Would it make much difference

Mom2Joce

It all started with a...
instead of the 4 days after Christmas if we went mid week jan 14th.

Our tix from getawaytoday say we can go up to the 19th of January and we aren’t feeling the crowds.

Will they have died down a bit then?

I would check the calendar on the Disneyland site to check park hours, closures, etc. Even though it would be extremely crowded, I would go right after Christmas, be there daily for MM/EE (we like to stay on site), book an early lunch at a TS, then go back to the room to relax, or go catch a movie (hoping they bring a movie theater back to DTD), then head back into the parks for the evening. What ever you decide, wishing you the best of time at the happiest place on earth!

Yes.

The week between Christmas and New Years is the busiest time in the parks. Gate closures due to capacity attendance are not uncommon that week.

Midweek January 14th would have far less crowds.

You'd also have no Christmas decorations, reduced park hours, less entertainment options... "less crowds" doesn't always equal "a greatly better experience."

It just depends what you prefer to deal with.

Agree with Skyegirl. I've gone at both times (Christmas week and early/Mid January) and the parks are very different. If you do go in Mid January, make sure you include at least one weekend day so that you have the possibility of fireworks and night-time spectaculars. Also be aware that it takes some time for them to take the holiday overlays off of Haunted Mansion and Small World. I think they'll be back up and running by the 14th, but it's worth looking into.

I'll be in the parks Dec 27-29 with my family. The crowds are rough, but azdisneylover has the right idea - get there EARLY, do lots of stuff while the crowds build, have lunch and take a break in the afternoon, then return in the evening for entertainment and some attractions as the crowds start to thin again.

Yes it will be less crowded, but like Skyegirl said, the hours won't be as long, Christmas decorations will be gone, plus there is usually a lot of refurbs around this time. Less rides open means it will cause lines for the rides that are open to be longer.

Mid-January would mean no HM (down for removal of the HMH overlay). GRR will be closed for refurbishment, too.

We'll be there the week prior - HM, astro orbitors, GRR are all down. I think IASM goes down January 21. Way less shows , no parades, only Friday, Saturday, Sunday fireworks & night time shows. We love rides & hate lines so it works for us. We'll spend 2 days on rides & the Friday we'll carve out time to see shows.

We are doing similar to Caumann. Losing only 3 rides is better than we expected. We probably wouldn't have done Astro Orbitor on this trip anyway. Our boys would love GRR even in the cold, but I am happy to skip that, too. So it's really just losing HM, in exchange for lower crowds (although I am sure it will still feel very crowded for us). I was expecting to lose small world and Splash (and maybe 1-2 other "big rides") but those all appear to be operating in the second week of Jan. Hope that sticks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter