Worth it to rent my 19 points?

heatherah73

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

We are fairly new to DVC (bought at Poly last year and have taken a few trips now) and have 19 points left over from our Feb 2018 use year. We are not sure when we will be traveling back to WDW and what would be the best use of these points.

If we bank them now (we have to end of Sept to do this) can we still rent them? Is it even worth the trouble to rent out 19 points? I'm assuming we wouldn't get a great return on them, but would welcome any advice. Thanks!

Hi all,

We are fairly new to DVC (bought at Poly last year and have taken a few trips now) and have 19 points left over from our Feb 2018 use year. We are not sure when we will be traveling back to WDW and what would be the best use of these points.

If we bank them now (we have to end of Sept to do this) can we still rent them? Is it even worth the trouble to rent out 19 points? I'm assuming we wouldn't get a great return on them, but would welcome any advice. Thanks!
Yes, you can rent out banked points. No problem there. You cannot transfer banked points to another owner. You might find an owner who needs those points and will do a transfer. They would then be able to bank the points into 2019 if they wish.

Most of the brokers want their owners to offer up at least 100 for rent. In some cases, they will take fewer but 19 is such an exceedingly small number that I think you'll have trouble finding one who would take you on. It really isn't enough for more than a single night anywhere and with them expiring at the end of January, it will be difficult to even find something available between now and then.

Bank them. You never know whether you will decide to take a trip during your 2019 UY. If you don't then you can consider whether you want to add some 2019 points to those 19 so that you can rent them out.

I agree that you should probably bank them. Then they couldn't be used before your new use year, Feb 2019, but they could go with something else in 2019, even if you decided to rent out some or all of your points.

You CAN rent out small amounts of points. I just rented out 14 points. But I did it myself, not through an agency, and I specified right up front that it would be enough points to get ONE night, at some locations. You might be able to get $14 a point, but at least $13.

One trouble is that there is NOTHING available at MOST locations between now and late January, and only a few rooms in January at SSR. For instance, not a single room at Poly, in all those months. Animal Kingdom has 2 studio nights available, between now and end January, etc.

So, banking is probably best, at this time.

As long as they are bankable, I would do so. If you decide to rent them, that will give you a longer window. Availability is quite spotty now for reservations through January 31.

Since you don't know when you're traveling back you may also have 2019 points to rent. I'd bank the 2018 points and then figure out what the plans for your own usage will be. Once that's decided then you might have more than 19 points to rent.

I have rented as few as 15 points when I had some left in one year. It should be not too big of a deal to get $15/point anyway.

You could also transfer them to someone at the same rate! With a transfer you don't have to look for resort and availability dates, it's in the hands of the transferee! I've bought transfer points, sometimes I've just needed a few extra points!

If you are new to DVC then i would just bank them into 2019 UY so you would have to rent or use them by Jan 31st 2020. If you know you won't be taking a trip with your 2019 points you could rent them. Usually rental companies want a min # of points rented (maybe around 75-100) or you could rent out points yourself, but unlikely that 19 points would do much for someone renting. It is always nice to have that little cushion of points so keeping them would be my vote.

If you know for certain that you do not want or need these points for possible travel Feb 2019 - Jan 2020 then you could post them on the transfer board BUT you would have to have them transferred out before the end of this month or you might get stuck with them after your banking window and definitely not being able to use them. There might be a member out there who just need a few more points to make a reservation.

But i did just notice that you don't have very many postings on this website. I believe you have to have a number of contributing postings in order to utilize the rent/transfer board here. So with that just bank them.

If you're having problems renting and have enough for one night, go on Dibb (UK forum) and offer them up there. Loads of UK people want single nights it seems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter