Working in a little walking for a just turned 2 year old

Megara5115

DIS Veteran
Hello! We will be going down in a coiple of weeks with my son who turned two in March. We will mainly rely on the stroller and I am also bringing the toddler back carrier for back up but I am curious if anyone has any feedback about where/when are good opportunities to let him get out and stretch his legs? He is always on the go so I know he won't be content cooped up in the stroller all day, he is also very good at hand holding and we have been practicing taking walks like that but he is still so little I am not sure how sucessful that will be at Disney. Thank you for sharing any tips or experiences!

We took our son at 18 months last year. He loved the play area under the train station near Splash Mountain. In fact, his sole meltdown of the whole trip came when we tried to pry him away from there. Before park open, we hung in the back of the hub area near first aid where it wasn’t very crowded. Good thing...my son tripped and fell and skinned his knee. In my infinite wisdom, I packed no band aids. My husband ran into first aid to get some!

At Epcot, he liked the Chevy showroom at the Test Track exit.

We didn’t visit DHS.

I don’t recall him wandering around at AK too much. The safari ride is long, we did a Tusker House lunch, saw the Lion King show, and left pretty early. So he spent a lot of time out of the stroller. But the walking paths in Asia and Africa would be good choices, I think.

I’m interested in what others have to say as well...my son will be almost 3 when we go back and will be wanting to spend more time out of the stroller, I think.

The play area after the Figment ride in Epcot is fabulous for letting little ones let off some steam. It's indoors, rarely has many people, and had several interactive activities. DS loved the light up carpets. We also occasionally encountered some areas by the WS lake that were relatively empty and allowed him to move around and watch the ducks. There's also a play area after Spaceship Earth.

In MK, if they are still doing the Tomorrowland Dance Parties, they're a great way for little ones to expend some energy dancing. The play area near Splash was also a hit, as was Tom Sawyer Island. The Dumbo queue play area would probably be great too. Somehow we completely missed the ride and play area on our trip.

In HS, DS was able to run around a little and watch the ducks near Echo Lake, but that was about it. I miss the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground.

In Animal Kingdom, any of the animal trails are great for letting the kiddos out, as is the Conservation Station and petting zoo area. Overall, AK did seem to have the most opportunities and least crowded spaces to let toddlers run around a bit.

Dumbos circus tent,splash mountain play area (laughing place), Pooh’s garden, at Epcot the play area near mission space, the garden in England with the hedge maze, in the temple in china, and the boneyard in AK

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter