Worried about trains from Paris

luvgoing2disney

DIS Veteran
We are booked for our first trip to DLP next July. Our hotel is in the city but we are planning a two day visit to the parks. Not being accustomed to a train system for transportation (we are from the States) and not speaking French (although I'm learning basic phrases) my biggest concern is using the rail system. I understand about the Metro and RER but it is still something so different for me and I'm worried I may make the wrong selection, board the wrong train, etc. UGH!

Hi from Germany!

Do not be afraid. I do not speak any French at all (but I am learning a little bit more each time at DLP) and we always travel by train to Paris and sometimes from Paris to DLP.

It sounds complicated but it is very easy. You can inform yourself here before you go:

https://parisbytrain.com/rer-train-paris-to-euro-disney/

or here

https://www.travellingwithnikki.com/2014/01/gare-du-nord-to-disneyland-paris-by-rer/

But you can also think about booking a private shuttle transfer from Paris to DLP, I have used Ezyshuttle or TIO Shuttle in the past and porth are very reliable.

http://site.ezyshuttle.com/

http://www.tioshuttle.com/_index.html

Have fun!

Don't worry! It's a piece of cake, you speak English and you are not going to Japan or China where there is a completely different alphabet :) The word train is spelled the same in French as it is in English and it means the same! How easy is that ;-)

Follow the signs from the terminal to the station and you will be fine. If you haven't looked it up before you arrive, which I get as you don't know exactly how long it takes from terminal to station, waiting for luggage etc, there is free wifi at the airport and the train station. Use Googlemaps, look at the stations inbetween so you can keep track of going in the right direction.

You boarded and you realize it's the wrong train. What would you do when that would happen in the US, even when you are not accustomed to public transportation? Most likely you ask the people standing next to you or if you feel independent, you get out at the next stop and take the train in the opposite direction. You wouldn't stay seated till the end of the line and wait till someone would get you and tell you, you are in the wrong train ;-)

Also, ask yourself: If you make the wrong choice, what's the worst that can happen? You might arrive at Disneyland Paris 10 minutes later. What's 10 minutes on a whole day or a whole vacation?

Oh, and one more thing, to make it even easier for tourists, the station 'Marne la Vallee - Chessy' has a Mickey sign next to it.

Relax, it's only France :)

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the encouragement! I’m the planner in the family so DW leaves everything to me. And in the process I obsess over everything. I mainly don’t wont to appear to be a rude, uninformed American tourists so I’ve been reading, re-reading, watching YouTube and trying to get all the info I possibly can so I can be as prepared as much as possible.

Our 26 Year old son is also going and he has been to Paris so he will be a big help I’m sure. I just want to do my part in preparation!

Obsession. It’ll kill ya!

Hihihi, don't worry about being rude, France has a reputation in that area of expertise ;-) (nah, don't worry, most of the French are fine, only customer service is very different from the US (and the rest of the world) ).

First line of the article 'Tourism in Paris' on Wikipedia: Tourism in Paris is a major income source. In 2017, 33.8 million tourists visited the city and her region.

Of those 33.8 million tourists, even if only 0.01% makes a mistake by taking the wrong train, that's still over 3.000 people a year! Which is about 10 people per day. If you are one of them, rest assured you are not alone. And, on top of that, when you ask for direction after boarding a wrong train, you will never meet this French person again ;-)

We are booked for our first trip to DLP next July. Our hotel is in the city but we are planning a two day visit to the parks. Not being accustomed to a train system for transportation (we are from the States) and not speaking French (although I'm learning basic phrases) my biggest concern is using the rail system. I understand about the Metro and RER but it is still something so different for me and I'm worried I may make the wrong selection, board the wrong train, etc. UGH!

I am from the States too. I've been to Paris and DLP twice, and I consider it to be one of the best and easiest to use rail systems in the world. You will have no problems using it.

Little tip: If you're going to have data on your phone, you can go to google, type where you want to go, and there will be a metro option. Google will actually tell you exactly which lines to take and where to get off. I've used this all over the world and it's incredible!

So would this be correct?

We are staying in the 8th Arrondoment about two blocks from the Courcelles metro. We would take that to Charles de Gaulle etoille near Arc de Triomph and board the RER A to Disneyland then just the reverse when we return in the evening?

So would this be correct?

We are staying in the 8th Arrondoment about two blocks from the Courcelles metro. We would take that to Charles de Gaulle etoille near Arc de Triomph and board the RER A to Disneyland then just the reverse when we return in the evening?

Yup.

Little tip: If you're going to have data on your phone, you can go to google, type where you want to go, and there will be a metro option. Google will actually tell you exactly which lines to take and where to get off. I've used this all over the world and it's incredible!

It is super easy - it really is just follow Mickey’s head. I didn’t have data every day, so a trip out of the city like for Disney, I would google map directions, then screenshot the directions. That way I could refer back to it without using data later.

I have an app called citymapper and it gives you step by step directions. I used it in London and we found our way through their underground easily. It even tells you what car to ride in that aren't as crowded. You do need data on your phone, but you can screen shot it when you have wifi and use it like that. It has been truly helpful for us. It will give you all the options, train, walking, uber, it even has a funny one for jetpack. It really saved us in London and we speak the language! lol.

I have an app called citymapper and it gives you step by step directions. I used it in London and we found our way through their underground easily. It even tells you what car to ride in that aren't as crowded. You do need data on your phone, but you can screen shot it when you have wifi and use it like that. It has been truly helpful for us. It will give you all the options, train, walking, uber, it even has a funny one for jetpack. It really saved us in London and we speak the language! lol.

A good friend went to DLP last year and suggested the same app. I’ve already got it installed on my phone! Thanks!

Another vote for Citymapper - heck, I use it in London even though I've worked there for 10 years and know my way around! Admittedly, I normally only call on it to re-route me if say a tube line is down or something, but it does do a fantastic job. Plus I've used it in other cities (Paris, New York, etc.) as well, so it's not just useful for tourist situations.

On top of using an app for the subway system I'd recommend Google Maps. I've never been to Paris (yet), but if it's like many cities around the world it will clearly tell you which way to go and for some cities and stations it will tell you which platform (1, 2, etc.). Worse case you can ask someone to verify you are going the right way. Even with the person speaking minimal English you can point at the station you want and they should be able to point out the right train. You'll be fine.

This thread is really helpful as we are going in July as well, but we are staying on property at Hotel Santa Fe. When we arrive by RER, do we have to take our luggage through the security lines to go through Disney Village to Hotel Santa Fe? Or is there a shuttle? What would be the easiest way? Thanks!

There is a shuttle which goes from right outside the station to the Hotel. If you use this your luggage will have to go through an airport type scanner at the entrance to the hotel.

Or you can walk from the station in which case you will have to go through security into the village where again there is an airport type scanner to put your luggage through

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter