Wisdom teeth removal = legal and encouraged child abuse?

My dil is a dental assistant. She and Dd were talking Sunday about sil’s tooth extraction and the pain meds he was prescribed (loritab, I think). Anyway, dil said that they don’t prescribe pain meds normally. As much as possible the dentist tells people to take Tylenol and Motrin because the heavier stuff rarely works on the mouth.

When Dd had her wisdom teeth out she was given loritab and it made her sick so she didn’t take it and did take Tylenol and Motrin. Just out of necessity. I was glad she tried the loritab though because we knew ahead when she got her tonsils out.

I know when I had a root canal done they gave me loritab at the office and then a prescription. Made me sick as a dog and worse off. The next one, I didn’t take anything until I got home and took Motrin. Had no issues at all.
I had to look lortab up because we don't call it that where I am. Anyway, another reason they don't give it out as much as before is - plain and simple - because of the opioid crisis. There are now rules (which probably vary by state) about what can be prescribed, because one of the big causes of opioid abuse, they think, was having a lot of opiods hanging around medicine cabinets that would either get stolen or used inappropriately later on. When DD had her wisdom teeth out a few years back, the oral surgeon explained this to us. I think he gave her two or four oxycodones or something like that, recommended not using them unless the pain was severe, and told her to start taking ibuprofen right away. I believe she used just two oxycodone on the same day as the procedure (and slept), then switched over to motrin, and that was sufficient.

After I had braces for years my wisdom teeth decided to make an entrance. 2 were sideways and I don't remember what the others were doing. So at 14 I was to get all 4 removed.

They did this new thing where they didn't knock you out but gave you a iv of something that makes you forget. Well let's just say it didn't work. I didn't feel any pain but I was aware if every pull and cut. Once they finished I went into the recovery room and waited for my mom. I cried so hard not due to pain but just terror. Medicine always acts weird for me so in hind sight I'm not surprised. But even after all that I feel it was needed. And even though I prolly could have left 2 alone I'm glad they are all gone.

Child abuse... Hah your daughter is funny . Also your son should get them out if they notice them sideways or not going to fit . The amount of pain from moving teeth and infections due to being stubborn is more akin to child abuse.
That was probably versed and fentanyl, which are commonly used for procedures. Many people come out of the wisdom tooth removal procedure (and others) still fairly loopy. (You must have seen some videos online! My own DD was crying and carrying on in the car because she didn't want vanilla ice cream when I said that's what I was going to buy - she wanted "cookie dough", which I could barely understand given her mouth was stuffed with gauze! Lol)

I had to look lortab up because we don't call it that where I am. Anyway, another reason they don't give it out as much as before is - plain and simple - because of the opioid crisis. There are now rules (which probably vary by state) about what can be prescribed, because one of the big causes of opioid abuse, they think, was having a lot of opiods hanging around medicine cabinets that would either get stolen or used inappropriately later on. When DD had her wisdom teeth out a few years back, the oral surgeon explained this to us. I think he gave her two or four oxycodones or something like that, recommended not using them unless the pain was severe, and told her to start taking ibuprofen right away. I believe she used just two oxycodone on the same day as the procedure (and slept), then switched over to motrin, and that was sufficient.

That was probably versed and fentanyl, which are commonly used for procedures. Many people come out of the wisdom tooth removal procedure (and others) still fairly loopy. (You must have seen some videos online! My own DD was crying and carrying on in the car because she didn't want vanilla ice cream when I said that's what I was going to buy - she wanted "cookie dough", which I could barely understand given her mouth was stuffed with gauze! Lol)

Same oral surgery practice that handled extraction for both of my daughters about four years apart completely changed their pain meds prescription protocol in that timeframe because of the opioid crisis. There is a very big push to avoid giving narcotic prescriptions to the teen/early twenties demographic in particular because there has been some indication that things like prescriptions for wisdom teeth extraction have given some a push toward experimentation after experiencing the effects. Dependence often quickly follows.

As far as the anesthesia aftereffects, it's pretty different depending on the person. My oldest was straight up out of her mind and unreasonable, yet determined to tell me all of her complaints -- of which I could understand exactly none. To this day she remembers nothing of post removal, coming home or anything until she woke up a couple hours after coming home. I was incredibly fortunate my husband was working from home the day of surgery because I could not get her out of the car and into the house on my own, despite the fact she was awake. She was absolutely not lucid in any shape or form.

Based on how difficult my younger daughter can be with some medical complications and the experience with my oldest we decided that both of us would be available when the youngest went in for removal. When they called me back to see her in the waiting bay after surgery she was bright eyed and bushy tailed. The staff was not happy when I tracked them down because she was insisting she had to use the restroom and reluctantly said she could do so if I went in with her. She was not happy and grumpily told them she "didn't need her mommy in the bathroom with her".

Same oral surgery practice that handled extraction for both of my daughters about four years apart completely changed their pain meds prescription protocol in that timeframe because of the opioid crisis. There is a very big push to avoid giving narcotic prescriptions to the teen/early twenties demographic in particular because there has been some indication that things like prescriptions for wisdom teeth extraction have given some a push toward experimentation after experiencing the effects. Dependence often quickly follows.

As far as the anesthesia aftereffects, it's pretty different depending on the person. My oldest was straight up out of her mind and unreasonable, yet determined to tell me all of her complaints -- of which I could understand exactly none. To this day she remembers nothing of post removal, coming home or anything until she woke up a couple hours after coming home. I was incredibly fortunate my husband was working from home the day of surgery because I could not get her out of the car and into the house on my own, despite the fact she was awake. She was absolutely not lucid in any shape or form.

Based on how difficult my younger daughter can be with some medical complications and the experience with my oldest we decided that both of us would be available when the youngest went in for removal. When they called me back to see her in the waiting bay after surgery she was bright eyed and bushy tailed. The staff was not happy when I tracked them down because she was insisting she had to use the restroom and reluctantly said she could do so if I went in with her. She was not happy and grumpily told them she "didn't need her mommy in the bathroom with her".
Thanks for mentioning this. I had a Valium drip that didn’t put me out, but I was high as a kite, taking selfies in recovery and waving to people on my ride home (and I was 40). Ds20 (6’1”, 190) is going on Thursday, I hope DH will be around when he’s done. I better let him know.

I don't remember walking myself (as opposed to a wheelchair) to the recovery area. I remember waking up to my mom rubbing my arm (for whatever reason lol). I remember getting in the car but being unable to change the station (my mom said the song was bugging me lol) and I don't remember how I got up to my room when we got home. I do remember taking some medication but my mouth was still numb so the water kinda went everywhere, normally that would be totally embarassing but I was hardly aware of what was going on. I was under anesthesia for about 20 mins total.

I was offered Tylenol 3 (Tylenol with codeine) for recent extractions and declined both times. Total overkill. Took ibuprofen immediately (before novacaine wore off) and then once more before bed that evening, and that was it for "pain" medication. I was a bit sore, but not enough to justify even ibuprofen. I know I'm a bit tougher than most with pain, but seriously, narcotics are just so awful for me. The times I've HAD to take them because of surgical pain, I hated the side effects. Awful

Thanks for mentioning this. I had a Valium drip that didn’t put me out, but I was high as a kite, taking selfies in recovery and waving to people on my ride home (and I was 40). Ds20 (6’1”, 190) is going on Thursday, I hope DH will be around when he’s done. I better let him know.

My daughters are slightly taller than I am, but I outweigh them. I never dreamed I'd have issues with the first one. It didn't seem to be a big deal at the surgery center when they had me pull up to the back door and the assistant and I walked her to the car and we managed to get her in relatively simply. She seemed like she was continuing her complaining all the way home, but I had no idea until I parked and actually attempted to get her out of the car that there was going to be an issue. She wound up being a handful for my husband to get up, out and then up the stairs and in the door. She was not in any form of her right mind at that moment.

I don't remember walking myself (as opposed to a wheelchair) to the recovery area. I remember waking up to my mom rubbing my arm (for whatever reason lol). I remember getting in the car but being unable to change the station (my mom said the song was bugging me lol) and I don't remember how I got up to my room when we got home. I do remember taking some medication but my mouth was still numb so the water kinda went everywhere, normally that would be totally embarassing but I was hardly aware of what was going on. I was under anesthesia for about 20 mins total.

I don't actually know how they get them from surgery to the recovery bay. Not even sure if they have wheelchairs, but I suppose they must.

I had 2 wisdom teeth removed in my late thirties. One started growing in sideways and was pressing on my molar and was the most painful pain I've ever felt in my mouth even more than braces every felt. The other was already grown out but always caught a lot of food back there so got them both out (on the top). I don't have any on the bottom they're not even there on the X-rays. So I went to an oral surgeon and had the IV drip of something and also the gas to breathe in. I didn't feel any change so I told the surgeon am I supposed to be feeling something? I don't feel any different. The teenager in the next room - I could see out the door diagonally was laughing away and acting weird (and all the videos you see online of people acting all high and then not remembering) - I didn't feel any different. I was like why am I not acting like that? So the doc gave me more of the gas. I was awake the whole time since I heard the loud snap of the tooth coming out but didn't feel it. I saw the teeth on the tray. I was totally fine to walk out and on the ride home in the car felt fine and normal. My husband drove and said I was normal. I remember everything even writing the check to pay for it after. I guess it affects everyone different but I felt nothing! And I'm only 120 pounds. I get weird feelings when I take nyquil! So weird!! So I wonder - do they give these kids too much drugs??? They didn't give me any prescriptions just said I could take 4 tylonel at once every 8 hours. Which was the same (4 tylonel) after I gave birth and had to have stitches. But I didn't have any pain after (maybe because it hurt so bad before the surgery this was nothing). So sometimes you need to get them out.

Ds20 is recovering from his surgery Thursday afternoon, he was hurting after the Novocain wore off, got up a couple of times the first night, took some Tylenol 3’s, but now he’s just frustrated he can’t eat real food (and the swelling). He’s off all pain meds.

Both of my kids had their wisdom teeth taken out when they were 17 and 19 on the advice of our dentist. My oldest has his out when he was 17 and it was a nightmare. He had them done of a Friday with the plan to lay low over the weekend and be fine by Monday. Wrong!! He was out of school for a week! Two very small pieces of his jaw bone was removed with two of the teeth. Apparently that was the cause of the extreme pain.

My youngest had his out a few years later, again on a Friday and we were prepared for the worst. He had absolutely no problems at all and could have gone dancing Saturday night!!

Neither one did any of the crazy things you see on YouTube!! Heck, they both had it done in the morning and I thought they would come home and sleep the afternoon away and neither one even dozed off.

I had two wisdom teeth taken out when I was in my 60s. They came in when I was a teen. I used them for years. But when they were done I did not want to have a crown or implant put in. My dentist is a family friend who is an oral surgeon. He only does my regular dental work because he is a friend. He's a perfectionist.

One of my wisdom teeth had FOUR roots with barbs on the end. He joked than only friends had that kind of issues. It was one of his most difficult extractions. I had no issues with pain nor did I have ANY swelling. It makes such a difference if you have a really great oral surgeon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts