Wondering about ECV use...

ksy8384

Mouseketeer
Hi. We are going to WDW June 6-12, not long now. I have respiratory as well as digestive issues along with type 1 diabetes. My DR has suggested that renting an ECV would probably make our trip easier as I have stamina and heat realated problems because of all of this. I am a bit apprehensive as I don't want this to make our trip harder on us. By that I mean manuvering in the crowds etc and have it slow us down. I don't usually use a wheelchair so it's hard for me to admit this "need" to myself. Do any of you face this? Any advice or words of encouragement? How hard is it to get around with the ECV?

Thanks.
Kalen

BTW it will be me, DH, DS 8yo and DD 6yo.

Originally posted by ksy8384
Hi. We are going to WDW June 6-12, not long now. I have respiratory as well as digestive issues along with type 1 diabetes. My DR has suggested that renting an ECV would probably make our trip easier as I have stamina and heat realated problems because of all of this. I am a bit apprehensive as I don't want this to make our trip harder on us. By that I mean manuvering in the crowds etc and have it slow us down. I don't usually use a wheelchair so it's hard for me to admit this "need" to myself. Do any of you face this? Any advice or words of encouragement? How hard is it to get around with the ECV?

Thanks.
Kalen

BTW it will be me, DH, DS 8yo and DD 6yo.

Go to walmart or the grocery store and learn to use the ECV. you will slow down your group and make it harder on them by NOT getting and ecv. I suggest you rent off site to be delivered for your stay to your hotel. It is much better than renting in the park and the ecv is smaller and easier to use.
You do have to be observant while driving as the other people pay no attention to where they are going and will walk in front of you etc. but it does not take long to become accustom to riding it and manuvering.

If you rent an ECV, then you will make the family vacation much more enjoyable for you & the others in your group! It will not slow the group down. I would go with your doctor's suggestion & rent an ECV. Yes, it is hard to admit that you have a need for one, but once you rent the ECV, you will not think twice about using an ECV again.

I have a knee condition & read this bb for several weeks. It gave me the confidence & knowledge to get a permanent handicapped parking permit, to rent an ECV while on vacation, etc.

I rent an ECV while on vacation at WDW. I would definitely rent an ECV from an off site supplier. I have only rented from Walker & plan to do so again soon. I started using an ECV at WDW by renting one at each park. I rented from Disney for about four trips & learned over time that renting from Disney presented a few "issues:"

*no guarantee the park will have an ECV regardless of time of day; I was at EPCOT Mother's Day 2002 a half hour after the park opened & no ECVs available at either entrance; another time I entered the Studios in the early afternoon on a weekeday in early December & no ECVs available;

*if you want to park hop there is no guarantee of an ECV at the second park;

*four wheels on a Disney ECV vs. three on off site one (at least the ones I have rented from Walker); three wheels gave me a better turning radius;

*battery holds up a whole lot better on the rented ECV vs. the Disney one; I can tell you where in each of the four parks where my Disney ECV "died;"

*if you rent an ECV you will have it every where you want it - the parks, Downtown Disney, other resorts, etc.

As I mentioned I have rented from Walker Mobility. My experiences have been very good. The ECV has been delivered in a timely manner; the battery has lasted all day & night; the cost is similar to Disney & I have the ECV more than just in the parks; etc. Walker provides a battery charger that I use at night.

I used the busses to the parks. Initially I was hesitant, but the bus drivers were so friendly & very helpful. The bus driver closes the front door of the bus & lets the guest with the ECV on through the back door with a ramp. There are two types of busses. Once you & the ECV are loaded & secure, then other guests are allowed to board the bus.

Have fun & enjoy your trip!!

Hubby uses an ECV around WDW and believe me, we have a hard time keeping up with him!!!!

It absolutely does not slow the group down!

Carol

My FIL used an ecv (finally) on the last day of our trip in March. For the first time in years, he was actually able to keep up with the rest of the group. And, even more important, he didn't end the day totally tired out and in pain. After only about 15 minutes using it, he said it was the best decision he had ever made and that he wished he had rented one years ago.
The rest of us are not exactly power-tourers (we are traveling with my DD, who uses a wheelchair).
If you are renting from one of the off-site companies, drive around the resort enough to get comfortable before venturing out in the parks. I'd suggest saving MK until you have gone to one of the other parks. MK is the busiest and most congested. Epcot is probably the best park for becoming a confident driver because all the walkways are wide and it is much less congested.
have a great trip.

I just want to add my endorsement for renting an ECV off -site. I've rented an EVC and have gone all day from Early Magic Hour to Illuminations. It was great to be able to not worry about the legs giving out. You got some great advice. Hope you have a great trip.

I have rented an ECV the last several trips we have taken. Here are my words of advice..

Do it! If you think you might need it, you will. Sitting and resting all the time will slow down the rest of the crew.

Once you have it..

Don't stop all of a sudden. My daughter was walking right behind me once and almost flipped over the seat. We laugh about it now!:D

Try to avoid moving during very crowded times such as right before or after a parade. On our last trip, I ran into the back of a woman because she stopped suddenly. I said I was sorry over and over, but all she would do is glare at me.

The things don't stop fast like a bike!:D

Don't take it in a store if you can help it. I caught the edge of mine on a jewelry rack and pulled it all the way over! Little earrings alllll over the floor.. was I embarressed!:blush:

In 5 trips with an ECV, these are the only mishaps I have had. All the CMs are very nice and help you park, get thru doorways, things like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter