Wooden letters/words for walls ???

SplshMtn99

<font color=blue>She talks to me in pretty <font c
I'm looking for CHEAP places to buy letters for walls. OR alternative methods for less $.

I had thought of cutting letters out of paper & xyroning them to wall, but I read the xyron adhesive will damage the paint. I don't want to wallpaper paste the letters since we just removed a wallpaper border & I SWORE I will never wallpaper again. (lots of cursing involved with removing wallpaper). Any other TEMPORARY alternatives to sticking paper to wall?

I also thought of cutting the letters from paper, & putting them in a frame, & just hanging that. ( I have a large assortment of left over frames.)

I tend to re-decorate / re-arrange alot & tired of patching nail holes too I think.

Any ideas? I quit my job recently & have "guilt" anytime I spend $ lately. Well, at least any time DH knows about it. hehehe The guilt is self-imposed. He's been GREAT & very supportive. :love:

I saw some FOAM ones at Walmart last week....... They look just like wood & they were .89 cents!!! I actually bought some for my dd's room that say " I LOVE SKATING" They come in a bunch of different colors....white, sea blue, pink, green...& a few others.

Hmmmmm, I think I can get over the guilt of 89 cents. I'll have to check it out. In the craft dept I imagine?

I made altered letters for my daughter's room -- I got them at Michael's on sale -- I think they were 99 cents each. I modpodged chatterbox paper over them (base is white acrylic paint).

You could also xyron to chipboard and cut that out... and then adhere to wall with that poster putty stuff that is not supposed to leave a mark. Command adhesive is good too.

altlet.jpg

I was going to suggest cutting them from fun foam and then adhere them with blue tack.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if I don't like the fonts or sizes when I check out the above ones.

And I've learned of some new adhesives here too. :thumbsup2 Love this place.

bubbasmom99 said:
I made altered letters for my daughter's room -- I got them at Michael's on sale -- I think they were 99 cents each. I modpodged chatterbox paper over them (base is white acrylic paint).

You could also xyron to chipboard and cut that out... and then adhere to wall with that poster putty stuff that is not supposed to leave a mark. Command adhesive is good too.

altlet.jpg

How beautiful! How did you get the paper the exact size? I love that.

I have the same letters, from walmart, .97 each and I just painted them to match DS's room. A friend did the same for her daughter and painted them with glittery paint and hung them with pretty ribbon. But walmart always has them for aroudn $1.

I just saw some in an Oriental Traiding scrapbooking catalog but I can't remember how much they cost. You could probably find it on their website - try googling their name.

christinadei said:
How beautiful! How did you get the paper the exact size? I love that.

I have the same letters, from walmart, .97 each and I just painted them to match DS's room. A friend did the same for her daughter and painted them with glittery paint and hung them with pretty ribbon. But walmart always has them for aroudn $1.

Here are the steps:
1 - paint base with acrylic paint
2 - cut patterned paper in rectangle to cover letter
3 - apply mod podge to back of paper and lay flat over letter
4 - use rubber brayer to smooth paper, pressing out wrinkles and adhering firmly
5 - let dry slightly
6 - with a sharp (NEW) xacto knife, slide blade around the edge of the letter. It should glide through fairly easily but you MUST use a new sharp blade. I actually went through 2 blades doing these letters (you can, of course, still use the blades for other things, but the newness of the blade guarantees that the cut will be easy and not tear the paper).

After that, double check that the paper hasn't pulled up at the edge (and if so, just dab a little more mod podge underneath and press).

You can also distress the edges with sandpaper and or ink, depending on the look you're looking for.

Joy, those altered letters are adorable! You did a great job! Thanks, too, for the directions.

I am in the process of altering two small photo frames that I bought on sale at ACMoore. I am learning about exacto knives & mod podge.

bubbasmom99 said:

altlet.jpg
Oh, what a great idea! I have white letters that I did for my dd's room when she was a baby, this is a great way to update them to go with a big girl room!

:thumbsup2 I have also seen these in my Jeffery Alans store but they were 2.00 each. I love this project idea, I'll have to check to see if dd12 has anymore wall space...... :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1 :crazy:

The baby department at Wal-Mart has wood letters that are very inexpensive as well. It seems like they were $2 each or something like that.

When my son was born, I wanted to spell his name in the nursery colors to hang on the bedroom closet. I was VERY poor at the time and improvised a lot. I printed out block letters in the size I wanted to make a pattern. Then I cut out two of each letter from felt, different sizes and colors to make a "matted" effect. Then I glued all of that to pieces of plastic canvas cut to size. The canvas is sturdy enough to hang anywhere, cheap and very light. Not a brilliant idea, but it worked for me. :goodvibes

:banana: I picked up the foam letters at wal-mart and put them in dd12's easter basket, they had white and the the bright green color left so that will match the color of green in her tinkerbell curtains! I think I paid .99 each!

Aimeedyan said:
Have you checked out www.wonderfulgraffiti.com?

You can do anything custom you want, fairly affordable, and easy to apply.

Should've known that I'd find you here.

Thanks, I will check this site out. Although, I'm not exactly sure what I want, I want so much stuff. :sad2:

I have wanted to decorate some wooden letters for my soon to be Disney/spare/scraproom. But I don't know of a good word to use.

What word should I use? I do LOVE Tink so that would do.

????????????

Hi again. Just so happened that I got a e-mail from Michaels yesterday.They were showing how to make and decorate large letters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!