Winging it with No Dinning Plan! A Feb. Trip Report

We will definitely have to give this a try in the future.
Def! I think your boys would love it. It is def something good for super busy days or longer trips. It could even be fun, if they do the pirate make-up thing, then go on adventures with there get up on!

May have to try this one day though I love the Dole Whip...so maybe not.
So, they changed it right after we tried it. And I feel like I would like the more creamsicle version they have now. But I think Dole Whip will always win out for me. I would love it they tried the dole whip with pineapple soda! I think it was the orange soda that was the big draw for me.

I may have to do this.
It really helps with the asking over and over again. They start to strategize on when to get things.

Did you see the rumor that they are ordering a new fleet?
YES!!! I really hope it turns out to be true. They REALLY need to upgrade them. And being out in DL, they are way newer looking. Although spoiler alert.... we never actually rode the monorail in DL! :(

Did you also see the rumor about the wait time for the buses being on the app? That would be really nice to open that up when you are still in your hotel room and bring to get out of the room. Although they don't do times for the boats...

I definitely plan on us staying here one trip. Since we are DVC it won't be too difficult, I hope. It costs more points than WL so we will do a shorter trip (yeh right) or just rent some extra points.
I may PM you, I am curious how much it cost you to buy your DVC points. Andy love WL and I am just afraid we won't be able to afford it now that there are so few regular rooms.

I am thinking of doing a 3 part split stay. Which I know is crazy but I was thinking of doing a value or moderate to start, while we hit the parks hard. Then move over to the Poly and do no parks, go to Ohana, and just swim and rest. And then move back to a cheaper resort and continue with park crazyness.

It seems like it took a really long time for you to have your first cheers!
It took too long!

Need to try this too.
Def do it! The outside area was great with the girls. It isn't quiet the same as being inside but getting "regular" food for the girls was nice.

Don't show my boys!
ha! Can you imaging the craziness of your 2 boys and my 2 girls together!

AJ would love this!
Seriously, if you want it for AJ, I will mail it to you! We still have one extra. And I would love for it to go to a good home! I will PM you!

Where did you get these? We drive but I bet the boys would love them!
I first saw them at Barnes and Nobles. But I found them on Amazon for cheaper! And more animal types.
https://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-F...4400360&sr=8-8&keywords=animal+travel+pillows
They ended up being useful and a toy all in one!

I need these templates also! LOL
Totally can send you them!

There is a Naked Mole rat book that we read at school. I wonder if they have heard it.
What's it called. I will see. They seriously are obsessed. I think they would have them as pets if I let them.

What a mess!
It really was.

YESSSS!!!! We need this!
They could Dino theme the drinks, it would be awsome! And some bar stools. Perfection!

Haha, I'm sure they would make bank there!
Right?!? See above ^^

Yay, though I should have known she was tall enough since she did those ones at Disneyland soon after!
Ha! Actually since California Screamin was down. I think almost everything was a lower height than PW!

I actually liked it too. I mean I wouldn't wait a long time, but it was fun. i was always afraid it would spin too much, but it was fine.
The spinning really isn't too bad. It really is more of a whip. But I can see how that would still bother people.

I have a love hate relationship. It's great that the kids get to release some energy but it sucks a lot of time and it's hard to keep up with little ones.
Pretty much sums it up. A Love Hate Relationship. And it is def better now that they are older. I know they wouldn't leave with out me. But still. Blek.

I don't do round and round, I'm worried this will make me dizzy. Michelle and Chelsea did it in 2012 and like it ok, not enough to repeat in 2015.
There are just so few rides in AK that are middle of the road. With Gwen not really liking Dinosaur and Everest. it's still so few rides. Which is why I think this also had such a big appeal to her.

Awesome! I've never gone on this one and probably never will... darn motion sickness! :faint:
It isn't that bad but also not amazing enough to risk trying it and getting sick either.

We love Primevil Whirl!
I was seriously surprised by how fun the ride was!

I'm sorry for not catching up sooner...but I am really loving your report!
Glad you are hear now! Thanks!

I'm so happy Gwen is tall enough to ride PW! Although it's not my favorite I can see it's appeal to kids - it's like a roller coaster that is their size but more exciting than the Barnstormer!
I def wouldn't put it as a favorite of mine, but Gwen doesn't like Everest because of the Yeti nor does she like Dinosaur. So, there aren't a ton of rides in AK for her to ride. So, they went up high on the list!

I had the same issue with Mobile ordering once at Columbia Harbor House. It was so crowded and everyone was on a huge line to order so I mobile ordered. I got the notification that my order was ready but it wasn't! So annoyed and I waited a while. I also felt like someone else got my order that was meant for me. That was my only issue with mobile ordering though, the other times I've tried it it has been a good experience!
We didn't use the mobile ordering to much and this was by far our worst experience. It won't stop us from using it again. I just think some places are probably better suited for it than others. And like anything, there will be bad days.

Oh my goodness I can't believe all the food issue you all were contending with at AK. I've heard only good things about mobile ordering so your experience definitely seems like the exception. Though I wonder why Flame Tree didn't offer it?

I'm so with you on the boneyard. Sadly Casey still loves it so we can't avoid it either. I've been campaigning for a bar in there for years, so maybe we can start a petition.

Glad to hear Gwen was finally big enough for Primeval Whirl. Casey finally crossed the 48 inch mark on our last trip and loved it too. I skipped out because I was afraid I the whirling may make me whirl :-)

Did you also see the rumor about the wait time for the buses being on the app? That would be really nice to open that up when you are still in your hotel room and bring to get out of the room. Although they don't do times for the boats...
I didn't even think about using it this way! D'oh! But yes, they need to add the boats to it!

I may PM you, I am curious how much it cost you to buy your DVC points. Andy love WL and I am just afraid we won't be able to afford it now that there are so few regular rooms.
Feel free! Honestly if you go regularly, and stay deluxe or moderate, its a smart move.

ha! Can you imaging the craziness of your 2 boys and my 2 girls together!
Squad goals!!

Seriously, if you want it for AJ, I will mail it to you! We still have one extra. And I would love for it to go to a good home! I will PM you!
Yes, he is interested! Just let me know the price and shipping!

I first saw them at Barnes and Nobles. But I found them on Amazon for cheaper! And more animal types.
https://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-F...4400360&sr=8-8&keywords=animal+travel+pillows
They ended up being useful and a toy all in one!
Thank you for this!

Totally can send you them!
Thank you for this, too!

What's it called. I will see. They seriously are obsessed. I think they would have them as pets if I let them.
Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed

Rough lunch! Restaurantasaurous was the first place I ever ate in AK, 18 years ago. It was terrible. And I’ve never been back, lol! Sorry you guys had a rough time. I’m sure hanger pains didn’t help.

But the rest of the day sounds awesome! Super glad Gwen made it on Primevil Whirl, and loved it to boot! And o agree booze in all child play areas is a must. I hate the one at Dumbo the most cause it’s unavoidable able my 3yo never wants to leave.

I've heard only good things about mobile ordering so your experience definitely seems like the exception. Though I wonder why Flame Tree didn't offer it?
We will def try it again. The whole restaurant seemed overwhelmed, so I am chalking it up to just a bad day. Flame Tree's seemed to be down. I am now wondering if the whole system was glitchy that day.

I've been campaigning for a bar in there for years, so maybe we can start a petition.
Let's get it started!

Casey finally crossed the 48 inch mark on our last trip and loved it too. I skipped out because I was afraid I the whirling may make me whirl :-)
I was really worried when we first went on, but it turned out to be ok for me.

This would make all areas of the park better, honestly! LOL
Ha! Right?!?! It's why EPCOT is a lot of adults favorite park...

I've only been on Primevil Whirl once....it's probably about time I give it another try!
Jimmy will love it! Def give it another trip. I think it gets a bad rep. I mean it's no FOP.... But fun, as long as the wait isn't too long.

And o agree booze in all child play areas is a must
You can join our petition with @kastoney

I hate the one at Dumbo the most cause it’s unavoidable able my 3yo never wants to leave.
YES!!! Both of them actually, the play area before the ride AND the Casey Spray Train area... It's a nice idea but there is no fences, very easy to loose a kid!

Day Two: Wilderness Explorer Badge Fail!

After our whirl! The girls wanted to do ride again but the wait was still 40 minutes. So, we all willingly passed on that! We went to find the Wilderness Explorer we saw before. But she was still gone. (Que Morgan starting to realize she was yet again not going to get to finish her book) There was one more thing that Morgan REALLY wanted to do. We have never gone out to Rafiki's Planet Watch and there were a couple Wilderness Explorer Badges out there. So, we decided to head that way next.

At this point Gwen was starting to petter out a bit. I had thought about getting a rental stroller today, but it was so early in the trip. And now it seemed kind of pointless. So, I gave her a piggyback ride across the park. It was NOT easy. I kept thinking I that I was "earning" myself another drink! As I knew I at least wanted 1 more while in the park!

I ended up having to alternate from carrying her and piggy back rides. She is small, but she is getting heavy!

We made it to the train station and there was a train pulling in. So, we hustled down the walkway and hopped on a train! I pulled out some snacks for the girls while we rode. The train ride was very nice.

The top of our train car. I did love the theming of the train itself.

We saw this guy hanging out in the back area. It was kind of cool to see the backstage buildings.

A little weird seeing cars...

It was a short ride to Rafiki's Planet Watch. Soon we were seeing this guy

There were a few folks that just stayed on the train, must have just wanted to take a ride. There was a WL stop outside on the way over to the main building. The girls stopped and did that. Then headed into the big building.

This is where I started to feel like we were at a zoo. It was nice just a little too regular.

Doc McStuffins was coming out for a meet n' greet. I asked the girls if they wanted to meet her, as there was NO ONE in line. But they said no. They were laser focused on getting Wilderness Explorer Badges. So, we found the desk with the WE lady, and they got there instructions.

I think one they had to decode something...

And the other was answer some questions.

While the girls were waiting to get there badges reviewed, one of the CM with Doc came over and asked if I felt ok. I said I felt fine. Totally thinking he was trying to get us to come over a meet Doc. But the he replied "Oh Good, You looked a little Pale!" I had the stupid sand buckets hanging off of my backpack... Get it.... sand pale, pale skin.... It was actually really funny.

The girls got there stickers and we headed out. We skipped the petting area. We just headed back to the train.

We didn't wait too long for a train to arrive. And we hopped back on the train to return to Animal Kingdom.

We arrived back in Harambe before we knew it!

Morgan's WE book had a stop over by Everest that we hadn't noticed before, so we headed back that way. (this is where things start to fall apart for Morgan's goal of getting all of the stickers...)

BUT FIRST, we needed to stop for something SUPER important!!!

Mr. Kamal's Fries!!! I wanted to try these and they did NOT disappoint! It was a very different flavor profile and I it is probably not for everyone. But we loved it.

There was a woman in front of us, who asked what Falafel was, as that was the other option at this small little kiosk. She ended up opting for the fries as well.

We got our fries and headed towards Everest. There was 2 Wilderness Explorers hanging out in front of the Monkeys (By Kali River Rapids) So, we stopped, as we thought it might be one of the stops. But it turned out they were just hanging out talking with people. We chatted with them for a bit then moved on.

We ended up making ANOTHER stop on the way... This time another stop to Thirst River! And got some more drinks. We got both of the girls a Pink Lotus of there own and I decided to try the Kimbu Falls.

Khumbu Icefall
Cruzan Guava Rum blended with Coconut and Raspberry Pureé

It was good but I def preferred the Himalayan Ghost better. After we got our beverages, we went to find the 2 stops in the area for the girls. One turned out to now be a PhotoPass stop. You could literally see where the Wilderness Explorer Sign was. Morgan was very upset by this. So we headed toward the other stop and found that one gone as well.

Well, Morgan was completely defeated at this point. She wanted to give up all together, since she couldn't finish her book. We headed towards Dinoland, as there was that CM that was missing over there. But once we got back over there, there was still no one.

To cheer Morgan up, we went on Primevil Whirl again. The wait said 20 minutes. So why not....

The line really wasn't that bad, now that both sides were open again. We got to try the "other" side out this time. Although, I am pretty sure it is exactly the same thing.

Traveling into the past... how far... Older than dirt apparently...

This time Morgan wanted to be on the far end. They said you whip more on the far end..

They loved it just as much this time as last. It was now around 4:20, so we decided to head towards Pandora, our fast pass for FOP was coming up! We were all getting tired but def wanted to ride FOP!

Up next, would we make it to FOP Fast Pass time?

Last edited:
At this point Gwen was starting to petter out a bit. I had thought about getting a rental stroller today, but it was so early in the trip. And now it seemed kind of pointless. So, I gave her a piggyback ride across the park. It was NOT easy. I kept thinking I that I was "earning" myself another drink! As I knew I at least wanted 1 more while in the park!

Wow you are quite the trooper. No chance I could carry Casey around. Though on second thought if it earned me another drink....:drinking1

Doc McStuffins was coming out for a meet n' greet. I asked the girls if they wanted to meet her, as there was NO ONE in line. But they said no. They were laser focused on getting Wilderness Explorer Badges. So, we found the desk with the WE lady, and they got there instructions.
I had no idea doc was inside there. I don't think we ever got out there on out last trip, so maybe she's new :confused3

Mr. Kamal's Fries!!! I wanted to try these and they did NOT disappoint! It was a very different flavor profile and I it is probably not for everyone. But we loved it.
Yum!!! We loved these too. Who knew fries, tzatziki and sriracha would work so well together.

Khumbu Icefall
I'm not a huge fan of frozen drinks, but coconut and raspberry does sound pretty good. What is the Himalayan Ghost that it is better?

While the girls were waiting to get there badges reviewed, one of the CM with Doc came over and asked if I felt ok. I said I felt fine. Totally thinking he was trying to get us to come over a meet Doc. But the he replied "Oh Good, You looked a little Pale!" I had the stupid sand buckets hanging off of my backpack... Get it.... sand pale, pale skin.... It was actually really funny.

Bahaha oh that's terrible!

I'm not a huge fan of frozen drinks, but coconut and raspberry does sound pretty good. What is the Himalayan Ghost that it is better?
I think I am kind of the same. The frozen drink was good but you didn't really taste the booze. The Himalayan Ghost was freshly prepared, too which I think made it feel more like a real drink.

Bahaha oh that's terrible!
Terrible but awsome...

So, I gave her a piggyback ride across the park. It was NOT easy. I kept thinking I that I was "earning" myself another drink!
OMG. I gave my 4-year old nephew MANY piggyback rides in January and my back was not at all pleased. You definitely deserved another drink for those efforts, especially since Gwen has a few years (and likely pounds!) on my nephew!

Mr. Kamal's Fries!!!
Yum! :thumbsup2

We ended up making ANOTHER stop on the way... This time another stop to Thirst River! And got some more drinks.
But remember, you earned it! :rotfl:

Traveling into the past... how far... Older than dirt apparently...
Apparently :laughing:

So, I gave her a piggyback ride across the park. It was NOT easy. I kept thinking I that I was "earning" myself another drink! As I knew I at least wanted 1 more while in the park!
Props to you, Momma!

I ended up having to alternate from carrying her and piggy back rides. She is small, but she is getting heavy!
AJ is definitely too heavy for this at 6. Will is close at 4 but thats because he only weighs about 7 or 8 lbs less than AJ (at 2.5 yrs younger) and is a bowling ball. Can you say linebacker???

We made it to the train station and there was a train pulling in. So, we hustled down the walkway and hopped on a train! I pulled out some snacks for the girls while we rode. The train ride was very nice.
This is one of those things we will eventually do once we get several trips in.

This is where I started to feel like we were at a zoo. It was nice just a little too regular.
Good to know.

Doc McStuffins was coming out for a meet n' greet. I asked the girls if they wanted to meet her, as there was NO ONE in line. But they said no.
My boys actually like Doc!

They were laser focused on getting Wilderness Explorer Badges. So, we found the desk with the WE lady, and they got there instructions.
Another thing we will eventually do!

I saw these in @kastoney 's report and thought they sounded and looked good.

Khumbu Icefall

It was good but I def preferred the Himalayan Ghost better.
Good to know!

Well, Morgan was completely defeated at this point. She wanted to give up all together, since she couldn't finish her book.
Awww...poor Morgan.

o, I gave her a piggyback ride across the park. It was NOT easy. I kept thinking I that I was "earning" myself another drink! As I knew I at least wanted 1 more while in the park!

My back hurts just reading this. You more than earned your drink.

The top of our train car. I did love the theming of the train itself.

The trains and stations have so many great details.

They were laser focused on getting Wilderness Explorer Badges. So, we found the desk with the WE lady, and they got there instructions.

I'm so glad they found some WE stops.

:rotfl:

We ended up making ANOTHER stop on the way... This time another stop to Thirst River! And got some more drinks. We got both of the girls a Pink Lotus of there own and I decided to try the Kimbu Falls.

These all look good to me.

Well, Morgan was completely defeated at this point. She wanted to give up all together, since she couldn't finish her book. We headed towards Dinoland, as there was that CM that was missing over there. But once we got back over there, there was still no one.

Oh no! I had a bad feeling this was going to happen.

This is a great action shot. I think it went a good ways to erasing her WE disappointment.

I'm late but here, and totally loving your TR so far! Your family is too cute, and it seems like you are had a great time! DH and I are going DDP-free in June, so we definitely need all the tips you have :o

I said to Andy, we should have taken an uber to the Contemporary and just walked over from there.

Amazing idea!

We spotted this cute little boy dressed like the dapper dans. How cute!

SWOON.

yes your food is ready, they turn around and grab the tray that I had been staring at for at least 15 minutes at!!!!! I tell the CM that my tray has been sitting there for awhile. The CM very nicely offers to remake the food without hesitation

I would have been so annoyed!!

I forgot that they served the kids meals in sand buckets. Cute idea but kind of a pain when your kid wants to take the crappy bucket home with them!

:rotfl2:

40444672622_d4edeeaff9_z.jpg
This picture is so cute! Some day when she doesn't need to be carried around you're going to love that you have this :)

A little weird seeing cars...
I agree!!!!!! I love taking that train ride and then bam the real world appears. In a way it's sort of cool to be able to see where the animals are kept, but I like to keep my backstage experiences for tours when I expect to see them!

Mr. Kamal's Fries!!! I wanted to try these and they did NOT disappoint! It was a very different flavor profile and I it is probably not for everyone. But we loved it

Oh man those look amazing!!!!!!

I agree, it felt a bit too "sterile" and not that Disney theme park magic!

OMG-that is so clever! :rotfl2:

Oh, poor Morgan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!