Wishing to do a 10K, but 5K will do!

kniquy

DIS Veteran
My back story .... I am a DVC owner so when early registration came for the Dark Side marathon weekend for owners I was going back and forth on whether or not I should sign up for the 10K. I felt that if i did I would have been able to motivate and train to get in shape. Well, I pondered the idea until 1pm (registration opened at noon) and by then the early DVC restoration for the 10K was full. I dodged that one and signed up for the 5K.

Probably for the best because with home renovations my treadmill (which was 16 years old) was headed for the dump and there was no space for a new one. I'm still morning that loss and planning on getting one for the basement. So with the loss of my treadmill i was left to running outside. That is all well and good when the weather and daylight cooperate, but when it is 15 degress and dark at 4:30pm. It makes it difficult to get out and run. I work full time, have 3 crazy kids (11, 11 and 3.5) who are demanding and have their needs to be met, so mine get put on the back burner.

As for exercise - With dark and very cold mornings running is just not happening. I have been pretty faithful with a morning exercise video 3-4 days/week (insanity or some sort of Jillian Michael's).

I have not been able to be out and running since November and last night was my first night out. Holy crap am i out of shape!!! I really thought that with doing some intense cardio videos it would help. I only did a 1.29 mile run - 2 laps around my neighborhood which does have a bit of hill. Probably not my best option for the first run. My pace I was happy with a 11 min mile. My goal is to get 10 minutes, but i know the actual 5 K race is more for fun, but i want to at least be able to complete it in a decent time.

So another one of my goals aside from completing the 5K is to lose weight - I know many have that goal. I'm not terribly overweight, but enough to bother me. So at 5ft 3/4 inches my weight today was 139.8#. I have pretty muscular legs so there is no way i would ever get down to 115#, but my personal goal is 125-130#. I think it is reasonable.

I am hopefully going to keep up this log of my running progress and reaching my healthy goals -- certainly having all this chocolate around the house from Valentines day is not helping the temptation.

Well, after being very sore after that first run I took a few days off. I got up an at it this morning - 2.07miles with avg pace 12.20 min/miles. I had my running partner with me (my labradoodle - I tried to link a pic but I can't for some reason :headache:) She definitely helps to keep me going. I felt much better than after the first run where i felt like i was gonna die. Those exercise videos are no match to actually getting out there and running.

57 day until my disney trip! 60 days until my 5K!!!

Good luck on your journey, one DVC owner (OKW is our 'home') to another. Just a word of advice from a long-time runner: Don't worry about pace so much when you're first starting out. You'll want to build endurance first and then you can add in speed later. Plus, sticking with an easy pace now will reduce your injury risk and decrease next-day soreness and the like. Speed will come with time. Happy running and keep us updated!

If you are at 2 miles already, you've totally GOT THIS! It'll get easier and the disney adrenaline will help. Wishing you luck with your training and with posting labra-doodle pictures :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter