Will September really be THAT bad?

Maybe I’m being ignorant, and apologies for that, but I feel like everyone is really overhyping Galaxy’s Edge. I may have to eat my words later for saying that.

But September is historically the slowest month at Disney World. So even though SWGE is opening, I still don’t think it will see the same crowds as Spring Break or Christmas.

I don’t foresee families taking their kids out of school that early in the semester, just for SWGE. And since they have those new extra extra hours, that takes out all the locals, for at least the morning, that usually visit in September. Unless of course they get a hotel res.

Maybe I’m being too optimistic. Lol. :rotfl:
Hoping against hope that you are right! It'd be like a miracle!

Maybe they are doing it this way as they can't do a 4 hour reservation system like Disneyland, too many hotels. Just a thought.

I agree - this is the DW equivalent to the DL reservations. Disney is doing it's best to make sure resort guests can see GE if they want to see GE. While I am going to expect some heavy crowds, I am bringing along my patience and some red bull for the early mornings, and late nights. I have a feeling we will do the mid day naps if we want to see the evening shows.

While I think it will be busy, I also think it’s a huge PR move.

For the past 2 years (about ?) people on the boards have been complaining about hours being cut. They have reduced hours significantly specially in slow times. While there has never been consistent 6am openings, I think Disney knows the press around this is going to be huge. Bigger then anything they have done in the parks in years (ever?). The last thing they want is all negative press about how it was horrible and no one could ride.

Yes expect crowds, and expect the extra hours to be packed. But I also think these extra early hours or whatever they are calling it evens out the hours a bit.

I don’t think they are overblowing it and I believe it will be very, very busy.

Disney would not be committing this much manpower to extra hours if they did not have a very good indication it would be necessary. They know.

I think there are families who will pull their kids out in September - who may not have considered pulling their kids out that early in the school year for a random September.

I think there will be plenty of people going who wouldn’t have otherwise planned a Disney trip without SWGE. Star Wars appeals to a huge range of ages and people
in life situations who may have flexibility to go in September. Not limited to people with kids on a school schedule.

I think plenty of local AP holders will book on site rooms to have EMH access in the first months to experience it.

Just my thoughts. I think people should be prepared for it to be incredibly busy and be pleasantly surprised if it somehow isn’t. I would not go in thinking Disney is overestimating the crowds.

People say a crowded day at Disney is better than a day at work but I’m not so sure. At least I’m getting paid to be at work.

I have been on the busiest days of the year (New Year’s Eve, Easter, other holidays) and some of the slowest (early September, days before a hurricane hit.) We have fun, no matter the day, no matter the crowds.

Just remember that now Disney sells date based tickets... im sure that disney saw ticket sales for fall dates spike and made this decision based on that. The emh at AK and MK are designed to tempt ppl away from DHS. When the DHS lot fills or you hit a phased closure at DHS when you arrived “early” at 7am you will still be able to get into MK or AK as a consolation.

I'm slightly amused that the language in the announcement reminds people that unless they have hoppers, the EEMH park they go to, is the only admission they get that day.

I'm slightly amused that the language in the announcement reminds people that unless they have hoppers, the EEMH park they go to, is the only admission they get that day.
People don’t always read or understand the rules of the ticket they purchase so Disney has to try and cut down on the guest confusion and complaints somehow. Many still won’t read all the language as it is unfortunately.

People don’t always read or understand the rules of the ticket they purchase so Disney has to try and cut down on the guest confusion and complaints somehow. Many still won’t read all the language as it is unfortunately.

I totally understand why the language was there, I just thought it was funny. But I'm sure there are plenty of people who think "ooooo I can go do all the non GE stuff early and then go to a different park" on a single entry park ticket.

I agree - this is the DW equivalent to the DL reservations. Disney is doing it's best to make sure resort guests can see GE if they want to see GE. While I am going to expect some heavy crowds, I am bringing along my patience and some red bull for the early mornings, and late nights. I have a feeling we will do the mid day naps if we want to see the evening shows.
What do you think the odds are of being able to get back into HS? I really want to take a mid day break, but I worry I won't be able to get back in to see Fantasmic.

I would think that just to be safe have an in park dinning reservation, you can get in all the way to potential Phase 3 closing. Phase 4 no one is allowed in but I doubt that DHS will reach that for that date
I was really not wanting to do a table service, but I made a random res anyway just in case.

I went to check if we can still make reservation for a room on site during our stay. At the end of September, I can still go in a value or moderate for the regular price. Sooo maybe it will not be THAT bad :tink:

What do you think the odds are of being able to get back into HS? I really want to take a mid day break, but I worry I won't be able to get back in to see Fantasmic.
I wish I knew!! I am hoping that we can. I will be going September 17-24, and more info will be available by then.

While I think it will be busy, I also think it’s a huge PR move.

For the past 2 years (about ?) people on the boards have been complaining about hours being cut. They have reduced hours significantly specially in slow times. While there has never been consistent 6am openings, I think Disney knows the press around this is going to be huge. Bigger then anything they have done in the parks in years (ever?). The last thing they want is all negative press about how it was horrible and no one could ride.

Yes expect crowds, and expect the extra hours to be packed. But I also think these extra early hours or whatever they are calling it evens out the hours a bit.

I think that Disney does not care if they have extra good will. They do care about a revolt at the gate. The commitment of additional hours which includes a high rate of additional staff from parks to transportation to security, means they are preparing to disperse the crowds as much as is possible. The negative consequences that may occur if folks either cannot get into the parks, or cannot get on attractions will far outweigh any expense that is made to outrun it.

I was really not wanting to do a table service, but I made a random res anyway just in case.

I think this is the best practice. Err on the side of caution. IF nothing else, show up for a break and have a cold drink and dessert.

SO we are one of those couples that pull their kids out of school to go to Disney, (they start Aug 12) Only thing, we did it for the low crowds and free dining before they even mentioned SW:GE opening in August. I am sure there are many families that do this anyways, how many extra will do it just because of SW:GE is really the question.

My guess is that Disney is seeing a lot of short bookings for people probably just coming for SW:GE which they know will be busy and are opening the other parks to help spread the crowds. But again that is just a guess

SO we are one of those couples that pull their kids out of school to go to Disney, (they start Aug 12) Only thing, we did it for the low crowds and free dining before they even mentioned SW:GE opening in August. I am sure there are many families that do this anyways, how many extra will do it just because of SW:GE is really the question.

My guess is that Disney is seeing a lot of short bookings for people probably just coming for SW:GE which they know will be busy and are opening the other parks to help spread the crowds. But again that is just a guess

My DD and DSIL have pulled DGD out of school since she was in preschool. If they wanted a family vacation that included DSIL they had to take her out, seniority based vacation choices left him far out from summer or school breaks. There were times when it was impossible to take her out because she would have worked too hard to catch up, but other times when she was in a good place and the timing of the trip was such that she could manage the time away. THis new Land is going to impact the number of visitors who will brave the early Fall temps I believe, and may be the impetus to take kids who start early in August out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!