Wonderful Winter Vacation! Disney Wonder - February 11-18 2018

Pirate Day! Docked in Cozumel, Mexico

On this day we decided to wake up super early to catch the sunrise and watch the ship pull into the port. Was a really fun hour or so that we were outside for this :) Beautiful!

IMG_3445.JPG

Soon as it was open we headed to Cabanas. Got a Mickey waffle (I had them every day but didn't always take photos), a piece of banana bread french toast, some cantaloupe, and some watermelon. There may have also been a second plate with a cinnamon sugar muffin. I really liked the muffins and pastries onboard!

IMG_3449.JPG

Another port day meant another day of us relaxing an enjoying the ship to ourselves :) I headed to the Promenade Lounge in the afternoon and got the Drink of the Day - the Sunken Treasure. YUM! This was the opposite of the Yellow Bird from a few nights back. I must say though, DCL drinks are STRONG and I do not drink a lot. Next cruise I would stick to the non-alcoholic Drink of the Day :) They always had tortilla chips, salsa, and sour cream available for snack around 4pm or so in this lounge. Perfect snack for me and my chip loving husband :love:

IMG_3480.JPG

Today's craft was 3D Mickey and Minnie Pirate Crafts! So cute. So much cutting involved on these shapes. Sadly none of these guys made the trip home very well.

IMG_3481 (1).JPG

Pirate Night Dinner @ Tiana's Place

IMG_3484.JPG

We were suckers and did purchase the special light up glasses :) Sadly the dinner this evening felt really rushed. They specifically said they knew we would want to be up on Deck 9 & 10 ASAP for the Pirate party. Well, we weren't really crazy about that but did love all the Pirate Mickey stuff! We had other plans for this evening... but more on those later!

IMG_3485.JPG

I chose the samosa for my appetizer. It was delicious. I saw other people get 2 for their portion. Sadly I only got one. My husband got the crab cake and loved it.

IMG_3486.JPG

The bread basket tonight was a mix of Cuban rolls and cornbread. I LOVE cornbread and it's not really a thing here in Canada. I always love to get it when I can. I ordered the carrot ginger soup with banana bread croutons. It was odd. Would go for something else next time. I don't think my husband got anything for this course.

IMG_3489.JPG

Main course time - was really delicious this evening! My husband and I both got the strip loin with buttered cabbage, roasted potatoes, and yorkshire pudding. YUM. The sauce with this one was amazing. 100% recommend. However next time I might get the pasta dish which looked so good too. Or both :)

IMG_3492.JPG

Dessert tonight was a no brainer for me, as I didn't like most of the options which had chocolate. My husband and I both got the caramel and macadamia nut cheesecake. This was great! :) However I kid you not from sitting down at 8:15 to taking this photo of our dessert it was only 1 hour. It was a really rushed meal! Next time I would just tell our servers that we aren't really in a rush for the Pirate party and just take our time.

IMG_3495.JPG

The real reason we didn't care about the Pirate party...

It was the PremEAR at Sea for Black Panther!!! :smickey:

They had announced only that morning that they would be showing it. My husband was so excited and we had been excited for months when we realized we would get to see this at sea! It was going to be showing at 10:45 in the Walt Disney Theatre as well as in the Buena Vista Theatre, and they advise doors would be open 30 mins before the movie started.

IMG_3498.JPG

My husband made a beeline to the Walt Disney theatre as soon as he finished his last bite of dessert. I waited for the bill from the Pirate glasses, brought them back to the room, brought my husband a book to read while he waited in line for us, and then went up to Deck 9 to check out the Pirate party.

It was pretty corny. Part of me wanted to wait for the fireworks there but I was already feeling really tired so I headed down to the theatre to meet up with my husband and wait for the movie to start. :)

IMG_3500.JPG

What a mistake for us to wake up early that morning! I have a really bad problem where if I'm really sleepy and watching a movie I just cannot stay awake. Even if I just drank a coffee. I was full on nodding off during the movie and after catching myself doing this a few times and missing the movie, I leaned over to my wide awake husband and said I'd head back to the room. I felt really bad not being able to stay up!

I went to bed and saw the movie the next day, at 2pm. No risk of falling asleep. It was REALLY good! We love all the Marvel movies but this one really had some interesting stuff beyond the usual :)

Day @ Sea # 2

Another session of Anyone Can Cook! This time it was the pastry chef for the ship. He made apple strudel. I would bet that this is the exact same recipe as the strudle I had in Triton's for lunch a few days before. It was a fun class and I really enjoyed these. :)

IMG_3505.JPG

Later on I went and sat by the Goofy pool and Tangled was on again. I grabbed lunch - chicken strips - SO GOOD - from Pete's Boiler Bites. Had these almost every day. The sauce in the white container was chipotle mayo. It was really good with the fries. I LOVE DISNEY CHICKEN TENDERS & FRIES!

A side note here - we brought our WDW drink mugs from our honeymoon with us. I would not do this again. I probably used mine 5 times. Husband used his once. I found the drink cups onboard were big enough and it was so easy to go back up if you wanted another cup. I feel like it took 10 minutes to get anywhere you needed to get on the ship. :)

IMG_3508.JPG

Dinner # 2 @ Triton's

This dinner was really good. Husband and I both got the stuffed eggplant parmesan. Wow was this good.

IMG_3509.JPG

We split the proscuitto appetizer - really good!

IMG_3510.JPG

Well for this meal I guess we ordered the same items for each course, except dessert! We both got the oxtail soup with garlic cheese tortellini. This had a strong flavour I couldn't place. If anyone knows what it is please let me know! Some sort of alcohol in it perhaps?

IMG_3512.JPG

Main course tonight was the parmesan crusted chicken with fettuccine in a cheddar cream sauce. This was really good!

IMG_3513.JPG

Husband got the molten chocolate cake and I got the raspberry vanilla creme brulee. It was pretty good but not my favourite dessert of the week. The sugar wasn't quite hard.

IMG_3515.JPG

Last Day :(, but Castway Cay :)

A light breakfast today! Well I probably had a round of Mickey waffles with whipped cream first. :lovestruc Fruit, cinnamon sugar muffin, coffee, water.

IMG_3520.JPG

Was a lovely day on the island! This was the only day we got off the ship so it was really fun to go explore. And it was so sunny - we both got sunburnt this day!

Really loved the scenery. Disney does the best job at theming.

IMG_3530 (1).JPG

Beautiful sights everywhere on this island. We had a great day and hung out mostly at Serenity Bay. We had lunch there too but I didn't take any photos. Ribs, ribeye steak, soft serve :) We went on a hike thinking we would get to the observation tower but somehow never found that!

IMG_3554.JPG

We made sure to get back to the ship in time to change, shower the sand off, and get back to Deck 10 aft for sail away. The photo below is the length of the whole island! What a beautiful day :rose:

IMG_3556.JPG

Last early dinner of the trip - our beloved chicken tenders! Husband and I ate these while reflecting on a lovely trip and a perfect day. :love2:

IMG_3559.JPG

Dinner # 2 @ Animator's Palate

Last night dinner :(

Great place to have it though!

IMG_3562.JPG

I will miss these butter knives until we meet again!

IMG_3577.JPG

Unfortunately this night there was no appetizer choice. It was the same sampler platter for everyone. I was not a fan of the cold marinated shrimp or the cold smoked salmon tartar. That left me with the smoked duck breast which I thought was pretty good - even though I don't really like duck. I helped myself to the bread basket :)

IMG_3578.JPG

We actually never got the soup course - it was only one item for everyone - meatball, spaghetti, and tomato soup. I was really disappointed that our server missed us on this course but didn't want to bring it up and complain. So instead I will complain here. :(

Needless to say I was really excited for the main course to arrive. Beef Wellington. THIS WAS GREAT!

IMG_3580.JPG

There were 3 dessert options but 2 were chocolaty - so I went with the strawberry celebration cake! This was really amazing. Better than I thought it would be.

IMG_3582.JPG

The special show on this night made me cry. It was just so beautiful. What a wonderful week we had aboard the Disney Wonder. I can't wait to go on another Disney Cruise some day! :lovestruc:smickey:

IMG_3593.JPG

Thanks for sharing. We will be on Magic in October to Bermuda.

I can understand staying on the ship, but I love Key West! Fun place just to walk around for an hour or so.

Day @ Sea # 1 - Anyone Can Cook

There were only 2 planned sessions of Anyone Can Cook on our cruise. I really enjoyed these and wish they were every day! The executive chef of Tiana's Place showed us how to make lobster ravioli. It was quite good. :)

View attachment 304488
This is so cool! Do you need to reserve and /or pay for the Anyone Can Cook Sessions?

Thanks for sharing your trip! :lovestruc The Wonder is our favorite ship - so glad that you had a great time!

This is so cool! Do you need to reserve and /or pay for the Anyone Can Cook Sessions?

No reservation or payment, just show up, you also get a small glass of wine. I love going to the Anyone can Cook. We had 3 on our Wonder cruise last month, same dishes that you had plus a mushroom risotto. I'm not a fan of mushrooms, but it was so good, probably the best thing I had eaten all week! Sometimes instead of doing the lobster dish they do a sea bass dish. I'm hoping they do the sea bass when we sail on the Fantasy again next year, of course I'll go to it no matter what they cook!

My and I also had the oxtail soup, I don't know what was in it, but I really liked it. Too bad you didn't get the tomato and meatball soup at AP. I really like it, I always think it tastes a lot like spaghetti-0s. Thinking about all the yummy food is making me hungry now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter