Would I be nuts...

Anne's Family

Life is good... Really.
... to camp by myself for 5 nights in late October?

When I take my solo trips, I've always stayed at Pop Century. A campsite would probably save me around $225 or so. I would be flying and would have to carry everything with me.

Do you think I can carry a small tent, sleeping bag, self-inflating camp mat, extension cord and very small heater in checked luggage without going over weight? I would carry-on my clothing and pillow. Is that all you think I'd need? I know some of you have done this before. Help me!

Oh, the things we'll do just to get the WDW fix.

I think what your saying is "do-able", but what you may also want to check into is shipping your camping gear directly to FtW & only take your luggage on the plane.

I don't know if you can do this, but here's the number for the Front Desk at FtW to call & check it out....

1-407-824-2900

By the way... in October you do NOT need a heater. A small fan would be much more beneficial. It's still in the high 60's at night at FtW in October & very humid.

I agree, take your stuff and ship it ahead of you and then ship it back. This way, you would still save money and there would be less hassle for you on the airline.

Never thought of that.

I mentioned heater because I'm horribly cold natured. I imagine my sleeping bag would keep me warm enough. A fan would help if it actually got warm (which I'm sure it will during the day.) But I rarely spend time at my "room" during the day.

I am doing a solo tenting trip at the end of May. Flying down with all of my gear. Last year I did the same thing for 2 nights (this year is 9 nights). I've been toying with everything that I need to take and have it planned to what you mentioned -- my clothes/personal stuff in a carry on and my camping gear in a checked bag. I'll let you know how it turns out when I get back!

... to camp by myself for 5 nights in late October?

When I take my solo trips, I've always stayed at Pop Century. A campsite would probably save me around $225 or so. I would be flying and would have to carry everything with me.

Do you think I can carry a small tent, sleeping bag, self-inflating camp mat, extension cord and very small heater in checked luggage without going over weight? I would carry-on my clothing and pillow. Is that all you think I'd need? I know some of you have done this before. Help me!

Oh, the things we'll do just to get the WDW fix.

As much as I'm a FW freak/fiend whatever if the difference is only $225 and you're not staying that long by the time you factor in shipping stuff, setting up, getting supplies somehow, etc., etc. I think a value resort might make more sense. If you wanted to reduce costs even more then you might buy into the refer swaps they do along with I think some simple things like coffee pots, etc. or simply ship a cheap coffee pot and coffee to your resort, use it and then throw it away. If you get a refer you could always stop by FW and get bread, lunch meat, donuts/pastries, etc. since I'm not sure what the resorts offer along that line since I've never stayed at a Disney Resort other than FW.

Larry

Another thing to think about is that the airlines have just changed their baggage allowances. So Larry is right, you may have to ship more than you thought, and that could get costly. Maybe you could figure out what you would be shipping and get an rough idea on how much it would cost. Then you could see how much you would really be saving.

Never thought of that.

I mentioned heater because I'm horribly cold natured. I imagine my sleeping bag would keep me warm enough. A fan would help if it actually got warm (which I'm sure it will during the day.) But I rarely spend time at my "room" during the day.

If it does happen to get cold while you are there, Deb will be more than happy to take you in, since she talked you into not bringing a heater.

Never thought of that.

If it goes below 70, I am in a parka. If you are going to camp and not go to a value resort, plenty of layers are needed. We have a/c and heat and I still layer my blankets because I can't stay warm. The only time I was ever warm is when I was pregnant. After I had him, it was right back to freezing again.

If it goes below 70, I am in a parka. If you are going to camp and not go to a value resort, plenty of layers are needed. We have a/c and heat and I still layer my blankets because I can't stay warm. The only time I was ever warm is when I was pregnant. After I had him, it was right back to freezing again.

You women - cold blooded creatures. My wife would turn the heat on in the car when it's 90 degrees out.

Ftwildguy... You're supposed to say you like that.

Jen, that's exactly how I am. DH was very happy when I was pregnant, it was the only time I was hotter than he was. I guess he'll love menopause.

I thin k you will be just fine...you can have to boxes in check in luggage...airport has those demensions ...100 pound limit between the 2. Layers is good as I have stayed in Oct. and frozen....and melted lol...If you did the dining plan you'd have no worries about provisions but that can be an expense you don't want...but what a luxury..otherwise all ya need is a bed for your head at night! We are going in Dec. and will have 2 tents and a TT!!Heaters will be going for that one...oh and be sure you bring something to go under your air mattress...even in Oct. the ground can cool and make your sleeping a chilly experience!!!!:hippie:

Just a thought, you might want to try packing some of your gear in a large soft sided cooler so you have a cooler when you get there. Zips up just like a suitcase, but insulated. Worked like a champ for us.

Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter