Wimpy 8 year old - Legoland or Univeral?

alicenwonder99

DIS Veteran
7 of us are going to Southern California in July. me, dh, and 5 kids: 19, 15, 8, 6, and 1. My 8 year old is rather wimpy. She FINALLY went on the Maelstrom in Norway at WDW last September. Is there anything she can ride at Universal? I'm certain the teens will be bored to death at Legoland.

Or, is there any other place nearby Legoland the teens and dh can go to while I'm with the little ones at Legoland?

TIA

Mary

I don't know what else to recommend for the teens, but your little ones will get so much out of Legoland that I wouldn't want them to miss it. My 8 year old loves Legoland and it is perfect for wimpy kids (even the roller coasters aren't too overwhelming).

There is outlet shopping and beaches near Legoland that the teens might enjoy. I don't know where you are coming from, or how many cars you will have, but if you can swing it - send your husband and teens in the opposite direction to Magic Mountain (north of LA). I'm not a huge fan of Universal Hollywood. I haven't been in years, but I used to work in Universal City. My office used to overlook Universal. I used to watch some Miami Vice helicopter show have an explosion and reset over and over again out my window. It kind of took away the magic.

We'll be in Southern California for 11 days. We're spending half the time in Pasadena, and the other half in Anaheim.

Which beach is closest to Legoland? We usually visit Huntington Beach. I really don't like going to the beach. It's my dh that likes it. So, if I miss going to the beach this year, I'll actually be happy (lol).

Also, how far is Universal from Legoland? Would it be an option for dh to drop us off at Legoland while he takes the bigger kids to Universal?

How about surf lessons for the teens and DH while you visit Legoland with the younger kids?

Legoland is in Carlsbad and there are great beaches there. If you give me more information on your teen's interests, I would be happy to help plan a great day in the area.

All sorts of great beaches nearby as Tink33 says.

I think that the 8 year old will still find plenty that they like at Legoland. There are 2 rollercoasters that she may not like if she doesn't like rollercoasters. There is also a knight's ride that can turn you upside down, that she might not like.

However, the rest of the rides I'd think she'd like. My dd didn't get bored until she was 10 and then it was only because we took the kids back for a second day (at her 8 year old brother's request).

LegoLand is so much fun, my kids both love it. My friend went with her three kids last year at 4, 7, 9 and they all had a blast. Especially if she is into legos and likes to play and build and explore. I would hate for them to miss it. I have a friend who missed it when they were younger and now they feel like they missed out.

Unless the teens like to see their younger siblings having fun, and enjoy hanging out with them, they will be bored out of their minds at Legoland. San Diego is only another 30 miles or so down the road - perhaps the teens and dad could visit Sea World or the Zoo or Balboa Park? As others have said, there are lots of nice beaches in Carlsbad, if they would enjoy just spending a day at the beach. One problem with sending them south to San Diego is that the traffic coming back north in the afternoon can be really bad on weekdays. Unless they might be interested in taking the train from Carlsbad down to San Diego and back? It's largely along the coast and fairly scenic. The train station downtown is close to the Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum and a couple of nice shopping areas - or they could take the trolley to Old Town and wander around there.

We went to Legoland and Universal three years ago (has it been that long) and we were very unimpressed with Universal. Of course, all of our kids were little, but they were blasting loud music and everything was so grown-up. I remember going as a kid and it was totally different. Legoland on the other hand is totally for kids. They say the older kids like to hang out at the creators whatchamacallit and build and race Lego things, but I think that's all they might enjoy there except looking at the super-cool Lego masterpieces. Next time we come down we'll have to decide whether to split our group between Legoland and Magic Mountain (We'll have such a big age spread) or to all go to Knott's Berry Farm just so we can be together. Us parents are going in September to check everything out (I only feel a little guilty about ditching the kids). :rolleyes1 :dumbo:

auntyjenn-
I would caution you against taking the time to go to Knott's. We went last year with DD7 and she got bored very quickly. We really didn't spend more than half a day there (including stopping for the famous fried chicken dinner!). The rides are so amateur compared to Disney and Universal.
Sorry to be negative, I would just hate to see any other family disappointed like we were.

auntyjenn-
I would caution you against taking the time to go to Knott's. We went last year with DD7 and she got bored very quickly. We really didn't spend more than half a day there (including stopping for the famous fried chicken dinner!). The rides are so amateur compared to Disney and Universal.
Sorry to be negative, I would just hate to see any other family disappointed like we were.

Well, I just realized (thanks to the boards) that we might not get to see fireworks at Disneyland the way I have the trip planned. I think we might need to go to Disney again on Friday instead of Knott's. Hmm, I did want to see for myself, but disboarders do seem to know what they're talking about... :scratchin

I agree with Littlele about Knott's. I have an annual pass because of Camp Snoopy and it was super cheap, but when we go it's only about a 1/2 day kind of thing. If your older kids love roller coasters and are tall enough, they would probably have a blast. There is definitely something missing for the nonrollercoaster riding kids because camp snoopy is probably good for kids up to 6 (and that's probably pushing it).

We also have a pass to Legoland and last time we went was really fun (that's why I bought the pass). My son is finally tall enough for almost all the rides. They also added a pirate water area that we haven't even been to yet. I heard it was a lot of fun though. I think the kids in your group up to 8 would have fun there. The one bummer about Legoland that I have experience is that even when the lines looks short, a lot of the time it's still a long wait. In a lot of the lines they have legos to play with though.

Have fun!

I would say Legoland for sure. My kids found Universal kinda boring. They liked the big rides but they had a whole lot more fun at legoland. Wish we had one closer!! My boys are 7,6,and5. The older two love the big rides but they had a blast on evry ride there. They were all pretty mild rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter