Will the Poly be a half experience?

LucieR

Earning My Ears
We're recent DVC owners, and one huge motivation for buying was my lifelong dream of staying at the Poly (Poly stay at Pop prices, amiright?)

Our intention from the beginning was to book May/ June '21 as soon as we were able, but now the refurbishment has been announced with it's rather vague "Summer 21" reopening, I'm concerned the work will still be going on and the stay I've waited 30 years for will be "less than", with no monorail, construction walls etc.

On the other hand there's a chance it could all be finished by then.

I'm really torn between sticking to plan, or choosing a different resort for my Welcome Home stay (although it would be a shame).

What would you do?

Nah, there is not a lot of chance it will be done. Rare is the refurb that is on time.

Also hard to say what is open or not yet.

I’d keep it the same. The main reopening will be for the regular resort area accepting guests. Over half a year away. Your excitement will build as you watch the progress of the changes before your visit. Live the dream.

I switched out POLY for BRV this Dec with monorail suspended and refurb going on. It also doesn’t look like Ohana will be open at this rate. I noticed a lot of availability for POLY so maybe there’s a mass exodus.

we are here now and on Monday checked into poly and left for ccv after 2 nights. it was not what we wanted. No boat, no tropical music by oasis pool, pool bar near oasis closed ohana closed which we knew. the resort side was dark no tiki lights on at night so the walk from gf was dark and dreary. captain cooks was meh. Our room had no hot water for one day room smelled moldy and just not feeling it. the stairwells outside the buildings are dank dark and old. did not feel deluxe walking up to our room. sitting on balcony you cant see anything unless you stand. Our WL stay is a million times cleaner and atmosphere is alive

We dropped our Poly room for our Jan trip. While it's not likely to be complete in May / June, maybe it won't be as bad as January will likely be, though.

Are you a direct buyer planning to use MS to help you book your first stay? I'd see if they can find you something else that is maybe much harder to book on your own.

Availability at Poly will likely stay pretty open while resorts in general are not being booked to capacity and there is construction there, so you could book somewhere else and keep your eye on whats happening at Poly (switching if you think you want to go for it).

We decided to grab studios at CCV and BCV for our upcoming stay because they were available and I'm aware they are rare finds during "norrmal" times. We figured we may as well take advantage of the situation. We can probably get Poly at 7 months most other times.

Honestly, I've changed our reservations a few times and I've even seen value rooms at AKV, standard at BWV, many standard rooms at BLT, etc pop up here and there - especially if you're open to a split stay. But I could have also changed our trip to the whole week at BCV or CCV in a studio with stalking. It's a good opportunity to grab something you may not easily get again.

we are here now and on Monday checked into poly and left for ccv after 2 nights. it was not what we wanted. No boat, no tropical music by oasis pool, pool bar near oasis closed ohana closed which we knew. the resort side was dark no tiki lights on at night so the walk from gf was dark and dreary. captain cooks was meh. Our room had no hot water for one day room smelled moldy and just not feeling it. the stairwells outside the buildings are dank dark and old. did not feel deluxe walking up to our room. sitting on balcony you cant see anything unless you stand. Our WL stay is a million times cleaner and atmosphere is alive

Wow, that’s really damning. I hope these issues are fixed when it reopens fully...

Staying at Poly in January. I’m thinking that the low crowds at Poly due to the refurb might be a nice break from the increasing crowds in the parks. :confused3

Staying at Poly in January. I’m thinking that the low crowds at Poly due to the refurb might be a nice break from the increasing crowds in the parks. :confused3
we thought that too but the atmosphere was lacking, we figured quiet would be good. We were near the quiet pool and screaming kids after 10:00pm. we did sit by there for a bit on an afternoon and there was no background poly music. Was told its due to refurb. but yet main pool had the activities music blaring. Just not for us. We prefer BRV CCV, for Mk area and BWV BCV for epcot area . Poly wasnt worth the points.

We just bought at Poly, and our next two trips (December 2020, and Spring Break 2021) are at different DVC resorts. We figure we would hold off on the Poly until they are done with the refurbishments. I've stayed at Disney resorts in the past that had construction going on, and it was ok - but with all the Covid stuff I'd rather just stay somewhere else for now.

We bought in at Poly for the same reason as you - it’s always been my lifetime dream to stay there ! And we did stay there last March for our first DVC trip. It was so amazing !! Everything I could have imagined and more . we all agreed hands down that it was our favourite resort we had stayed at thus far.

That said - we just moved our March 2021 trip from Poly to Beach Club after I heard of the renos. I know we wouldn’t enjoy staying at Poly under the renos. Especially if it is your first trip there ... you want it to be the experience you’ve been dreaming of !

I can’t wait to stay at Poly again for our 2022 trip and check out all the additions !🙂

They are refurbishing the hotel rooms, and making some changes to the monorail. Not sure as DVC they will really be additions.

The Great Ceremonial House will be undergoing some renovations so I am looking forward to seeing those. Also excited to try out the new walking path to MK.

The Great Ceremonial House will be undergoing some renovations so I am looking forward to seeing those. Also excited to try out the new walking path to MK.
Oh boy.... the last time they refurbed the Great Ceremonial House, it reopened without its signature icon (the waterfall).
They also ripped out the lush river in back in order to instal a putting green.

I’m afraid of recent refurbs.

Switched from Poly to Kidani for January after getting insight from this post. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

What building? How dark ??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter