Would love your opinion...trip in 2 days and kiddo just got the flu

Don't go. As a PP said, being sick at Disney is not fun (BTDT) and quite possibly the rest of your family is infected. Go in the fall and use the down time to pick out some awesome costumes to wear for when you do go.

Please stay home....it sounds like you were planning to drive....don't think trip insurance will come into play...I'm sure if you contact Disney they will work with you to make all the changes for a fall trip. Good luck, and I hope your kiddo is better soon, and you and your parents stay healthy! Many thanks for considering others...it seems to be a lost art!

Although this simply echoes all the other PP’s advice, I think choice three is the best (yet I realize heartbreaking) option. This strain of flu is quite communicable and virulent, so unfortunately the rest of your family is not out of the woods. I know it is not easy to think of others when trying to make a decision about a trip your family has been planning for ages and looking forward to immensely, but there no doubt will be people at WDW who are immunocompromised. For them, exposure to the flu could quickly become quite serious. For their sake and so your DD can enjoy her trip without the lag from illness, please stay home. I wish you good health for the rest of your family and a speedy recovery to your daughter!

Even on Tamiflu your dd should be at home resting. There is no way I would being a kid with the flu to WDW, that will be way too much activity for her to handle when she is sick. Plus, you will knowingly be exposing others.

My oldest got the flu 2 years ago. We didn’t know. We flew out on a Friday (so sorry to all the people on delta leaving Hartford to Atlanta and then Atlanta to Tampa....so so sorry.)

Anyways, it was an early flight and she is the kid that will sleep anywhere plus being a teenager all they do is sleep. She slept during our layover. The next day she slept on the beach. We felt her and she was burning up but all the walk in’s were closed. So Easter morning, we were out the door and at a walk in before the masses arrived and boy was that waiting room full when we left! We finally found her tamaflu, seriously the city of Ft. Myers was out. My DH and sister were looking/calling for me and the script got transferred. She luckily felt better with in a day but kid #3 got it and it was a repeat and she felt better on tamiflu as well with in a day. Thankfully we were just doing a beach vacation so there wasn’t a ton of walking other then the car to the beach. The rest of us did not get it, even me who shares the same toothpaste tube!

Tough decision. I have been subbing as a nurse at our elementary schools and there were 2 kids who were out for the whole week with the flu.

Definitely stay home, quarantine your daughter and go on a cleaning frenzy (there are like 4 toddlers out with the flu at my daycare, pretty sure they'll be bleach bombing the place soon).

If you can swing an early May trip, the crowds shouldn't be awful.

that's a tough thing...after all the planning. However I echo what others have said, reschedule the whole thing. Even if you stay well, your dd won't be all well,and you will be spreading the flu to a huge mass of people wherever you go. It's a disappointment,sure, but the kids will now have a fall trip to look forward to.

A few years ago I came down with the flu right before the trip and we ended up going anyway. My kids have all had various one or two day bugs on different trips and we have survived with one parent in the room with the sick kiddo and one out and about with the other two.

However, with all of that being said. Don't go. I'm sorry. The flu is brutal this year. Everyone that I know that has had it has been hit hard and down for multiple days even with Tamiflu.

Please postpone the trip. Don’t take a child who is contagious with the flu into the parks.

I would definitely postpone the trip until later this year, and I know your daughter was really looking forward to your trip, but she will have a lot more fun and memorable time without the flu. Our first ever trip to Disney is next month, and unfortunately I broke my leg just over a week ago, but we haven't changed our plans. As long as our daughters have a wonderful time is what matters most.

Postpone. Your DD will not enjoy this trip! Also, I wouldn't want to take the risk of other family members catching it while we were down there.

I got the flu last year. I tested positive for Flu A after two days of symptom. I had a fever for 3 days and when the fever finally broke I still felt like I was hit by a bus for the entire week. I came to work 24 hours after I was fever free but I felt like my brain was in quick sand every time I tried to think.

Luckily no one in my family caught it. My son did get Flu B a month later. He was out of school for an entire week (plus the weekend) and still felt like crap when he went back.

Reschedule to the fall.

My 11 year old son was sick with flu last week and it was SO stressful. He was the sickest I've ever seen. Sleeping all day, delirious with fever, vomiting, unable to eat or do anything other than stare at the wall when he was awake. He had such a bad cough, etc.

This flu is very dangerous and so many kids have died, even with Tamiflu. Stay home so you can monitor your child. Taking a vacation right now should be a laughable option and I very much hope you don't decide to go. You never know who else your sick child might infect and not all outcomes are good ones with this illness. Keep her home for a week, minimum.

DON'T GO! Reschedule for the fall time. We just got back from Disney World a few days ago and we all ended up getting sick the first day of our arrival, so we didn't even have a heads up or warning ahead of time. We still did the parks from open to close and enjoyed, but it wasn't anywhere NEAR as enjoyable as it should have been. We were miserable: tired, sick, and just dragging ourselves through everything. We ended up doing about half as much as we usually do and cancelling some reservations that we had simply because we didn't have the energy to go. We couldn't really enjoy the food or rides as much as we usually do. For example, we ate at Ohana on our last night and I might have ate about half a plate because it just wasn't settling - complete waste of money. It was also really cold while we were there so that just made everything that much worse. We couldn't wait to get home to get some real rest. We both agreed that we would have been better off just cancelling everything, saving our park tickets for later in the year, and go back in a few months.

I would absolutely reschedule. The flu is absolutely not something to mess around with. Your daughter will still be contagious in 2 days and even with the Tamiflu, probably won’t be feeling great. So for her sake, and everyone else’s, please stay home. Hope she feels better soon!

My entire family came down with the flu years ago, and we were all miserable. My son came down with it first, and in the end, 6 days later we all had it. We were home, miserable, but home. I cannot imagine how much more horrible it would have been at WDW. To know it was all so close, but we were stuck in a hotel room, sick. I think it would change my families view of WDW forever. Please, postpone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!