Wilton Cake Decorating Class

Practicallyperfect

Mouseketeer
Hi. I just signed up for the Wilton I class at my local Michael's. The store staff was not much help. I asked if the kit was all I needed to bring since there were no directions or class information and the sales person said she thought that was it. Has anyone taken this class? Should I be taking more than a box of tools with me?

Thanks!

Practicallyperfect said:
Hi. I just signed up for the Wilton I class at my local Michael's. The store staff was not much help. I asked if the kit was all I needed to bring since there were no directions or class information and the sales person said she thought that was it. Has anyone taken this class? Should I be taking more than a box of tools with me?

Thanks!

Sorry for the bad experience.. We had a similiar experience here in Indiana.. We had to buy the kit...plus another 20.00 worth of additional supplies.. When she, my daughter was taking this class for a 4-H project, arrived for the class...they had cancelled it without contacting us! I had to demand a refund for our class price... I ate the cost of the supplies because we could utilize them later..but I won't take classes through any of the stores again... Very bad experience for my daughter... I hope yours turns out much better than ours...

Hi,

I just had my first class yesterday. You shouldn't need any of your supplies yet. The first class they basically go over everthing and show you how to use the tools (just generally) and how to ice/level a cake.

That said you will be baking a cake for the three remaining weeks and will need more things than just what is in the kit. Stuff to make the cakes, icing and cardboard circles to put the cake on. Also icing coloring and flavoring. Oh and you will need something to put your cakes in but you can just use a cardboard box. A lot of it is optional so don't get overwhelmed with the lists they show you.

I had a great class and my instructor is great so I hope you have a good experience.

A few years ago I took this class from a local Garden Ridge and its so much fun.. I dont do as many cakes now, but at first I sure did.. Its fun to do the cute cakes for the kids classes and then when we have things going on at work I make one.. My last one was a huge hit!..

I took the class about 10 years ago. Had to make a cake a week for the duration of the class, that was a pain, every Tuesday making a cake, every Wednesday taking the class. Loved the class but learned a tip at another cooking class later. Ask your instructor can you bring one layer as your "cake" to practice. Bring second layer [which you froze} the second week.

Good Luck and Happy Decorating!

Hopefully the instructor will call you or send a letter if you need something for the first class. It's been so long I can't remember what we had to bring for the first class. I think the other poster is correct about the first class being more demo. Our instructor lugged her big stand mixer in and made the icing, showed us a few things and recommended what to buy. Look on the shelves and see if there is a box that says Course I. Wait until you have a coupon to buy the stuff. Our girl was good about telling us the basics to buy. I don't think she or Michaels earns any $ on selling additional items, esp. since she requested that they carry some items, which they never had.

Good luck. I had great instructors and hope you do too!

Hi there neighbours over the pond!

I make cakes over here in the UK and I would love to be able to do a Wilton Class but there just aren't any.

I love all the flavours of cakes you can do and I am desperate to try some recipes but the biggest problem over here is that we use grams/ounces/kilo's etc and whilst we have cups which we can use for flour, sugar etc, how on earth do you measure butter! You say a cup of butter or a stick but that means nothing to us, we cannot physically get a cup of butter because the weight will always be different each time.

I really do wish that the recipe books I have from the States would just tell me what the metric/imperial measurements are. It would make life so much easier and I could actually get to try the recipes!!! :banana: .

I have books by Collette Peters, Dede Wilson and Wilton but none of them are helpful to me because of the butter measurement.

Could one of you lovely ladies possibly tell me what actual weight a cup of butter would be or what weight a stick of butter would be?

Check out my website and tell me what you think. I am self taught and have been making cakes for about 6 years now.

www.scrumptiouscakes.co.uk :teeth:

:confused3 I have thought about taking this class, the clerks at our store are about the same......no help what so ever!

pixiepower04 said:
Hi there neighbours over the pond!

I love all the flavours of cakes you can do and I am desperate to try some recipes but the biggest problem over here is that we use grams/ounces/kilo's etc and whilst we have cups which we can use for flour, sugar etc, how on earth do you measure butter! You say a cup of butter or a stick but that means nothing to us, we cannot physically get a cup of butter because the weight will always be different each time.

I really do wish that the recipe books I have from the States would just tell me what the metric/imperial measurements are. It would make life so much easier and I could actually get to try the recipes!!! :banana: .

Could one of you lovely ladies possibly tell me what actual weight a cup of butter would be or what weight a stick of butter would be?

Check out my website and tell me what you think. I am self taught and have been making cakes for about 6 years now.

www.scrumptiouscakes.co.uk :teeth:

Your cakes are amazing! Love the house, the globe/earth and Batman! The details look amazing!

Butter is sold in sticks (1/2 cup each stick) and the sticks have wrappers that show where to cut if you need tablespoons. At some places you can buy larger "bricks" of butter that are 1 or 2 pounds.

we3disneygo said:
:confused3 I have thought about taking this class, the clerks at our store are about the same......no help what so ever!

See if the instructor has contact information somewhere that you can get. She'd probably be interested to know that the clerks are so unhelpful. She won't make much $ if people can't sign up. When I took the classes, the isntructors were paid based on # of students at each class.

Paula Jane

Sorry I can't post links yet, but does this help...
U.S. Standard To Metric
1 cup=200 ml and 2-15 ml spoons
1 1/4 cup=300 ml
1 1/3 cup=300 ml and 1-15 ml spoon
1 1/2 cup=350 ml
1 2/3 cup=375 ml and 1-15 ml spoon
1 3/4 cup=400 ml and 1-15 ml spoon
2 cups=475 ml
2 1/4 cups=500 ml and 2-15 ml spoons
2 1/3 cups=550 ml
2 1/2 cups=600 ml
2 2/3 cups=600 ml and 2-15 ml spoons
2 3/4 cups=650 ml
3 cups=700 ml and 1-15 ml spoon
3 1/4 cups=775 ml
3 1/3 cups=800 ml
3 1/2 cups=800 ml and 2-15 ml spoons
3 2/3 cups=850 ml and 1-15 ml spoon
3 3/4 cups=875 ml
4 cups=950 ml

That is from allrecipes web site. I remembered seeing many recipes online when I was looking yesterday had a small 'button' to make them metric.

I took the class a few years ago. I bought the box with supplies with my 40 or 50% off coupon. It was a good deal and I needed alot of the things inside for the class.

Hi PiperPizazz,

Thanks ever so much for your help. If anyone can tell me what a stick of butter would weigh when put on the scales I would be so grateful.

I can't wait to try out some recipes. :stir:

Many thanks you guys.

pixiepower04 said:
Hi PiperPizazz,

Thanks ever so much for your help. If anyone can tell me what a stick of butter would weigh when put on the scales I would be so grateful.

I can't wait to try out some recipes. :stir:

Many thanks you guys.

According to the stick of butter I looked at, it said each stick was about 4 ounces.

Hope that helps...

Oh thanks very much Princess Nancy 96, that really helps alot. Now I can go and work out my recipes and get even fatter!!!

:Pinkbounc :cheer2: :Pinkbounc :cheer2: :Pinkbounc :cheer2: :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!