With Galaxy's Edge coming... what will happen to Star Tours?

KatsMeow715

Earning My Ears
I don't know what made me think of this, but with all the talk about Galaxy's Edge I just assumed Star Tours would be toward the end of this new "land" and blend together. After looking at construction updates and the Grand Avenue annoucement coming into play, what will happen to Star Tours? I wouldn't think they would get rid of Star Tours all together with the update it just had to incorporate the newer movies, but would it make sense to have a Star Wars themed ride outside of the Star Wars area. Seeing if anyone else had this thought or has heard anything about the future of Star Tours when Galaxy's Edge is completed.

Last edited:
star tours is still getting updates (there's a new scene based on a mining planet from episode 8 coming soon), so it's not likely they're going to get rid of it. it's considered separate from star wars land, i think, since disneyland is likely going to keep its version that's in tomorrowland, too. which makes sense, since star tours is a travel agency and set in a different time period than star wars land

I'm pretty sure I heard it was going away. I heard a rumor the DLR version might move to DCA as some sort of Marvel attraction. Ugh.

I find all of it to be nutty since SWL will brings buckets of new people into DL and with only 2 new rides, Star Tours would surely be missed.

I would bet on it being rethemed and bet that the retheme is marvel-related. Best guess would be Dr. Strange since a sequel will most likely be coming out in 2020-2021.

sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me tbh. star tours has ties with both parks' histories and has been a consistently popular ride. i don't think they'd take the time to invest in updates and new scenes if they didn't plan on keeping it. my worst case scenario would be that they redo the studios exterior to match the aesthetic of star wars land instead of the current ewok village/tatooine traders set-up

I don't imagine the updates/new scenes are that costly. And honestly, they have no choice but to keep putting money into since they only have about 4 attractions open at the studios right now. Once SWGE is open, it's a goner.

they have to commission industrial light and magic to render the ride film, have anthony daniels reprise C-3PO in addition to any other actors they'd need (such as john boyega as finn), and program the audio-animatronic and the simulator to match the ride film. it's probably a costly process, even if it's a quick one, but they're under no obligation to add those updates, y'know. besides, star tours is a good crowd sink to keep people OUT of star wars land, which is a smart business decision because you know it's going to be congested like crazy if you remember the first time hogsmeade opened up at IoA. it just doesn't really make sense to close it just because it's outside of the dedicated star wars area imo

we'll have to wait and see i guess, but becoming a marvel simulator honestly seems like the least likely conclusion to me. unless it becomes a muppet motion simulator because of its proximity to muppet vision 3D... that's even unlikelier

they have to commission industrial light and magic to render the ride film, have anthony daniels reprise C-3PO in addition to any other actors they'd need (such as john boyega as finn), and program the audio-animatronic and the simulator to match the ride film. it's probably a costly process, even if it's a quick one, but they're under no obligation to add those updates, y'know. besides, star tours is a good crowd sink to keep people OUT of star wars land, which is a smart business decision because you know it's going to be congested like crazy if you remember the first time hogsmeade opened up at IoA. it just doesn't really make sense to close it just because it's outside of the dedicated star wars area imo

we'll have to wait and see i guess, but becoming a marvel simulator honestly seems like the least likely conclusion to me. unless it becomes a muppet motion simulator because of its proximity to muppet vision 3D... that's even unlikelier
It won't become marvel at DHS but is likely to be rethemed. It could very well become marvel at DLR though.

It won't become marvel at DHS but is likely to be rethemed. It could very well become marvel at DLR though.
Do you know exactly which Marvel characters can be used at WDW? I know The Avengers, Spider-man, FF, and X-Men are off limits, but what about Black Panther, Captain Marvel, etc.?

Do you know exactly which Marvel characters can be used at WDW? I know The Avengers, Spider-man, FF, and X-Men are off limits, but what about Black Panther, Captain Marvel, etc.?
Guardians and Doctor Strange can be for sure. Other than that I'm not sure.

I would hate to lose Star Tours at DHS. I'm not sure what to expect from the new Millenium Falcon ride, but it seems like something that would be awkward for a solo (no pun) guest.

Without having to bring an entirely new land/area I could see the overlay being muppets or, dare I, say Indiana Jones. I know the IJ movies are going to be making a comeback whether they are continuation or remakes. I wonder how on Earth they could make a simulation for Indy lol. I could Def see Dr. Strange with the simulator type vehicle but that would again be making HS more of a modge podge mess of a park with all these mini lands. I'm sure there will be more announced about it at a later date, maybe even after toy story land opens and potentially after Runaway Railway opens as well.

I thought that they might reroute the building, kinda like what they are doing with Midway Mania.

I think it will survive until 2021 when they'll bring in the bulldozers and the Soave becomes part of an Indy land

I'm never sure what you mean when you say this. "Rethemed" meaning totally different IP or rethinking the Star Wars overlay?

I will be very sad to lose Star Tours.

My family started going to Disney about 15 years ago and it appears that a new cycle of attraction closures and re-theming is starting. I came to late to see rides like 20k and Horizons come and go but now I'm seeing classics in my own mind come to the end of their lives. It's a little sad in a way, but I suppose I now know what it means to be a longtime parks fan.

The fact remains is that we haven't been told what the new vision of DHS (or new name) will be. We just know they are putting two new immesive lands in the back of the old park, but don't have any ideas what will happen to the front of the park.

Personally, I would think it HAS to go if the goal is to make an "immersive" Star Wars experience at DHS.

The Star Tours façade is MEANT to look like a movie prop/set (as it was in a "movie studio" theme park) (you can see the scaffolding in the back) and the ride isn't "canon" in any way as you dive into every one of the movies over the course of 60 years of the timeline.
The location of Star Tours well outside Galaxy's Edge and outside the Muppet's Courtyard and the new Grand Avenue street that will server as the entrance to the new land also means it just won't fit thematically. Why have a very old and generic Star Wars ride outside of the brand spanking new themed area?

My guess has always been it will stay open until at least Galaxy's Edge is open (or close to opening) and we'll see Star Tours, Jedi Temple, Indiana Jones, the old Sound Stage area, and maybe Echo Lake all torn down (or rethemed) to be made into some other "themed" land. (which would be easy as it is near the edge of the park and easily closed off during construction).

Launch Bay and the whole Animation Courtyard could go and be rethemed as well and replace Little Mermaid, One Man's Dream and Disney Junior. Launch Bay was just a quick fix to give crowds something else to do in a park with few attractions.

The things is they can't really do any of this until the new lands are done or NO ONE would got to DHS. But that means that DHS will continue to have few attractions for many years to come as they continue construction beyond Toy Story and Star Wars lands.

I thought they would take Star Tours and the Jedi temple and put them inside Galaxy's Edge (and retheme Star Tours somehow). Taking a "tour" while in Galaxy's Edge makes sense, except they would have to make the show only focused on Star Wars VII and VIII to fit into the them of the land.

Another thought I had was take a few ride vehicles and make them as the way to "fly" to the (probably attached to Galaxy's Edge) hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!