Wine and Dine...to the Finish Line! Fall 2017 TR NEW 11/7 A Change of Pace

Discussion in 'Disney Trip Reports' started by chunkymonkey, Apr 27, 2018.

1. tammy

tammy DIS Veteran

Amazing!!

chunkymonkey likes this.
  2. ONUAtrain

ONUAtrain Mouseketeer

Someday ill make it to V&A

chunkymonkey likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. MeghanEmily

MeghanEmily DIS Veteran

:rotfl: It's his own darn fault for not taking a nap!

Amazing!! And yes, I can only imagine you were NOT willing to miss this one!

Oh interesting. I'm glad you explained this, because as someone who speaks French conversationally, my first instinct was subconsciously fish, probably for that reason.

:rotfl:

How cool! I like that this is kind of different and creative. Any course where cheese is the star would be fine with me.

Oh wow, your FIRST dessert course? Yum. Sign me up.

This looks beautiful! I love this idea, and it sounds like it tasted good, too.

:rotfl:

What a great night! Nathan wants to do V&A someday for a special occasion, but we're waiting for now to see if I can manage to broaden my horizons a bit with my current dietary restrictions first. Otherwise, I have no doubt that he would love this either way, and I'm sure they'd probably be able to accommodate any challenges I send their way.

chunkymonkey likes this.
  5. dizneeat

dizneeat DIS Veteran

What a great evening. Everything looks so yummy!

chunkymonkey likes this.
  6. soniam

soniam Wooden leg named Smith...

That was an amazing evening! It was so nice to dine with you guys. Reliving the food through your pictures is great. That was such an awesome trip. It was definitely a very memorable meal.

We have eaten at both, and they are very comparable. The head chef at V&A also is involved with Remy. Remy is a better deal, because DCL subsidizes the cost. However, I adore both and wouldn't pass up the opportunity to eat at either.

starousse and chunkymonkey like this.
  7. franandaj

franandaj I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!

Sounds like you were the more sensible of the two of you.

I need Thanksgiving in there before I can move on to Christmas.

That sounds really yummy!

I wouldn't like the idea of spending that much money and having my other half not enjoy it!

That's very resourceful of him. Fran will often make herself a salad from the fixings bar. Lettuce, tomatoes, onions, topped with a mix of mayo, ketchup, and relish, aka Thousand Island.

Totally! And I love mobile ordering. I'll have a little bit on that in my next "bonus update" where I tried it for the first time.

:faint:

chunkymonkey likes this.
  8. franandaj

OK where at AK is this????? :confused3

Yes, that was the one. :laughing:

I was really not happy. :sad2:

I swam more than half my young life. Now over 50 I'm trying to get back to it and it's so difficult, and I have a pool less than 15 feet from my bed!

Well yes, we are at Beach Club with my parents for a week, but we had to fly in two days early to save $600 on airfare.

I think you'd be a perfect token Male with all those women around. You could have your harem literally!

OMG! I would love to do this one day. I can see where it could be the most expensive dinner, unless you're stupid like Fran and I.

I live Heitz Cabernet, the wine must have been a real treat!

Did you contact the restaurant in advance to arrange the table together?

That looks so delicious!

I would have loved every course, especially the duck bacon.

Wow that sounds so delish!

I probably would have barely made it back!

chunkymonkey likes this.
  9. tiggerpals

tiggerpals Earning My Ears

Wow that dinner looked amazing!! Someday I'll make it there... :)

chunkymonkey likes this.
  10. Steppesister

Steppesister DIS Veteran

Dead or alive, yes, he needed to be there!!!

So perfect!!!

Won't comment on all the dishes, but they were all so very lovely!! I did notice the 3 bread courses were exactly the same as mine 2 years ago, but there were all new dishes otherwise. Just lovely!!

I loved that touch as well. But I loved the warm pashmina they gave me to wear when I got chilly even more!

:lmao:

Mine was about that long too, but worth every last minute. I need to do this again.

chunkymonkey likes this.
  11. Steppesister

Steppesister DIS Veteran

There is a little kiosk on Discovery Island called 8 Spoons. They only serve drinks, and the 3 mac and cheeses- plain, with shrimp, and with pulled pork. Real cheese and shredded real cheese on top then baked.

chunkymonkey likes this.
  12. Jenny Sanders

Jenny Sanders DIS Veteran

Ha! The husbands NEVER listen, do they???? That meal looked fabulous. Joe and I definitely want to try it out one day!!!

chunkymonkey likes this.
  13. franandaj

Oh my! I must find this in March!

chunkymonkey and Steppesister like this.
  14. chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey DIS Veteran

Yeah for sure, such a unique presentation of the cheese course!
    My purse's personal seat was fancier than my purse itself! LOL.

Thank you! It was certainly a very special treat.
    Oh yeah, he was OUT, LOL.

It was very good :)

Thank you! It was a fantastic meal probably one of the best I've ever had!

Yes, that's exactly what I said!

Probably about to topple over.

Me neither until I went to book a regular V&A meal for our anniversary and that Friday night was blocked out. I initially had an ADR for Tuesday, but when Sonia told me about the special dinner that she had booked she convinced me that was the way to go and of course we wanted to sit together!-*

No it's for the bigwigs only. We are small wigs.

Of course. Now I'm going to have to request a stool for my purse everywhere. At Ohana, at BoG, at Tiffins, at Flame Tree BBQ...LOL

Haha, why not?

Smack to the head count?

I barely remember there being brussel sprouts but it was probably like a sliver or a leaf of one sprout.

The purse stool was the best. LOL.
    It was definitely an adventurous meal! I don't normally eat bison or veal - they are not too weird but still not something that I'd choose but what we did get was very good!
    Thank you! It was a great evening!

It is very similar! As Frandandaj said, the same chef, Scott Hummel, works as consultant in both places. Remy definitely had a more French feel since there are two menus you can choose from (One French, and one American) but I would say the American menu (by Chef Scott Hummel) is very similar to what you can find at V&A. We really enjoyed both! OF course being at Remy is just extra exciting because you're on a Disney cruise! :)

15. pkondz

pkondz . . Dis Dad #797 . . Hoping to get lucky

thought so!

Sure! That turned out really well, too. :)

I'd rather be a small wig in V&A then a big wig not in Disney.

or here

[​IMG]

Why not indeed!

::yes::

So, fairly easy to shove over to the side of the plate... and off onto the table... and then onto the floor...

chunkymonkey likes this.
  16. TwoLittlePrincesses

TwoLittlePrincesses Mouseketeer

What a meal at V&A's!! It looks simply fabulous, and I give props to Steve for staying awake. Haven't our husbands learned by now that we wives are always right?? ;)

chunkymonkey likes this.
  17. Pluto0809

Pluto0809 DIS Veteran

Really enjoyed reading about your Victoria and Albert's experience. I am just way too picky to ever eat there myself but I do love living vicariously through others.

I am thinking about trying out Tiffins if we do that one in May. I'm pretty sure I can handle the steak dish there minus the brussel sprouts. :rotfl:

chunkymonkey and missjackiemcg like this.
  18. chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey DIS Veteran

Thank you! It certainly was!

I love fine dining but don't get to do it much, and doing it at Disney was amazing!

Right? Of course.

I would have gone without him.

yes me too! Even my basic elementary school french knew that it wasn't Poisson but the server explained it when they set it down in front of us and it wasn't a fish!

It was really great, I loved the cheese course.

It was a wonderful night! And thanks for all the allergy website recs! I've totally convinced Eva that Disney is the only place where she can have waffles. :)
    And I'm pretty sure V&A can accommodate dishes for you. I'm not sure how much but it's worth it to ask!

Thank you! It was amazing!

Yes!! It is one for the books for sure. It was so much fun to dine with you guys and you're probably the reason Steve stayed awake. :)

I usually am :)

I agree. I need a middle holiday to pig out before Christmas pigging out.

It was soooo good! I love cheese and dishes with cheese.

Agreed! Although I would have gone without him if he didn't make it, haha.

Wow that is also a good idea! Steve liked that it was FREE. LOL.

Oooh I would absolutely love a pool!! I belong to a gym with a pool but it's so crowded and I always have to wait for a lane.

Disney math, it always works!

@pkondz - this is the perfect opportunity for you!

LOL but what a meal it must have been...:littleangel:

It was!!
    Speaking of which, I just had their cabernet tonight! We ordered a bunch from Napa and it was delicious!

We both booked separately and then Sonia spoke to them when they called to confirm and asked if we could sit together. I was on the cruise when they called so they left a voicemail and when I called them back they said they had already made the arrangements :)

It was all very magical, especially duck bacon! Even the bread is magical. :wizard:

Cheese always wins! So hard to pick a favorite dish of the night...but this cheese course was really unique. I had never tasted anything like it. It may be the winner!

It's a VERY GOOD thing we were so close to our room. Although having a golf cart ride could have helped, LOL.

MeghanEmily and soniam like this.
  19. chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey DIS Veteran

It really was exceptional! It's one of those bucket list meals...but on repeat for me! I can't wait until I go back!

He was certainly dead tired! :rolleyes:

I love the breads! I loved everything I've ever eaten here! :love:

That's really thoughtful of them!!

Absolutely! If only we had more time in May!

I need to get this too! @franandaj maybe we can meet up in AK to get some of this goodness!

They do not! LOL I think that the word husband means "does not listen" :rotfl:
    It's a fabulous meal! I think you both should definitely try it!

Thank you! It was an amazing meal!
    I don't know how he stayed awake given how much he did that day but I'm glad he did, LOL It would have been embarrassing if he passed out mid-meal. :laughing:
    And I'm pretty sure they never think we're actually "right" even when we are!! :sad2:

It was definitely a very decadent meal with a lot of interesting food influences.
    Tiffins changes up their menu a lot. The last time we went, they had a steak and lobster meal. I think it came with whipped potatoes. I'm not sure I even saw a brussel sprout. LOL.
    Do you want to come in May? I was thinking of organizing a lunch on May 2nd.

Jenny Sanders likes this.
  20. pkondz

pkondz . . Dis Dad #797 . . Hoping to get lucky

:laughing:

chunkymonkey likes this.
  21. missjackiemcg

missjackiemcg DIS Veteran

Jimmy was SO excited with the little package you sent!! (Sorry for my delay in thanking you!!) He can't wait to try out his new cards (too bad he has to wait 400+ days!!) You're the best :)

chunkymonkey likes this.