Wine-ing my way from injury to marathon! 2016/2017 Training Journal Update x2 5/10

emilyindisney

DIS Veteran
Hi there- thanks for visiting! I’m Emily, and I’m a runDisney addict- the first step is admitting it, right?! Haha! I’m 23 years old and I’m a ‘later-in-life’ Disney World lover.

16723287560_290bdf1463_c.jpg

Together with my sister, Caitlin, I’ve been to Disney 5 times in the past three years (with two trips as kids with my parents.) Three of those trips have been fueled by our runDisney obsession!

16718038141_e9dee220e5_c.jpg

I started running in January 2012 with the goal of running a Warrior Dash mud run. Since then this casual hobby has morphed into a lifestyle that includes 1 marathon, 9 half marathons, 6 runDisney races over 3 weekends, and countless other races. I love running but that doesn’t mean I always like it so I’m starting this training journal to help me stay focused on my goals for this year and hopefully connect with more friends here on the DIS!

My current race schedule:

A little sparse but I’m planning on adding some things along the way. I work every third weekend which makes scheduling a little difficult (and easier to do on short notice!)

June 5th, 2016- Local 10k

September 2016- Still trying to pin down a half marathon to attempt a new PR

November 5th/6th- Lumiere’s Two Course Challenge

January 8th- Walt Disney World Marathon

My goals:

I have a list of successive goals that I want to complete over the course of writing this journal.

First- Get a new half marathon PR. My current half marathon PR is from Nov 2014 and won’t be good to register for runDisney anymore. So I want to obtain a new half marathon ‘PR’ (even a decent time is fine, doesn’t have to be a personal record per say.)

Two- Get into better shape. Not exactly sure what my ‘passing standard’ for this is, and not yet sure how I’m going to accomplish this. TBD!

Three- Complete marathon #2 with the subgoals of a) improving my time, b) stopping for a drink in Epcot, and c) stop for a couple of previously skipped character stops!

As the title implies, I’m rebounding from some post race tendonitis in Feb/March that had me sidelined in a boot for a month. I did a lot of stationary biking during that time but I still feel like I’m sort of starting fresh on my running again. So, to accomplish these races and my goals here’s the three step plan:

Step 1- Train for the 10k

Step 2- Train for a fall half marathon plus improve my overall speed

Step 3- Train for the marathon

Easy, right?...right?!

My runDisney trips:

Our first trip for Feb 2014 for the inaugural Glass Slipper Challenge + 5K at Princess Half Marathon Weekend.

12931163463_55fcdd460c_c.jpg

13409311124_2a3bb1eaae_c.jpg

13928187481_12229e025f_c.jpg

13993463752_802db99596_c.jpg

This was also our first trip renting DVC points which was AWESOME! A great bargain to try the Boardwalk!

Our second trip was Oct 2014 for the final (as of yet) Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend.

16023165985_7b6e2c4461_c.jpg

16080059972_9caeeb4fe6_c.jpg

16103713726_cddf91c2ae_c.jpg

15527778093_d6407a1aff_c.jpg

This was also our first visit to Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween party- fall MK is my FAVORITE!

Our third, and most recent trip was for Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge at Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend 2015. Our first marathon! (with a half marathon the day before because why not?!)

15667504264_de4e9f59cf_c.jpg

16311214989_f63ccd7dcc_c.jpg

16411607057_f38474355b_c.jpg

16930427752_9e3836b197_c.jpg

Princess Half trip report here
Tower of Terror trip report here
Goofy trip report here

Hi, Emily! :wave:

Joining in and looking forward to reading about your training!! I'm dealing with some tendonitis myself right now in my knee. Not fun. :(

Week one- training for the 10k (April 25th- May 1st)

I’m using Hal Higdon’s novice 10k plan. I’m reworking the days each week to fit my work schedule. On the schedule of this week:

Monday- 40 min cross train
Did 40 minutes on the bike at the gym. I just found out my gym got wifi so my new favorite thing to do is watch runDisney related videos on youtube while I pedal!

Tuesday- 30 min cross train
Another 30 on the bike. I’m planning to mix it up next week and use the elliptical as well but the bike is easy on my foot and really works my legs which I like to prevent previous knee injuries.

Wednesday- 2 mile run, yoga, ab work
First deviation from the plan- I did a 4 mile walk today while catching up with a friend on a BEAUTIFUL river trail! The weather was great :) After I got home and made an awesome Hawaiian pizza I did some basic stretching yoga and some ab work. Still having trouble trying to find a yoga video that works for me- most of the time I find that I do one workout and can’t walk the next day!

Thursday- Rest

Friday- Rest

Saturday- 2.5 miles
Decided I’d use this day as a tempo run at the track. Came in at 9:23/mile for the run- very pleased! I’ve lost a lot of speed over the past year so I’m optimistic I can work to get some of it back.

Sunday- 4 mile run
I’ll admit- I bailed on this one! I got up and wasn’t feeling well, plus it was downpouring and the gym just wasn’t calling my name. I rescheduled for tomorrow instead!

I didn’t take any pictures to entertain you this week so here’s some Flower and Garden deliciousness from last month!

26521460220_2df16cd21f_c.jpg

26188759754_8bf001e695_c.jpg

26190140893_4fb65dc773_c.jpg

Sounds like a solid week of training and I don't do training runs in the rain unless I have absolutely no choice!!

And, YUM, on those pictures. Is that the German beer flight? I wonder if it was the same as the one we had at F&W. There was a lemon shandy in there that was yummy!

Sounds like a solid week of training and I don't do training runs in the rain unless I have absolutely no choice!!

And, YUM, on those pictures. Is that the German beer flight? I wonder if it was the same as the one we had at F&W. There was a lemon shandy in there that was yummy!

I know! I hate when rain gets in the way after I've laid out my training schedule exactly the way I want. I don't totally hate the treadmill (it's grown on me a little) but I always use some form of intervals when I treadmill run (though I've been using intervals on most of my training runs right now anyways so no change.) Something about intervals on the treadmill totally helps to break up the monotony that makes me otherwise lose my mind.

I believe that was a cider flight from the UK with cheddar biscuit with salmon (or something along those lines.) Oddly enough they were all American ciders but a lot of yummy, fruity varieties to try :)

Following along. Great start so far!

Welcome! Thanks for following along! Feel free to chime in with any of your infinite running/training knowledge :thumbsup2

Following! Good luck in your training! I'm registered for the Lumiere Challenge in November as well and cannot wait.

Following along!

I found that FitStar Yoga (its an app for your phone) works well for me for guiding through a flow at home and allows me to focus on whatever it is I need for that day. I mean, I rather a class but sometimes you got to do what you got to do!

Good luck training post injury!

Following along!

I found that FitStar Yoga (its an app for your phone) works well for me for guiding through a flow at home and allows me to focus on whatever it is I need for that day. I mean, I rather a class but sometimes you got to do what you got to do!

Good luck training post injury!

Thank you for the recommendation! I've tried looking for apps for yoga before but I've got an older iphone so it's hard to find one that's compatible with my iOS. I'll have to check that one out!

Week two- training for the 10k (May 2nd- May 8th)

Monday- 40 minute cross train
I had to make up my four mile run from Sunday and it was still pouring out so I compromised and did 20 minutes on the bike and my 4 miles on the treadmill. As I mentioned earlier, I watched runDisney videos to pass the time. Current favorites? Walt Disney World Marathon 2013 by ajrucker, Ride-Along in the 2016 Walt Disney World Marathon by Attractions Magazine, and Cheering on the Disney Marathon 2016- What it’s like to be a spectator at a runDisney event! by TheTimTracker.

Last week I bit the bullet and ordered the new Mermaid Capris from Ink N Burn and they came today. Let me just say- WOW! First off, they’re absolutely beautiful! Not only am I in love with the print but the fit is fantastic! I’m really pleased with how form flattering I think they look, plus they didn’t move an inch while I was running in them. No mid-run tugging or hiking! The price tag is steep but now I understand why people are so sold on Ink N Burn. I’ll definitely be looking for more fun prints in their capris in the future.

Tuesday- 4 mile run
Another day of rain and I’d just done 4 miles yesterday so I did 35 minutes of cross training (split between the bike and the elliptical) in hopes that I could save the run for better weather later in the week.

Wednesday- 3 mile run
Ran this as a tempo run at an 8:47/mile pace- wahhh?!?! I was pleased to break 9 minutes but I think next week I’ll scale myself back just a little. With this pace I had to take a 30 second-1 minute break in between each mile to catch my breath so I think I’d rather be able to consistently make it through if it means just a little slower on the pace.

Thursday- 2 mile run
Threw in the towel on the yoga a little bit this week. I did some thigh/quad work after my run and started a new 30 day ab calendar work out.

Friday- 35 min cross train
Made up my 4 mile run today though it was still raining so I ended up on the treadmill anyways- oh well!

Saturday/Sunday- Rest

As a picture reward for reading through all my ramblings I present- the monorail bar crawl!

26869131441_b91d0ecf29_c.jpg

26663866810_60ed0da640_c.jpg

26869143731_fd02e5182c_c.jpg

In order, we’ve got the Under the Florida Moon Martini from The Wave at the Contemporary, the Lapu Lapu from Ohana at the Polynesian, and The Grand Cocktail (red) and the Godiva Martini (really should look more like chocolate milk- darn my flash!) from Mizner’s Lounge at the Grand Floridian.

November Dining/January Resort planning

For November we rented DVC points a couple months ago for… (drum roll)

13408982445_99fbb9a366_c.jpg

The Beach Club (picture featuring SAB because it’s literally the coolest pool on Disney property! Plus, I don't have a decent picture of the resort to share- yet!)

Now that our 180 day mark has passed for dining we are officially reserved for Beaches and Cream and Tony’s Town Square.

13540010824_873ac40525_c.jpg

Cannot wait to dig into that Kitchen Sink post half marathon! We’re going to hit Tony’s for a late lunch before the Christmas party on Monday after the half marathon.

We’re still hoping/waiting that our DVC point request will come through for marathon weekend. We’d originally put in for AKL Savannah view but I got an email this week stating that was no longer available for all our dates so we switched our request to OKW. That resort is equally beautiful plus I’ve been really wanting to do breakfast at Olivia’s so I’ve got my fingers crossed this works out for us!

Joining in! I'm training for the Wine and Dine Half too, and I love to hear how other peoples training is going!

Best of luck with your training and races!

Hooray on ordering the mermaid capris from InB. I absolutely love them and so agree with you on the quality of their products. I can't believe how many things I've purchased from them over the last few months though, so BEWARE!!!

And WOW, your pace on that training run...8:47?!? That's fantastic.

I might need to try that whole monorail drinking thing. Those all look delicious.

We are staying at BCV on rented points in January. We've never stayed there as we typically have stayed offsite on most of our trips, so I'm really excited to give it a try!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!