Working my way to a 5K - slowly!

Karabee

DIS Veteran
Hi All!
So I'm not even sure anyone will ready this, but I need something to keep me going as I train for a 5K. That's right, only a 5K. Not a marathon, not even a half marathon, just my first 5K. :thumbsup2
To start with, I have never, ever been a runner. Even when I was extremely active in sports I was always the last to finish the warm up jog - if I was able to finish at all. I can walk for a long time, I can play volleyball and bike, but I can barely run.
My goal is to be able to go to Disney World in May for the Expedition Everest Challenge! It sounds like so much fun for me, and since I will have just turned 30, I really need to stay in shape. I want to feel good and not "plan" to start working out.
A few years ago I was in the best shape of my life, then grad school hit and the work outs stopped. Ever since then I have had excuse after excuse - but no more! I'm naturally tall and thin, but that doesn't mean I'm in shape! :rolleyes1
So while this is my journey to running a 5K, I'm more than happy to have people post about their challenges and see how we do! :goodvibes

Go for it! If I may... I've been following the Galloway "run-walk-run" plan which has worked really well for me. You may want to check it out. Good luck!

Go for it! If I may... I've been following the Galloway "run-walk-run" plan which has worked really well for me. You may want to check it out. Good luck!

Excellent! I'll have to look that one up as well :thumbsup2

So yesterday I completed Day 2 of the training. Needless to say I felt pretty good about myself, until I stayed bright red for about an hour after. I looked like a tomato! Progress so far:

Saturday - Completed the first day and was really proud of myself, but I felt absolutely sick when I was done. I really felt horrible. Eventually though, I felt better after drinking lots of water and I was only a tad bit sore the next day. :)

Monday - Got home from work and immediately went out for my walk/run so I wouldn't think that the couch looked more enticing. It was a beautiful day out - although a bit humid. I live near a bike/walking path, so I use that for my walk/run. I really need to remember if there are any hills in AK and take that into account when I get better, because the bike path is fairly flat. I also realized that I feel so silly mixing walking and running while everyone else is breezing by me, so there is this little side path that goes behind an apartment complex that I used on my way back which no one was on. It's along the river and it really lovely. I liked running without other people around, which if I'm running a 5K in Disney I need to get over that!

Every time I wanted to give up I thought - "getting in shape and an excuse to see the mouse". :thumbsup2

Good luck! You can do it! I am doing my first 5K in mid Nov, and am doing Jeff Galloway's program. My goal is the Wine and Dine 1/2 in Nov 2013.

Can't wait to follow your progress!

Good luck! You can do it! I am doing my first 5K in mid Nov, and am doing Jeff Galloway's program. My goal is the Wine and Dine 1/2 in Nov 2013.

Can't wait to follow your progress!

Thanks, Shinysparklybubbles! (love the username!) I looked into Jeff Galloway's program as well and I'm going to continue this one, but I'll need something else to keep me motivated so I might try that one as well. It won't hurt! Good luck on your training for the Wine and Dine!

So yesterday was Day 3! I'm really starting to feel like I can do this. Yesterday was a beautiful day here so I decided to take my sister up on her offer to go to a park and do my training there. My sister is in Grad School and is a Nanny for the cutest little boy so she said they would walk the track with me. It actually worked out really well, but I noticed that it was harder to remember when to walk or run since we were talking so much! :laughing:
Overall, I did well, but it was definitely harder to do with someone else there. I might have to throw in an extra day this week before I start Day 4 - which kicks it up a notch.

On a fun note I noticed that when I work out, I am more aware of what I'm putting in my body. I think it has something to do with feeling healthier and then trying to keep that up while I'm eating as well. Does anyone else feel the same?

Although that might be broken this weekend - my best friend is coming to visit and we are taking a Philadelphia Chocolate Tour :lmao:

Last night I started Week 2! This time, I had to start with 5 minutes of walking, run for 90 seconds, walk for 2 minutes, so on and so forth. I was doing really well but at the end hit a wall. Every time I'm at the end I cannot imagine running that whole time!
I keep picturing doing this when its dark, hot and humid out (which it will be if I do the race in Disney). I know it won't be pitch dark because we will be in the theme park but still...
I also noticed that I have shin splints :( I could feel them right when I started. Oddly enough I was able to "run through them" and they didn't hurt as bad, but I also noticed my ankles are weak. Can't a girl catch a break :upsidedow
So a few things I need to do:
Drink more water
Stretch more
Buy new shoes

We'll see how tonight goes!

Karabee ...
May I suggest ...

drink when you're thirsty. There's no real need to "load up" on fluids. You can overdo it. As your body gets acclimated to running, you'll find that you'll be drinking less. Honest. I will take some water or powerade with me if I'm running 10 miles or more, and if it's hot/humid, 8+ miles. Less than that, hardly ever.

stretch AFTER you run/walk. This is somewhat controversial but some research has shown that stretching "cold" muscles before a run can do more harm than good.

definitely try to get to a running shoe store & get properly fitted. At least for your first pair or two. They should be able to tell you if you're over or under pronating, etc. and suggest several different brands that can help you out. The "cute" pair of running shoes may not necessarily be the best ones for you!! However, once you get hooked on running, you'll find those "cute" shoes that really match your style & running needs.

maybe eat a banana (half/whole, your choice) shortly before heading out. This may help with the shin splints.

and DARK chocolate can be your running friend. :thumbsup2

Enjoy your training ... have fun!!

Woot woot! You go, girl! Are you doing the Couch-to-5K? I'm on Week Three so far. Shoe-shopping is one of my weaknesses.

I believe we can both do this. No need to push the body too hard now. I think the key is consistency. We just have to make sure we do this three times per week. It will be magical!

Karabee ...
May I suggest ...

drink when you're thirsty. There's no real need to "load up" on fluids. You can overdo it. As your body gets acclimated to running, you'll find that you'll be drinking less. Honest. I will take some water or powerade with me if I'm running 10 miles or more, and if it's hot/humid, 8+ miles. Less than that, hardly ever.

stretch AFTER you run/walk. This is somewhat controversial but some research has shown that stretching "cold" muscles before a run can do more harm than good.

definitely try to get to a running shoe store & get properly fitted. At least for your first pair or two. They should be able to tell you if you're over or under pronating, etc. and suggest several different brands that can help you out. The "cute" pair of running shoes may not necessarily be the best ones for you!! However, once you get hooked on running, you'll find those "cute" shoes that really match your style & running needs.

maybe eat a banana (half/whole, your choice) shortly before heading out. This may help with the shin splints.

and DARK chocolate can be your running friend. :thumbsup2

Enjoy your training ... have fun!!

Thank you for the advice!! I basically could go through the day drinking 2 glasses of water and be fine, so I am trying to up it a tad but good to know I don't have to force myself too much!

Also, why the dark chocolate? Anything to eat that would be a nice excuse ;)

Woot woot! You go, girl! Are you doing the Couch-to-5K? I'm on Week Three so far. Shoe-shopping is one of my weaknesses.

I believe we can both do this. No need to push the body too hard now. I think the key is consistency. We just have to make sure we do this three times per week. It will be magical!

Thank you!! Good luck with your training as well! I am doing Couch to 5k - although I think instead of 8 weeks my body might need 16 weeks! Regardless, I've been able to get my butt up and running/walking 3 times a week so I know I can do it! Keep me updated on how you are doing!! :goodvibes

Karabee, I could have written your original post myself~ I can truly relate!
Even when I was active and fit (thin too) I hated running. Hated. Did I say hate? Lol. :goodvibes
Well through a long series of events, I won't go into the boring details,
I too started out with 5Ks, with walk/run intervals. Now, not only can I run a 5K, DH and I are doing the ToT 10 Miler coming up and I'm training for the WDW 1/2 in January. Let me tell you, Disney races are so much fun and motivating!
You can do it! Keep going on your plan, even when sometimes you feel like it's not doing anything, not making progress (you'll hit those times), you are! Just keep going, doing what you're doing! One day you'll be amazed at where you are.
adkkev had some great advice for you, and writing your story on here is awesome for you to share it with others, but even more importantly for yourself.
DS17 and I did the Expedition Everest Challenge last May and it was SO much fun! We had a blast! You'll definitely think all your training is worth it when you finish with all the fun you'll have. And a little fyi, there actually were some pretty dark spots on the course. Enough to see where you're going, but dark nonetheless! Definitely something to look forward to!
Best wishes continuing with your training!

So I never got running the other day, which is when I wanted to in order to space it out a bit, but I went this morning. It was a beautiful morning, the humidity hadn't set in and there was a nice breeze so it was overall a very nice run/walk. I allowed my DBF to come with me - he tends to always want to push it to the next level :sad2: So I said, if you want to keep running, or want to run longer, go ahead, but know that I'm sticking to my plan! Overall he was pretty good :rolleyes: and I kept my pace.

I do think that I'm going repeat Week 2 though. Is that bad? I just cannot imagine only doing this routine once more and then moving on to Week 3. I'm just afraid that I might be setting myself back, but if my body isn't ready, than it's not ready, right? :confused3

Tomorrow morning I'll complete the 3rd day for Week 2 and decide, but I have a feeling I'll be talking about Part 2 of Week 2 next week :rolleyes1

Also, I found 2 places in my area where they review how you walk and find the best shoes for you. I really don't want to spend alot on a pair of sneakers, but I do know I have flat feet and it's effecting my knees, so I should really make sure I take that seriously.

Minniebeth - Thank you!!! That was such a nice message :grouphug: I really am looking forward to crossing that line at the end of the race and knowing I was able to complete something I set forth to do. I am so, so excited to do the EE 5K!
Would you mind me asking if you recall when they came out with the hotels for that race? The ones that will have transportation to and from the race? I assume AKL will always be on the last but not sure if the others are the same each year.
I love hearing that other people thought they could never run and now they are training for something even bigger than a 5K - makes know know I CAN do it! Good luck on your ToT 10K and on your training for the Half Marathon!! :woohoo:

So on Monday I technically completed the last day of Week 2. However, I decided to continue that through this week also. Next week I will move on to Week 3. I just don't feel my body is there yet.
In good news though, the weather here is so beautiful, making it so that I'm unable to say, "it's too hot out to run." :) I'm pleased about this as long as it doesn't get cold too soon! I don't think it will though.
I'm also throwing the idea of using the weights in my gym once a week to tone a bit. Hopefully I'm not taking on more than I can chew!

Well, I started Week 2 up and I'm really glad I did. I think it's best for my body. I still need to get new shoes but I just put the hotel for my San Fran trip on the credit card so.... Shoes can wait :)
I will say, I'm feeling really good when I run. I'm still glad to have the walking in between, but I'm feeling the ease of running more than I was. Maybe it's just mental - but I'll take it!

So last Friday night I ran, and dare I say, it actually felt good? I had a really hectic week at work so I started to run and just ran until I couldn't, then walked. Totally not at all on the Couch to 5K plan, but it was just one of those days. I was surprised at how far I could get though. Granted I was pretty winded, but I didn't cramp up nearly as soon as I used to. I think this fall weather makes it slightly easier to run :)
Tonight I'm going to get new shoes. I really need them since I have no arch and my knees are really effected by all this. Hopefully I don't have to spend an arm and a leg! :p

I started C25K at the end of July. I hate running too, but really want to get in better shape. My DD14 started with me, but didn't usually go due to volleyball camp/practice. I only got through week 3 -- I had to repeat it a couple times. I just can't do the long distances without walking (I have asthma & even with the inhaler anything over 6 min was killing me). I have since switched to the galloway plan and started on a 1:1 ratio (1 min walk/1 min run).....I just completed my first 5K yesterday and did a 2/1 ratio and something 3/1.....It was an amazing feeling to finish in less than 40 minutes!!! My DD & I are signed up for the Royal Family 5k in February, but want to get a couple more under our belts before we go, so I have been looking online for some races nearby.

This is just my longwinded way of saying "You can do it" -- even if you have to redo weeks, etc. Don't let it get you down...do whatever works best for you :)

I started C25K at the end of July. I hate running too, but really want to get in better shape. My DD14 started with me, but didn't usually go due to volleyball camp/practice. I only got through week 3 -- I had to repeat it a couple times. I just can't do the long distances without walking (I have asthma & even with the inhaler anything over 6 min was killing me). I have since switched to the galloway plan and started on a 1:1 ratio (1 min walk/1 min run).....I just completed my first 5K yesterday and did a 2/1 ratio and something 3/1.....It was an amazing feeling to finish in less than 40 minutes!!! My DD & I are signed up for the Royal Family 5k in February, but want to get a couple more under our belts before we go, so I have been looking online for some races nearby.

This is just my longwinded way of saying "You can do it" -- even if you have to redo weeks, etc. Don't let it get you down...do whatever works best for you :)

Thank you!! :goodvibes it's really encouraging to hear about other people and their ability to start of barely running and now running 5Ks - or more! I'm really excited about this. I just keep thinking "you can do it!" :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter