Worth it for ONE day?

Carolynleanne

Canadian Disney mom
Hi guys -

We've got a 10 day WDW vacation booked for January. We've never done Universal before, but recently my two boys (6 &8) have caught the Harry Potter bug. They're obsessed! I'm trying to stomach the idea of heading over there for one day so they can experience it, but it's going to cost us a grand. About $250 per person.

I know 'worth' is a tricky word as it means something different to anyone, but I'm a little worried about paying all that money and being severely disappointed. Should we wait til they're older and make it a multi-day visit instead?

PS - The alternative is to take him to the Universal story at MCO and let him buy something there. That's certainly cheaper, haha.

Book a room for 1 night at one of the 3 deluxe hotels - you'll get early entry and an unlimited express pass for the whole family. I would absolutely do it if the kids love HP so much.

Would this be your only chance for the foreseeable future or will you go to Orlando again in a year or two? If you go ever year or every other year, I might wait until the next trip and take 2-3 days and spend 1-2 nights at a Deluxe hotel.

Do you really need 10 days at Disney? I say split your trip and add in some Universal time.
But, if you won’t do that then YES even one day would be great! The Harry Potter stuff will blow you all away. Gift the kids gift cards to buy interactive wands($50).

Just curious how you calculated it being $250 per person if it's one day. Is that including the dining plan, another ticket add-on, or you adding the room, so technically if you divide by each person (ticket + room) it would be $250 a person?

That being said, like others have suggested, is it possible to take another day away from Disney perhaps to make more time and money for Universal? However, you seem to really struggle with the idea of going to Universal, but if it's something you really want to do for your boys sacrificing another day might be good time and money wise? I believe doing the wand thing for example would be especially magical, especially the youngest. You could wait a few years, but their ages are at a time of wonder and imagination at this time.

I've seen and heard a lot from people who are not hardcore Potter fans who really love the area too. It definitely is a site to see.

We struggled with the same thing, except for 2 adults. The first time, we went to Universal for one day, one park only. We wanted sTudios side with MIB, Minions, etc plus harry potter, which we both love. It did cost a lot of money, just for 2 people. We got EP's because we thought it would be one and done!
However, we had so much fun and really enjoyed the more relaxed pace of Universal, that we booked the over night stay at RPR and absolutely loved it. We stay at Disney for 9 or 10 days, so we booked this in the middle of our stay. We went early (by 7am) on reservation day and got our free EP's, tickets, hotel keys and went to the park for early entry. WE left our bags at bell services.
When we came back after a fun day at Uni, we went to our rooms. The hotel and rooms are fantastic, by the way. The next day we left our bags with bell services, and went to the parks again all day. You can stay til closing the 2nd day if you want. Then back to Disney. This is the only way we will do this now. It is impossible to see all there is in one day, including the Harry Potter parts of the parks. Either way, you will have a blast!

My wife and I had a similar discussion about our trip in September 2020. I have a family of 6 (girls aged 12, 9, 7, 4). For us, we consider trade offs.

For example, for us 1 Day of tickets at universal is $1000. Alternatively, going from 5 park days to 9 park days is $276 worth of tickets. Considering ticket prices and boarding costs, I would rather add several days to my vacation. But not everyone does.

Trade off questions for OP:
Could you put that $1000 towards another trip in 2020 just to do Universal? Universal is great for a 3 day or so trip.
What could you do at Disney with $1000? Tours? Dining?
Could you do a fun getaway around your home town for $1000?

Neither Disney nor Universal make it cost effective for a one day trip!

First time we did Universal we did a split stay to get the most out of our money. We spent 3 days at Universal and then 7 at Disney. From that point forward we either did a Disney trip or a Universal trip, but never both in one because of the cost.

If you decide to do a split stay and stay on-site at one of Universal's deluxe hotels, do the Universal portion at the end of your trip. We did it at the begining and my kids got spoiled with the thrill rides and express pass. The whole time we were at DIsney they kept wanting to go back to Universal!

Only you can decide if it's worth the cost for your family. Personally, I don't think I'd spend $1000 just for one day.

Just curious how you calculated it being $250 per person if it's one day. Is that including the dining plan, another ticket add-on, or you adding the room, so technically if you divide by each person (ticket + room) it would be $250 a person?

That being said, like others have suggested, is it possible to take another day away from Disney perhaps to make more time and money for Universal? However, you seem to really struggle with the idea of going to Universal, but if it's something you really want to do for your boys sacrificing another day might be good time and money wise? I believe doing the wand thing for example would be especially magical, especially the youngest. You could wait a few years, but their ages are at a time of wonder and imagination at this time.

I've seen and heard a lot from people who are not hardcore Potter fans who really love the area too. It definitely is a site to see.

Sorry, that's CANADIAN funds, haha. Passes for a 2 Parks 1 Day was $175 per person USD.

We've already booked and paid for ten days at Disney. We rent DVC and are staying at Board Walk and Grand Floridian. We've also bought 10 day Park Hopper+ passes thanks to the Canadian rate. And our flights are booked, so there's no wiggle room to change accomodations or flights at this point. The Harry Potter obsession just kicked into high gear in the past couple of months AFTER we booked.

There's a good chance we'll be back in Orlando in the next three years. We are frequent travelers who average 2 trips a year. After this trip is a big one to Scotland for two weeks, so the earliest return would likely be 2022.

My wife and I had a similar discussion about our trip in September 2020. I have a family of 6 (girls aged 12, 9, 7, 4). For us, we consider trade offs.

For example, for us 1 Day of tickets at universal is $1000. Alternatively, going from 5 park days to 9 park days is $276 worth of tickets. Considering ticket prices and boarding costs, I would rather add several days to my vacation. But not everyone does.

Trade off questions for OP:
Could you put that $1000 towards another trip in 2020 just to do Universal? Universal is great for a 3 day or so trip.
What could you do at Disney with $1000? Tours? Dining?
Could you do a fun getaway around your home town for $1000?

Yeah, that's a great reminder. We could stay at a nice hotel for 5 nights at the cost of one day just to do Harry Potter. I think that helps me!!!

I've done many one day trips to Universal and I love them! The nice thing about Universal is that the two parks are right next to each other (before the 3rd gate opens in 2020) so you can walk between them. Park hopping at Disney always eats up so much time. For Harry Potter kids it's a must, everything you've heard about the Wizarding World is true, it really is THAT good and that worth it.

I don't think you'd be disappointed in the trip there. The Harry Potter lands are amazing.
However, I'm not sure I'd say it's worth $1000. I'd recommend saving that money for a trip dedicated to Universal so you can really enjoy the park and not be rushed. We did a trip a couple years ago for about 1200 for 3 people with 3 day tickets. So wait a year or two and save a little more and could probably do a 3/4 trip for 4 plus have some new rides

Boys in general prefer and enjoy Universal much more than DW. Our 8 year old within a half hour of being at DW is bored and ALWAYS asks to go to Universal instead. He's not into princess stuff, cutsey characters, and waiting in lines. He wants to go on rides constantly not just walk around. He's all boy. Especially at 6 and 8 years old and Harry Potter fans, they more than likely will not only enjoy HP but the super hero areas such as Captain America, Spider Man, The Hulk, Jurassic Park, and the younger one Seuss Land. They also enjoy the Minions, Simpsons and Men in Black. So much more visual stimulation and ride action for boys. If possible I would suggest breaking up the 10 days at DW and booking a couple days at a Universal Deluxe hotel to get the included Express Passes and I guarantee you that will be part of the trip your kiddos will be talking about when they get home. Especially when they can show off their pictures of Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley and maybe even Spiderman to their friends. Family trip enjoyment is embedded in the sounds of our childrens voices. Silly Muggles, DW is for girls-LOL! Have Fun!

Sorry, that's CANADIAN funds, haha. Passes for a 2 Parks 1 Day was $175 per person USD.

There's a good chance we'll be back in Orlando in the next three years. We are frequent travelers who average 2 trips a year. After this trip is a big one to Scotland for two weeks, so the earliest return would likely be 2022.

Big Universal fan here, but...

I would just wait and go at a time you can actually make the time to give USO its justice. If you try to squeeze in 1 day at the parks you're likely going to be stressed over having spent $1000 for that day, rushed to get through all of the rides, disappointed that there aren't more HP rides, or mad at your kid for not enjoying it more.

Like it or not, our attitude going in influences our impressions. If you don't actually want to experience Universal (or at least not right now) then you're not going to enjoy it, and it will be hard for your kids to enjoy it.

Also, how tall are they? would they be able to ride the HP rides? Or just one of them would be tall enough? If not both, I’d definitely wait. I remember when youngest was 6 we went to WDW and his older siblings could ride all the thrill rides and he couldn’t. The disappointment on his part was huge and he wasn’t remotely obsessed with the themes. I can’t imagine the disappointment if he had been obsessed.

No I would not do it. That is a lot of money for 1 day. Enjoy some down time, or do something completely new at Disney (like Fort Wilderness, especially with 6 and 8 year old boys). Relax and enjoy Disney.

We are huge Universal Fans and my opinion is still to wait.
Depending on height, your 8 year old should be able to ride most everything except for the big coasters, but your 6 year old may not. Not worth it IMO.

The Harry Potter lands are amazing! But I’m sure your boys will enjoy them just as much in a few years. Especially then you’ll have more time to enjoy everything.

*my advice is always to take the time to enjoy the “vacation” part of a family vacation to Orlando. You can’t do everything. And at the end of the day, it is a stressful thing for most of us to try to add $1000 to the budget. I wouldn’t take on that stress.

I’m Canadian. We’ve done two USO trips. My vote is you wait.

1. If you’re really only going to do HP, you might be able to enjoy yourself but if you’re planning on doing more than that (especially on the last day of your holiday), you’re going to feel rushed and you’re likely going to miss lots.

2. Check your kids heights and ride heights. At the ages you’ve listed it’s possible they might be too short for FJ and Hagrid’s at least.

3. I’m assuming you won’t have EP or EE since you’ll be staying off site? EE really makes a difference for both sides of HP, especially if your kids want to do the interacrive wand spell stations. You’ll want the time when the areas are the least crowded. And do note, HP on both sides, still do get quite crowded (bordering on unenjoyable in our opinions - at least in midday hours).

4. It looks like if you’re going in 2022 your one child will be 11? It’d be the perfect time to get his Hogwarts letter and do the trip. Also by that age you’ll ensure that they are both likely tall enjoy, brave enough, and mature enough to enjoy everything the parks has to offer outside of HP.

And, most import (IMHO), depending on the time of year you go, as a Canadian you’re going to get pretty good deals if you book a hotel and tickets through OSU. As a CDN, for the past three years at least, you get offered the “unlimited ticket” if staying at the hotels and booking tickets through them. This ticket gives you P2P for 14 days, and also includes VB. They also give you a $50 “resort activities” credit, which we used for 2 days of meal plans which can be split between everyone and used over the course of the trip piecemeal (doesn’t have to be used in one person and one day, actually have a year to use credits). We also had the option of using the credit to book the HP breakfast, Blue Man Group, mini putt, dinner show, etc. You also will have the option to upgrade your tickets onsite to an AP or like $50, if I recall correctly. And you’re given a coupon book that gives you about 30% off nearly every restaurant on CityWalk and some other benefits and discounts as well. It also gives you priority access/seating to some shows. Since you’re staying at a USO hotel you’ll at least have EE - Cabana Bay, SF. Pretty much anywhere else you’d also have an EP for your stay. We tend to go the week after American Thanksgiving. We stay in a family suite (bedroom, living space with pull out, kitchenette and divided bathroom and LARGE walk in closet) on the poolside in the “courtyard” area. We’ve done a 10 day vacation. Including that deal through USO (hotel and tickets and some food), AC airfare and a car rental on Expedia - we were about $1350/person. So I definitely feel like a you could use your $1000 in a better way. We also feel that doing USO really does need more than a day. We’ve had 2 vacations there at this point and there’s still lots we haven’t seen (though we also tend to only go to parks a few hours per day, have pool afternoons, take advantage of VB, visit a shopping outlet and have often gone and done “free” or cheap things at Disney - eg. DS, dinner reservation at one of the hotels, do a tour of the decorations and Christmas trees at their hotels, do a Disney mini putt or one on International Drive, etc.).

Thanks, all! I really appreciate your perspectives. We're going to pass this trip. We'll do it right when we go. We do Disney every other year and it's the kids (and our) favourite place on earth. We paid $1800 for accomodations for 9 nights, I cannot stomach $1000 for one day park tickets. We'll be back in 2022 and will plan to do a 7 night Disney, 3 nights Universal trip! I'm a travel agent and can get some great rates to actually stay there ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter