ultimately made the right choice. There is no evidence here that this lady DID go. And that is what I take issue with. It's the judgement and assumptions that bother me. And honestly, I don't even judge her for considering going. I think lots of us have had situations where we have panicked and maybe weren't thinking clearly in the moment but that doesn't mean we are bad parents. That's all I am saying. We will never agree with one another and that is ok but I want this mom to see that there was at least one person who didn't assume the worst about her. Especially if they stayed home and their entire family ended up very ill or in hospital even. If she comes back and lets us know that she did indeed go then I will be the first to tell her that it wasn't the best choice. But on the flip side I'd feel pretty horrible if I was jumping to conclusions and pretty much calling her a horrible mother based on absolutely zero facts if indeed she cancelled her trip. I'd rather assume the best and be wrong, than assume the worst and feel like a jerk, lol. Anyway, that's all I'll say :) My goal was to make sure this mom felt like someone stood up for her and I feel I've done that so arguing is really quite pointless. I think moms need more encouragement and grace than we often give each other. We are all in this together and we are all doing our very best. And I apologize if it seems I am getting worked up, I am #1) a redhead, lol so that runs in my blood ;) :rolleyes1 But moreover I've just seen how much scrutiny and judgement and hate us moms heap on one another. If it's in my power to stand up for a mom whom I feel is being unfairly criticized then I'm going to do it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!