Working w/o Pay

Thanks. I started looking for new employment the DAY that we were told that operations were ceasing. I continued to work for two reason really.

1. To ensure that the other employees would get paid as soon as there was funds to do so. And I did in fact ensure that the hourly employees first got paid out for the hours worked as soon as there was funds to do so. Then once there was additional fund continued to ensure that funds went to pay employees, until every one was paid what was due them.

2. I didn't know what else to do. I've been working since I was 14, with the exception of 6 months - a year after having each of my daughters. I had been with this company for 21 years.

I took the first job I was offered, even though it was not the position I had applied for nor in my field. I also kept looking for position in my field. I was just thankful that I had lived as frugally as I did and had some savings built up to help me through.

It can be hard to bail on your work 'family' after 21 years. Glad to hear it worked out for you to receive your earnings eventually. That's a hard position to be in.

How long would you continue to work for a long term employer without getting paid?

I always said I would QUIT as soon as I missed my first pay check. BUT when my previous employer closed I worked FT for 2 full months helping with closing the business with only assurances that I would get paid once building & equipment was sold, which I did. I continued to work on a PT basis for another 15 months.
Depends on whether I have the financial back up to help out my soon to be former employer. Not convenient for me? Bye bye.

Back in the mid 80s I went to work for a friend who was looking to grow his business. In the first year there were times that pay checks might be late or there were not enough funds to cover them. He always made them right within a few days or so.
I stuck it out with him because I believed in the owner and he was my friend.
Over the years we grew and became successful. In the first few years we all got new work trucks while the owner drove around in an old pickup truck. He put everything back into this business.
In the years that we made a profit we all got bonuses. In the leaner years we got our pay and benefits.
Back in the early 90s my friend/owner told my self and two others who had been with him from the beginning that if he passed away while still owning the business we would inherit it.
In the late 90s I moved away and had left the company.
A few years ago my friend passed away and true to his word the two remaining employees and the person who took my job inherited the company.
I did what I did in the beginning because I saw a future for this company and my friend. If I had just been a number on a time card and an unknown person to management I think I would have been gone.

Actually I had a friend who ran a small store in the mall. Her entire family would help her out without pay. State got wind of that and fined her. It's illegal not to pay folks in California.

I have a family to provide for. I'd start looking for a new job as soon as I knew that we might be working without pay. I'd possibly stay on a short period of time on good faith, but get it in writing so that I have something to take to court should it come to that.

I work because I need the money - no other reason. As soon as I knew there was even a chance the pay was going to stop I would have to be actively looking for another job. When the first cheque was missed without a very, very credible plan for getting things back on track immediately, I've be gone and applying for unemployment while I job-searched full time.
Question: Do you get unemployment in your neck of the woods if you quit? Is a missed paycheck considered quit for cause? In my state, that would be open to interpretation. And given who has been appointed to adjudicate disputes, it would be an uphill battle here.

Well, my son is in the Secret Service. He worked about a month+ without a pay check last year when the government shut down. Luckily his wife still got paid as she was a contractor for the Navy.

I basically did that when I was in College with Internships. No pay. Working for College credit. Then my College expressed concern at how many internship credits I was taking, so I would take 1 Unit for an internship that might involve 24 hours "work" a week for the semester.
Got me my first and second jobs.
But that was 40+ years ago. My current employer might have one intern a semester, and they are paid because in California it is illegal to have an intern do anything resembling work without them being paid. They can only 'watch". What good is that?

Yes, me too.....it was called Student Teaching. :)

Yes, me too.....it was called Student Teaching. :)
Not sure how long this has been the case, but student teachers are paid in California for the same reason interns in TV stations are paid. Under California law, if they are doing work, they must be paid. If they are just observing, they can be unpaid but must get college credit.

Actually I had a friend who ran a small store in the mall. Her entire family would help her out without pay. State got wind of that and fined her. It's illegal not to pay folks in California.

It’s basically illegal everywhere. DOL regulations etc. it’s one of the reasons the company I work for is in so much trouble.

Many say they wouldn’t work a day without pay which is good in theory but while you can quit and collect if you actually haven’t been paid if you quit just because you THINK you won’t be paid you can’t collect. And if you go on unemployment even if you haven’t been paid you still have to go an additional week before you can be eligible to collect and another week after that before you actually collect so three weeks at minimum without pay depending upon how frequently you get paid. Plus if they pay you in the meantime between the time you quit and the time you are eligible to file (eg, you quit Friday when you don’t get your check and they release the pay Friday night to be in your account Monday) your former employer can contest your unemployment which could drag the whole thing out for several more weeks. If you are lucky and don’t live paycheck to paycheck this might be feasible. So you look for a job, hope the checks come relatively on time and hope you find a job before they really and truly run out of money. ETA. And while I can afford to go a few weeks without pay I am in the accounting dept and had already seen that the company I worked for wasn’t bothered at the idea of never paying employees who quit instead taking the chance of getting sued.

Last edited:
Not sure how long this has been the case, but student teachers are paid in California for the same reason interns in TV stations are paid. Under California law, if they are doing work, they must be paid. If they are just observing, they can be unpaid but must get college credit.

That sure would have been nice back in the day! :)

I would never, unless there was some other compensation. Like getting OT to bank towards vacation time. But money makes the world go round and I can't get off the carousel, soooooooo....

Mission essential DOD contractor-I don't work with out pay by my GS colleagues do everytime Congress fails to do it's job......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter