WOC-Season of Light OR Believe in Holiday Magic Fireworks

run.minnie.miles

DIS Veteran
We will be visiting DLR for a day (maybe 2 depending on travel schedule) in November for the first time.

If you had to pick between the 2 (and have never seen either), which would you chose and why? Thanks!

For me, I would go with Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks. I love Disney fireworks shows, and Believe is a good show and seems very Christmas-y to me. It's not a Disney-centric show (no Disney music), but lots of familiar Christmas music, choreographed to fireworks. Plus it snows at the end and I like the way the castle looks.

(Disclaimer: I'm more of a fireworks person than mist screens and water canons and I don't like the WoC viewing area - I almost always have had problems finding a place where I have a decent view of the show because I'm on the shorter side.)

I second the fireworks. I do WOC each trip, but while I enjoy it, it’s not awe inspiring for me. However, the fireworks do tend to feel more Disney and holiday for me. Both are good I just think the fireworks wins out a little.

I haven't actually seen them, but I would say do the Holiday Magic fireworks. Season of Light is my least favorite of the three versions of WoC I have seen.

If you haven't been to DLR before, I would personally choose WOC since it's uniquely DL. If you're used to going to WDW, seeing the fireworks over the much smaller castle might seem a little underwhelming.

If the schedule allows though and you're only there one day, definitely try to do both.

Seasons of Light WOC is awesome! Plus, it’s much, much less likely to get cancelled last minute like the fireworks. I think you should try to do WOC!

Double check the schedule when it comes out you may be able to do both. They may have 2 showings of seasons of light and you can hop between the parks.

On the day we're going, the current schedule is WOC at 8:15pm and fireworks at 8:45pm... as much as I'd like to, I don't think we can do both! If end up watching WOC, we will head back to Disneyland after as that park stays open until 10pm.

If you haven't been to DLR before, I would personally choose WOC since it's uniquely DL. If you're used to going to WDW, seeing the fireworks over the much smaller castle might seem a little underwhelming.

If the schedule allows though and you're only there one day, definitely try to do both.

I was trying to not make it painfully obvious that I'm a WDW vet... so many posts start out with "I'm used to going to wdw and this is my 1st time to dlr... " ;) This is a hard choice!

On the day we're going, the current schedule is WOC at 8:15pm and fireworks at 8:45pm... as much as I'd like to, I don't think we can do both! If end up watching WOC, we will head back to Disneyland after as that park stays open until 10pm.

I was trying to not make it painfully obvious that I'm a WDW vet... so many posts start out with "I'm used to going to wdw and this is my 1st time to dlr... " ;) This is a hard choice!
Then given that information, I would go for WOC (and I always err on the side of a good fireworks show!). But do the uniquely DLR experience if you can't do both.

Just make sure you see the castle lights on at some point. If there's a lighting ceremony, be sure to catch that.

Then given that information, I would go for WOC (and I always err on the side of a good fireworks show!). But do the uniquely DLR experience if you can't do both.

Just make sure you see the castle lights on at some point. If there's a lighting ceremony, be sure to catch that.

Thanks! I also love fireworks, but WOC is currently in the lead!
I LOVE a good castle and am SO excited to see it (and the rest of the park) decorated for Christmas!

Thanks! I also love fireworks, but WOC is currently in the lead!
If you do opt for WoC, I would make sure you do as much research as possible about how to get a good view (maybe start with the WoC Superthread). As I mentioned, the viewing area is not well designed. The water surface is below most of the terraced viewing area, so you need to be able to look at a downward angle. If you end up behind someone taller than you, you'll miss out on some/all of the elements that are on the water surface (which I'd say is about a third of the show). The first time I saw WoC, it was from behind someone taller than me and I thought the show was "meh" because it's just a bunch of mist screen projections and water cannons, but when I was able to see the water surface the next time, the show improved (I still think fireworks are better, but WoC didn't seem like such a waste of time anymore). If you can, I would look into the WoC Dessert Party because that's supposed to have a pretty much guaranteed good view of the show.

If you do opt for WoC, I would make sure you do as much research as possible about how to get a good view (maybe start with the WoC Superthread). As I mentioned, the viewing area is not well designed. The water surface is below most of the terraced viewing area, so you need to be able to look at a downward angle. If you end up behind someone taller than you, you'll miss out on some/all of the elements that are on the water surface (which I'd say is about a third of the show). The first time I saw WoC, it was from behind someone taller than me and I thought the show was "meh" because it's just a bunch of mist screen projections and water cannons, but when I was able to see the water surface the next time, the show improved (I still think fireworks are better, but WoC didn't seem like such a waste of time anymore). If you can, I would look into the WoC Dessert Party because that's supposed to have a pretty much guaranteed good view of the show.

Thank you for this advice- it can be really frustrating to not be able to see. My DH is 6'3, so he can be one of those people that is difficult to see around.
Do you know approximately how long it takes to get from DCA to DL after WOC?

Assuming you're going to stay for the entire show and the finale, then I'd allow about 15-20 minutes. It's not that long a walk, but the crowds are usually pretty tightly packed and don't move that quickly.

I vote for WoC, though I've never seen season of light specifically. I've never been a huge fireworks person, and I've rarely been able to get a good view of them.
If you can, I would look into the WoC Dessert Party because that's supposed to have a pretty much guaranteed good view of the show.
I did not have a view of the water surface when I did the dessert party, and honestly it was disappointing. The first time I saw WoC it was from front row in the wet zone, and the view from the dessert party pales in comparison. We did have a group of tall men sitting at the table in front of us, so you might have better luck. I think the dessert party question comes down to whether you have more money or time to spare. You can get just as good a view (better IMO) by getting there sufficiently early to secure a spot, but if you can't spare the time to get there early then you're almost guaranteed a bad view. The dessert party is pricey but it secures you at least an adequate view regardless of how early you get there.

I would do WOC dessert party and then catch some of the fireworks from the esplande on your way back to DL.

I did see the holiday WOC last year and thought it was amazing. I've only ever watched the show from the dessert party.

I vote for WoC, though I've never seen season of light specifically. I've never been a huge fireworks person, and I've rarely been able to get a good view of them.

Not being able to see is a concern for me- I love a good night show, but am not sure how long I'm willing to wait to get a good view.

Not being able to see is a concern for me- I love a good night show, but am not sure how long I'm willing to wait to get a good view.
It is for me too, because I'm short. Getting a good view to either show is tricky, but for me personally, the only time I've had a decent view of fireworks was dumb luck - it's too much of a gamble for me to bother investing much time in it (especially since they are often cancelled due to wind). WoC takes some planning and time to get a good view, but I know from experience that a good view can be had, which is one of the reasons I prefer it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!