Would I be insane to cancel most of my dinner reservations now?

RookieLady

Mouseketeer
I have been to Disney many times. I am planning on celebrating my 25th wedding anniversary (mid-August) one night at CL Boardwalk (husband's choice). Because of availability, we are moving to the Poly CL for another four nights, the next day. I enjoy eating at the restaurants, but sometimes, it's irritating to break the day to eat. I'm wanting a less structured vacation. Right now, I have the following:

First night (Boardwalk stay): I have California Grill at 7:00, staying for fireworks. We've done this before, and I like it, but because of proximity, I am thinking of dumping it and making one for Schula's. We can watch the Epcot or HS fireworks from outside the park, if we choose.

Next day, I have early entry with breakfast to HS. Then, I have 6:00 at Brown Derby. I know this gets mixed reviews, but we like it. I'm thinking of dumping it because it's heavy, and we may want to ride rides after. There's nothing worse than getting on RR right after eating here, and yes, my husband will want to do it. Also, I have made a TS at Brown Derby for literally 15 minutes later (got caught in a rain storm at a meal time). So, I'm thinking we can eat at a lounge or get in at the last minute.

Next day, I have a 1:00 Tiffins River of Light package. Again, we like flame tree a lot, and I've never really explored Harambi Market. So, I'm thinking about letting this go too, but I've never seen Rivers of Light and I will not wait 30-45 minutes just to get a good seat. Nor will my husband tolerate using a fastpass for it.

Next day, we are going to the first Halloween party. I have a late breakfast at Kona and then Diamond Horseshoe at 4:10. I have never eaten here before because it's always closed, so this is more of a curiosity reservation. I'm again thinking of dumping both and just hanging out at the resort or maybe going to Disney Springs. Not having a reservation let's us play stuff by ear, which is appealing. If I can't get in anywhere, Captain Cooks and the bar at the pool are fine, eaten at both. Also, I've had pretty good luck getting into Skippers and the Plaza day of.

Finally, we haven't decided which park to go the last day. I think my husband wants to go back to HS, but if we don't, we'll probably go back to the MK (which is where I want to go). So, I haven't really made firm reservations this day. Again, HS has the lounges and places on the Boardwalk, and I've had good luck day of at MK, and the counter service there is fine.

So, I'm thinking of spending more time in the clubs and not having to stop touring just to make a reservation. Okay to ditch as outlined, or would you keep them?

I don’t think you’re insane at all. We are increasingly relying on the lounges and bars for walk-up meals and it generally works well. We’ve also been many times and rarely have a “must do” — for those we make a reservation. For a Boardwalk stay, I agree I’d probably do something in the area vs trekking to California Grill. Flying Fish or Bluezoo would be my choices. Note that for any of the Swan & Dolphin restaurants you can make reservations using OpenTable, which is generally more flexible than the WDW system. I wouldn’t count on Brown Derby proper taking walk-ups but the lounge is a great option, as long as not raining - as you said. Nomad Lounge in Animal Kingdom is phenomenal. I also agree with a resort day or Disney Springs (SO many options there - all take walk-ups/have bars) on your Party day. I might make one reservation for a special dinner but otherwise, I think you’ll be fine.

Happy Anniversary! Have fun!!!

People cancel so frequently that even the hardest to get restaurants pop up during the day before cancellation period. You can be pretty certain that you can find something you want the day before at least if you decided your DID want an ADR.

I have been to Disney many times. I am planning on celebrating my 25th wedding anniversary (mid-August) one night at CL Boardwalk (husband's choice). Because of availability, we are moving to the Poly CL for another four nights, the next day. I enjoy eating at the restaurants, but sometimes, it's irritating to break the day to eat. I'm wanting a less structured vacation. Right now, I have the following:

First night (Boardwalk stay): I have California Grill at 7:00, staying for fireworks. We've done this before, and I like it, but because of proximity, I am thinking of dumping it and making one for Schula's. We can watch the Epcot or HS fireworks from outside the park, if we choose.

Next day, I have early entry with breakfast to HS. Then, I have 6:00 at Brown Derby. I know this gets mixed reviews, but we like it. I'm thinking of dumping it because it's heavy, and we may want to ride rides after. There's nothing worse than getting on RR right after eating here, and yes, my husband will want to do it. Also, I have made a TS at Brown Derby for literally 15 minutes later (got caught in a rain storm at a meal time). So, I'm thinking we can eat at a lounge or get in at the last minute.

Next day, I have a 1:00 Tiffins River of Light package. Again, we like flame tree a lot, and I've never really explored Harambi Market. So, I'm thinking about letting this go too, but I've never seen Rivers of Light and I will not wait 30-45 minutes just to get a good seat. Nor will my husband tolerate using a fastpass for it.

Next day, we are going to the first Halloween party. I have a late breakfast at Kona and then Diamond Horseshoe at 4:10. I have never eaten here before because it's always closed, so this is more of a curiosity reservation. I'm again thinking of dumping both and just hanging out at the resort or maybe going to Disney Springs. Not having a reservation let's us play stuff by ear, which is appealing. If I can't get in anywhere, Captain Cooks and the bar at the pool are fine, eaten at both. Also, I've had pretty good luck getting into Skippers and the Plaza day of.

Finally, we haven't decided which park to go the last day. I think my husband wants to go back to HS, but if we don't, we'll probably go back to the MK (which is where I want to go). So, I haven't really made firm reservations this day. Again, HS has the lounges and places on the Boardwalk, and I've had good luck day of at MK, and the counter service there is fine.

So, I'm thinking of spending more time in the clubs and not having to stop touring just to make a reservation. Okay to ditch as outlined, or would you keep them?

I'll start by saying we adore BWI-CL's CMs, food offerings and location and I'm a bit sad that I couldn't find a room there for our forthcoming trip and are staying at Poly CL instead. No Lorenzo, Jackie, and Brittany this trip:(.

Now back to the topic at hand. Honestly for first night particularly dealing with the uncertainties of transport to FL for us, we tend to eat as close as possible to the resort for dinner. At Boardwalk, you've so many good choices it hard to make a misstep. So if it's Shula's you want go for it. Easy to see the Epcot fireworks from that area and even your room's terrace depending on what side you are on.

In general, especially on adult trips, we limit our ADRs to the hard to get and personal celebrations and play it by ear a good 80% of the time. Lounges are great for this as are the eateries at Disney Springs where most of the places accept reservations at opentable.com which tends to have more availability than the Disney site.

Oh and here's a heads up for HBD. The lounge now offers both menus so you can eat what you want, and as a walk up.

Have fun and enjoy your anniversary!

Oh and here's a heads up for HBD. The lounge now offers both menus so you can eat what you want, and as a walk up.

Well, that's awesome. I'm definitely cancelling that one. Thanks for making me feel better about this. I think we're going to give it a go.

Do what makes you the happiest its your trip but I have to be honest the OCD/Project Manager part of my soul cringes in horror at the thought of changing ADR's.

Well, that's awesome. I'm definitely cancelling that one. Thanks for making me feel better about this. I think we're going to give it a go.
:cool2:

Something else that came to mind. You've a few breakfasts among your ADRs however that meal is included at club level and most lounges put out a pretty nice spread. I do realise that at least one of the early morn ADRs gives you an early entrance to HS though. I love riding RR and ToT but the man sits on a bench until the rest of the party gets their thrill side sated;).

The only ADR I made for our anniversary trip last August was Jiko (we stayed at AKL). I found a Cali grill dinner ADR literally the day of for 3 (took adult daughter as it was end of her 2nd DCP). And it was in firework viewing time frame. I've had CRT pop up day of (for 3) during Christmas week. The only one I never saw which I was actively looking for (but not sweating if we didn't get) was Victoria & Alberts-last minute request of DH as we went there for 10th anniversary.

People horde ADRs then change them on the fly day before/day of-Especially for the 2 of you-Dump all but what you really really want to do.

And I second Nomad being phenomenal!!! Prefer it to Tiffin's actually!

Not insane at all.

We arrive in 11 days for a week. We have zero ADR's made. Haven't made one more than a day in advance in about 3 years. Don't miss ADR's controlling my vacation one bit.

We also have had zero problems eating where we want to eat, pretty much when we want to eat, by making day before or day of ADR's. It's amazing what opens up when people have to release reservations or be charged $10/person. It also lets you know that, regardless of what some here think, ADR's are hoarded by many.

Not insane at all.

We arrive in 11 days for a week. We have zero ADR's made. Haven't made one more than a day in advance in about 3 years. Don't miss ADR's controlling my vacation one bit.

We also have had zero problems eating where we want to eat, pretty much when we want to eat, by making day before or day of ADR's. It's amazing what opens up when people have to release reservations or be charged $10/person. It also lets you know that, regardless of what some here think, ADR's are hoarded by many.

It's not really a secret. I've been told this by some Disney dining reps. So you can reserve Obama for a number of dates and decide during your stay when you want to go. This goes on and Disney shares the info encouraging checking the day before or morning of.

Keep the hard to get reservations you must do and cancel the rest and play by ear. Also another not so secret tip from the DFB-you can cancel day of by changing your reservation for another day in the available future. Then cancel that by 11 the night before. Even far in the future when your not in WDW. Has anybody done this?

If you like surf and turf the package is a great deal and the food at Tiffins is delicious. If you prefer the less expensive meals it might not be the best option.

It's not really a secret. I've been told this by some Disney dining reps. So you can reserve Obama for a number of dates and decide during your stay when you want to go. This goes on and Disney shares the info encouraging checking the day before or morning of.

Keep the hard to get reservations you must do and cancel the rest and play by ear. Also another not so secret tip from the DFB-you can cancel day of by changing your reservation for another day in the available future. Then cancel that by 11 the night before. Even far in the future when your not in WDW. Has anybody done this?
oh my!!!!

How did Ohana turn into our former President? Sheesh.

If you want to play it more by ear you will be just fine rolling the dice in August and going where your stomach leads you. As long as you are flexible on time and where to eat, the world is definitely your oyster. We are going in August as well and I have exactly 1 reservation made (Cali Grill for Halloween fireworks) and it will likely stay that way. Especially if its just the two of you there are lots of great bars/lounges where you can grab some drinks and something to eat without being waited down by ADRs.

I don't think you are insane at all. I few years ago we didn't have any ADR's for 6 of our 7 nights. I was surprised at what I was able to get by using the MDE app a few hours or the night before. I didn't always get what I wanted, but with a little flexibility I was able to secure some really good ADR's last minute that worked with my plans. I'm sure either way you are going to have a great time.

However, this time I will be in WDW in 15 days and for only four days before our cruise, so I did want a structured plan while there. I have everything booked and very well planned out so that I can maximize my time at WDW, not just the attractions and time in the park, but our time in the restaurants as well.

I travel two different ways depending on who I travel with. When it’s hubby and me, I try to keep things less structured because he likes to be a little organized, but also likes flexibility in our days. When I travel with my parents I usually have every single ADR and FP+ booked. My dad has anxiety and although he would never admit it, I can see where spontaneity and deviation from our normal activities bothers him.

Hubby has converted me to an ADR ditcher for at least a few days of our trip. On our trip a couple of weeks ago I left the last two days open except for dinner at Ohana before MK After Hours. We had a great time. We walked up to Homecoming in Disney Springs, made a lunch ADR at Sci Fi a few hours ahead of time, and an ADR at Yachtsman Steakhouse a few hours beforehand.

I think it's fine, especially as you are staying CL. It's a more relaxing vacation. Maybe keep a couple just in case; you can always the day before. I think having less ADRs is more relaxing and you can always find an opening somewhere last minute. Or just eat at CS.

First night: dump Cali Grill. Personally, there is no way I would go all the way to CR from BWI for dinner especially if I were transferring to the Poly the next day. IMHO, you don't even need to make a reservation for Shula's now. I've been able to get into every single Swan/Dolphin restaurant day-of.

Second day: If you really want to eat at HBD, I would keep one of the reservations. I have seen availability there become quite slim. Or, simply plan on going to the lounge and dumping the ADR.

Third day: I would dump both. Chances are you can walk-up to Kona for late breakfast and, if not, just go to Capt. Cook's or order room service. The chances of you getting a day-of reservation in MK in late August are pretty darn good. We actually walked up to Skippers on the first party night two years ago. Again, if it doesn't work, just do QS.

We rarely make ADR's anymore. I just hate to be tied to an eating schedule and, except when we've traveled close to the Christmas holiday, we've always found last minute ADR's or just eat QS.

I am thinking of dumping it and making one for Schula's.

Just FYI there was a recent menu change at Shula's which hasn't seen a change in years from what I can tell. They removed a few of our favorites, we dropped them off of our list for our upcoming trip.

NYCgrrl said:

Just keep in mind, and I haven't seen you mention whether you're on the DDP or not, that lounges (including HBD Lounge) do not take the dining plan.

You're staying CL so you will always have something available to eat. I would not want to do that many sit down meals for a shorter stay. Maybe Liberty Tree on your Halloween night since you have never done that before but it sounds like you would have a great time going without the firm plans. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter