Will we want our bikes?

mickeyfan0805

DIS Veteran
I have not been planning to bring our bikes (we will have a gc, so I don't imagine we'd miss them). But, I see a lot of people talking about riding around. Are there things/places/paths we will miss out on if I don't bring our bikes? I'd hate to get there and wish we had them!

You can not take you golf cart on the path that is between FW and the WL, you can only bike or walk. We also have a cart, but also take our bikes. We like the bikes for quick trips to the comfort station, pool or trading post. The trail to the WL is a nice ride.

I have not been planning to bring our bikes (we will have a gc, so I don't imagine we'd miss them). But, I see a lot of people talking about riding around. Are there things/places/paths we will miss out on if I don't bring our bikes? I'd hate to get there and wish we had them!

Well, if you already own a golf cart and bring it to the Fort, I suppose that's one thing.

And I suppose if you have someone in your party with legitimate mobility issues, that's one thing also.

I like to bring bikes from home because it gives everyone the freedom to take off in umpteen different directions at the same time if they want to. It's also healthier and cheaper than renting a golf cart (I'd rather spend the bling on souvenirs). And the Fort is very walkable - most destinations are a half mile or less from a loop entrance which is about a 10-minute walk at a normal pace.

I'm getting a cart this coming trip because my nearly 80-year old parents will be travelling with me. That will make my third cart rental in 17 years of trips (all because of them).

If you have money to burn I suppose it doesn't matter. And that's my opinion.

Bama ED

Last edited:
We love having our bikes at the Fort! We have not rented a golf cart in many years. As was said before, the Fort is very walkable if you do not have mobility issues and bikes are so much fun!

We left our bikes at home in March and rented a cart (big mistake) because we had family staying with us, we said many times we were all done bringing our cart or renting one because we like having the bikes better.

Thanks for the feedback. We do have a cart because this is our first (and quite possibly only) trip to the Fort as a family. Having the cart is a piece of the excitement for the kids.

That said, I've pulled all the bikes down and am getting them ready. Best of both worlds - now I just need to find a decent lock.

Any lock should work, I use a cheap cable lock since I don't think anyone is going to spend a great deal of time messing with a lock on a bike at WDW. My theory has always been that someone can take it if they want to bad enough, I just have to make mine the least convenient to take.

I agree with everyone else. Bikes are awesome at the fort! The kids love riding back and forth to get the laundry, and around the loop (depending on their age of course - the little ones only ride with us along). Now we can't all fit on a GC (it's been a while since we have) but haven't ever missed not having it. Having bikes and a GC is the best of both worlds. We only started using bike locks last year and never had a problem before that, but better safe than sorry, right?

I have not been planning to bring our bikes (we will have a gc, so I don't imagine we'd miss them)

1) Yes, you will miss them.
2) Using a bike to move around The Fort and view campsite is a blessing.
3) Take the bikes and be glad you did.

1) Yes, you will miss them.
2) Using a bike to move around The Fort and view campsite is a blessing.
3) Take the bikes and be glad you did.
The Rusty Scupper has offered some wise and saged advice . Let me add that this sounds like one of those times when
It's Better to Have Them and Not NEED Them than Need Them And NOT HAVE Them

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts