Wine survey

How do you typically enjoy wine/champagne onboard? (You can pick more than one choice)

• Total voters
We like wine with dinner so we bring on wines we enjoy. We usually go to a store near port and find ones we like. We have (and once have not) been charged the corkage fee. We don’t mind paying that since we know we like what we’ve brought onboard. We didn’t open before dinner because with main seating we are all busy getting showered and dressed!

I am only a casual wine fan, am super picky, and am also cheap. Ha! So we bring a couple bottles that I know I like, and I generally just have about half a glass while getting ready for dinner, and maybe another half a glass on the balcony in the evening.

I used to bring on my own bottles but once I discovered that they carry my favorite Moscato on the wine package. It became one less thing for me to carry.

We bring 3 or 4 bottles on board with us (depending on length of cruise) and at dinner will occasionally order one glass (but usually a cocktail instead or just an non alcoholic beverage). I like to visit the sommelier bin in the lounges as well, have scored some GREAT wines and champagne for only $10 a glass! We can't bring ourselves to order the wine package, the mark up is just far to high for us (esp coming from Canada where we need to add another 30%+ on top). I really like La Crema Chardonnay. It's part of the Premium package so they charge you about $50US for that bottle. I pay $30CDN here at home (which is enough!!) it's usually $22US or so in Target near the port. The 'inconvenience' of carrying my bottles around the ship for an hour or two is way easier for us than paying such a huge mark up.

We bring 3 or 4 bottles on board with us (depending on length of cruise) and at dinner will occasionally order one glass (but usually a cocktail instead or just an non alcoholic beverage). I like to visit the sommelier bin in the lounges as well, have scored some GREAT wines and champagne for only $10 a glass! We can't bring ourselves to order the wine package, the mark up is just far to high for us (esp coming from Canada where we need to add another 30%+ on top). I really like La Crema Chardonnay. It's part of the Premium package so they charge you about $50US for that bottle. I pay $30CDN here at home (which is enough!!) it's usually $22US or so in Target near the port. The 'inconvenience' of carrying my bottles around the ship for an hour or two is way easier for us than paying such a huge mark up.
what is the sommelier bin???

I am traveling solo and have been back and forth on the packages - I am doing a few tastings and decided that even though i probably COULD finish 3 bottles, I don't want to be pressured to do so and I'd rather just order by the glass so I can get what I feel like or a cocktail if I would rather.

what is the sommelier bin???

The sommelier bin is like a "surprise" glass of wine from bottles that have already been opened. You choose if you want red, white, or sparkling (I believe). The price is a discounted, flat fee.

Scott had a write up on his blog, but now I can't find it.

We buy the premium wine package with dinner. MH and I drink about 1/2 bottle each night. Of course there is mark up. We could buy the same bottles for cheaper at the store but the prices are similar or less expensive to any other restaurant.

The sommelier bin is like a "surprise" glass of wine from bottles that have already been opened. You choose if you want red, white, or sparkling (I believe). The price is a discounted, flat fee.

It was $10 a glass on my last cruise. The price of the sparkling wines is approach $20 so the sommelier bin is a good deal.

Is the sommelier bin only in certain bars or lounges or can you get it in the MDR as well? I'll be on the Wonder if that makes a difference. And you don't know the variety of white before they pour you the glass? I like white but there are certain varieties that I'm not a fan of at all! I would probably be happy with anything sparkling though! :)

Is the sommelier bin only in certain bars or lounges or can you get it in the MDR as well? I'll be on the Wonder if that makes a difference. And you don't know the variety of white before they pour you the glass? I like white but there are certain varieties that I'm not a fan of at all! I would probably be happy with anything sparkling though! :)
It was $10 a glass on my last cruise. The price of the sparkling wines is approach $20 so the sommelier bin is a good deal.

I'm curious too where this is available. sounds like a great way to try new stuff!

Edited to add: I googled it and found a few references, it appears to only be in the cadillac lounge on the Wonder. So @StarSeven7 you're in luck, I'm not!!!

Looks like you can choose white, red or sparkling but totally up to them what you get in that so I'd stick with sparkling if there are some varieties of white you do not like.

Last edited:
Edited to add: I googled it and found a few references, it appears to only be in the cadillac lounge on the Wonder. So @StarSeven7 you're in luck, I'm not!!!

I poked around on Scott's blog. They were able to purchase from the sommelier bin in Meridian on the Dream in October. Also on the Magic in June 2018.

I'm guessing it's available on all ships. Just need to keep an eye out for it on the drinks menu in the lounges/bars.

I love this thread. So many great ideas.
I typically drink as I go, never really knowing what I'll want until I want it. I'm usually a mixed drink girl and wine at dinner.
I'm really liking the idea of having bottle for in the room to have a glass while we're chilling or getting ready for the evening. We'll be in Cocoa Beach for two days before our next cruise. I am sure there is a packie near our hotel I can get a bottle or two of Moscato or Riesling.

I love this thread. So many great ideas.
I typically drink as I go, never really knowing what I'll want until I want it. I'm usually a mixed drink girl and wine at dinner.
I'm really liking the idea of having bottle for in the room to have a glass while we're chilling or getting ready for the evening. We'll be in Cocoa Beach for two days before our next cruise. I am sure there is a packie near our hotel I can get a bottle or two of Moscato or Riesling.

I’m the same way... kind of spontaneous when it comes to alcohol selection. If one of the mixed drinks on the menu sparks my interest, I may want to forgo drinking a glass of wine with dinner.

We do a combination. For the room, we bring on board a bottle of wine, a 6-pk of beer and 4 bottles of Smartwater or Figi (electrolytes replacement ... :)). We find with dinner we prefer to drink the water but on deck we will enjoy a glass or in the sports bar.

I'm totally looking for this on our upcoming cruise! We only occasionally pick wines at home that we know and like. We usually go to the vintage section of the LCBO and pick what looks and sounds interesting that we haven't had before and we're also members of the wine club from some wineries in Niagara. That way there's always something new and interesting to try. I like the odds here!

We bring our own from home and pay corkage in the dining rooms. We did try the sommeliers bin and it was great but they only had red the 2 times we inquired.

Just curious on how different people enjoy wine onboard. Thanks for responding.

We tend to bring ours and usually drink it in the restaurants, though we usually drink at least one bottle on the veranda. We also buy some in the restaurants since we can only bring 4 bottles.

I order on board. I don't drink enough to warrant bringing a whole bottle. DH does not bring wine at all. Plus, we don't want to deal w/ the hassles (for us) of flying w/ a bottle of wine.

When we first started cruising (2012), there were no carry on restrictions and we definitely brought 6+ bottles on board our first 2 cruises.

Now, we realize that we actually do enjoy going to the bars and also trying the sommelier bin, so we bring one really nice bottle for Palo or Remy dinner, and a couple of bottles to have in the MDRs (Or just purchase by the glass).

Honestly, we’ve always found both wine packages way over priced for what is included. Even doing by the glass or by the bottle combinations has been cheaper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter