Wine and Dine to Avengers for C2C

Boggles

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!

This may be a dumb question, but I'm a newer runner so bear with me. The stars aligned with work/flights/re-opened registration and I will be doing the Wine and Dine at WDW. It will be my first half marathon. I am ahead of the training schedule on the Disney training plan and have been feeling pretty good about running and being able to train to complete the half marathon. I currently run 6 days a week, doing about 3-3.5 miles most days and then a longer run on Saturday. My longest so far has been 5 miles. I'm loosely following the Galloway Saturday runs , but was ahead already when I decided to sign up.

I live about an hour from Disneyland. I am debating doing the Avengers Half the Sunday after for the coast to coast medal since I am going to be going all the way to Florida for a race this year. Do you think it's doable to run both, considering I haven't run a half marathon before if I condition/train correctly? I am signed up for the Disneyland half weekend, but I'm only doing the 5k with a friend. I just wanted an opinion from some more experienced runners if you felt it was doable or completely crazy.

Just make sure the last couple weeks of your training reflect back-to-back weekends with long runs and you should be fine.

Totally doable as I did it myself as my 1st and 2nd half marathons! Just train well and you'll be okay.

Thank you guys! My family thinks I'm crazy, so I'm glad it's not an absurd idea. As far as my training reflecting the back to back, do you mean just tapering in a certain way before the first one (and obviously light running between the two )?

It is definitely doable. I had a friend that did those two as B2B as her second and third 1/2 marathons. I definitely agree that so long as you are trained and you rest and take care of your body between the half that it's doable. I would say don't go all out at W&D since you know you'll have to run again next week.

Hi everyone!

This may be a dumb question, but I'm a newer runner so bear with me. The stars aligned with work/flights/re-opened registration and I will be doing the Wine and Dine at WDW. It will be my first half marathon. I am ahead of the training schedule on the Disney training plan and have been feeling pretty good about running and being able to train to complete the half marathon. I currently run 6 days a week, doing about 3-3.5 miles most days and then a longer run on Saturday. My longest so far has been 5 miles. I'm loosely following the Galloway Saturday runs , but was ahead already when I decided to sign up.

I live about an hour from Disneyland. I am debating doing the Avengers Half the Sunday after for the coast to coast medal since I am going to be going all the way to Florida for a race this year. Do you think it's doable to run both, considering I haven't run a half marathon before if I condition/train correctly? I am signed up for the Disneyland half weekend, but I'm only doing the 5k with a friend. I just wanted an opinion from some more experienced runners if you felt it was doable or completely crazy.

It's doable. I did Dopey and Star Wars light side back to back.

My one suggestion would be that since you are going to do them back-to-back, go a little slower in the first race then you normally could. It is easy to get caught up in the adrenaline and go faster but just pace yourself a bit since you'll have another long race the next weekend. If you are conditioned where you can run a half you can run them on back to back weekends as long as you don't push yourself so hard the first weekend where you need a longer recovery time. Also the week between he two I do still encourage you to run for active recovery but don't run far (max 3-4 miles in a day).

I know even during dopey I had to constantly pace myself and tell myself to slow down because especially on the 5k and 10k I wanted to do faster but I knew I still had a half and a full to come so had to tell myself to take it easy and take it slow and don't run at normal 5k/10k race pace.

Just pace yourself and you'll be fine.

Thank you guys! My family thinks I'm crazy, so I'm glad it's not an absurd idea. As far as my training reflecting the back to back, do you mean just tapering in a certain way before the first one (and obviously light running between the two )?

Normally in your training plan you will have a week toward the end where you come close to (if not to) the half marathon distance before the taper. The suggestion would be do that same distance the week before as well so you get the experience of doing 10-12 miles (whatever the number is in your plan) for 2 weeks in a row. Just like in my dopey plan I have a week where I do 12 miles on saturday and then 22ish miles on sunday to get used to that back to back.

I did it the inaugural year for Avengers as well as last year. Just be sure you have solid training under your belt and that you're physically and mentally ready to do halfs on back to back weekends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter