Will in room amenities be removed?

Omg I haven’t even thought of hairdryers o_O

Our hotel rooms all had hair dryers. My daughter's hair has gotten ridiculously long and thick during this, and she absolutely has to dry it.
I know some people are worried, so if you are, bring clorox wipes or whatever cleaner you prefer.

Don't forget hair dryers. I wonder if those are going to stay. I have a travel one that I really like that I plan to bring. I also plan to bring my electric kettle for tea and instant oatmeal. We are driving though.
Not seeing individual in-room blow dryers being either a virus danger, or removed from the rooms.

The concern in salons is the potential of blowing the virus around, onto others. In one's hotel room, within the reach of the cord,with only your traveling party or portion thereof, a person could reasonably be expected to know of their companions' health.

Yes, coronaviruses exist on surfaces for varying periods of time. That doesn't mean it lives full force on a given surface for the time or time range indicated. It dies (albeit slowly at times) or dissolves or disintesgrates over that time range. https://www.webmd.com/lung/how-long-covid-19-lives-on-surfaces

You don't go to Disney World (or any hotel) to watch TV, but what will they do about the TV remotes? Will you have to request them at the front desk? Remove them? Or will they just simply wipe them down every time? I know those things are filled with germs

You don't go to Disney World (or any hotel) to watch TV, but what will they do about the TV remotes? Will you have to request them at the front desk? Remove them? Or will they just simply wipe them down every time? I know those things are filled with germs
I'm assuming it will be like any other common-touched surface (light switches, door knobs, faucet handles, etc.) that would need to be wiped down, though I was at an upscale hotel once where you could control your tv with your phone like some of the more advanced "smart" home sets. Was kind of cool, but was awkward if you were using your phone for anything else. Wouldn't be surprised if Disney eventually...in their next round of upgrades over the next 10 years...start replacing all the individual controls in the room (light switches, thermostat, tv) in a single touchpad that can be wiped-down pretty easily; seen that a few times at other hotels. Would be a massive investment, but think there's little option to go that route now, especially at the deluxe resorts.

I fully intend on wiping that thing down myself. I was already a already a hand sanitizer Clorox wipe woman before all of this. I've been preparing for this my whole life 😂 I just want to make sure I pack up everything I need.

Some hotel chains use these flat remotes that can be easily wiped, there are no raised buttons. It would take little effort for Disney to move to that.

One hotel that we stayed at had all the remotes in little plastic baggies. I have no clue how they clean them, or if they really did, just that they were in little plastic baggies. I wonder if they expected us to use them while in the bag? If so, they didn't leave any messaging about it.

Is there a difference in what hotels can do/provide when they move to Phase 2? That is supposed to happen tomorrow here in Florida for most counties (including Disney area), but I didn’t find any specifics as far as hotels are concerned (all the articles were talking about restaurants and bars).

I would love if they would go back to individual toiletries as a result of the virus, but I don’t see that happening. Considering that you touch the dispensers and then touch your facial area (which we aren’t supposed to touch), there’s no way I would go near communal toiletries now. It would be a vicious circle of touch, wash hands, touch, wash hands . . .

I fully intend on wiping that thing down myself. I was already a already a hand sanitizer Clorox wipe woman before all of this. I've been preparing for this my whole life 😂 I just want to make sure I pack up everything I need.
Ditto....I was wiping down remotes, hair dryer handle, toilets, etc before the virus. I also bring my own TP.

Not seeing individual in-room blow dryers being either a virus danger, or removed from the rooms.

The concern in salons is the potential of blowing the virus around, onto others. In one's hotel room, within the reach of the cord,with only your traveling party or portion thereof, a person could reasonably be expected to know of their companions' health.

Yes, coronaviruses exist on surfaces for varying periods of time. That doesn't mean it lives full force on a given surface for the time or time range indicated. It dies (albeit slowly at times) or dissolves or disintesgrates over that time range. https://www.webmd.com/lung/how-long-covid-19-lives-on-surfaces

I didn't think they could spread the virus by contact. However, the Orange County guidelines for hotels had said the service items need to be removed, but it didn't clarify what that meant. I don't think a hairdryer in a hotel room is much more dirty than other things. However, some of those hairdryers look like they have about 20 people's worth of dust, lent, and hair stuck in the filter. Normally, I would just clean it out, but some people may be a bit sensitive about that now. Anyway, since we are driving, I can bring my own travel hairdryer much easier. Usually, we are luggage limited with flying, especially since we were supposed to do a cruise this trip too.

Sure hope they have something set up to give a complimentary cup of coffee or two in the morning if they remove free coffee from the rooms.
A shared coffee station in a communal area would pose a larger risk than the coffee makers in rooms. Alternatively, they could have a CM handing out disposable cups of coffee, but that would mean additional cost. I think they'll take this opportunity to do away with in room coffee and take the cost savings.

Don't forget hair dryers. I wonder if those are going to stay.
I hope they do. I suppose housekeeping could clean these like they will have to with TV remotes, but I'm sure that's inefficient - when's the last time housekeeping cleaned a hair dryer in a room!

A shared coffee station in a communal area would pose a larger risk than the coffee makers in rooms. Alternatively, they could have a CM handing out disposable cups of coffee, but that would mean additional cost. I think they'll take this opportunity to do away with in room coffee and take the cost savings.
True, but cleaning a single (or 2) coffee station(s) in a communal area is a lot easier and more efficient than 1000+/- rooms in each resort. Coffee has always been one of those quasi-free things in the food court, anyways. They've never had (though expect that might change now) sensors on the coffee or hot water dispensers and have never seen a CM turn someone away from using their own cup at the coffee stations. I anticipate that might change a little and they may install touchless coffee dispensers in the food court, but won't be surprised if coffee will always be available "free" to guests somehow.

True, but cleaning a single (or 2) coffee station(s) in a communal area is a lot easier and more efficient than 1000+/- rooms in each resort. Coffee has always been one of those quasi-free things in the food court, anyways. They've never had (though expect that might change now) sensors on the coffee or hot water dispensers and have never seen a CM turn someone away from using their own cup at the coffee stations. I anticipate that might change a little and they may install touchless coffee dispensers in the food court, but won't be surprised if coffee will always be available "free" to guests somehow.
Eh... housekeepers having to add 3 minutes to their cleaning to ensure the coffee pot is sanitized, only on rooms where a guest is checking out, seems easier to me than having to clean busy communal coffee pots in between each guest's use. Because the only way to make a communal coffee pot/drink dispenser safe is to have a CM stationed at it to clean it in between each guest's use. And if a CM is going to do that, they might as well be the ones to dispense it to make it the safest. Added staff means added cost. They will definitely have to incur added cost with the new requirements and changes, but I'm not confident they'd be willing to incur cost for something like coffee that they already lose money on. Hopefully, though, they either keep the coffee pots in room or there is such a thing as touchless coffee/drink dispensers, which would be ideal.

Wondering this for pre-COVID travel and then what you think post-COVID. Do you put the dishes, glasses, silverware in your DVC room through the dishwasher on your arrival, before using them, or do you just use them right out of the cabinet? I have just done the latter, but then my BIL who is a military pilot and stays all over the place for work told me I should probably be running them through the dishwasher before first use. I guess you never know if a prior guest used or handled a dish or cup and then put it right back in the cabinet without cleaning it? So for the last few years, I have been running them through the dishwasher at check in. Just wondering what others do, out of curiosity.

My Disney Experience is no longer showing the option to opt out of mousekeeping. It can of course be temporary. Was kind of counting on that gift card since I lost my FD. :rolleyes: I really hope the coffee machines will be available in the rooms 🤞

Hello I am a GM up here in MI and all this sounds about right and its what we are expected to do as well I just want to mention to everyone traveling whether you stay at a Hilton or a 30 year hotel (by they way these hotels are clean just bruised) bear with the staff the hotels that remained open through all this to house traveling medical teams, military, etc have worked through this all with no extra weekly pay, with conflicting guidelines and working longer hours do to cuts in staffing and taking on roles that we normally dont do please consider what the service industry employees go through. We will get through this and our magic place will be back to where it was Have a great night all

My Disney Experience is no longer showing the option to opt out of mousekeeping. It can of course be temporary. Was kind of counting on that gift card since I lost my FD. :rolleyes: I really hope the coffee machines will be available in the rooms 🤞
If you’ve been reassigned to a DVC resort because your resort isn’t open, you will have a drip coffee maker instead of a coffee machine like in the hotel rooms. Coffee, sugar and creamer are provided.

Hello I am a GM up here in MI and all this sounds about right and its what we are expected to do as well I just want to mention to everyone traveling whether you stay at a Hilton or a 30 year hotel (by they way these hotels are clean just bruised) bear with the staff the hotels that remained open through all this to house traveling medical teams, military, etc have worked through this all with no extra weekly pay, with conflicting guidelines and working longer hours do to cuts in staffing and taking on roles that we normally dont do please consider what the service industry employees go through. We will get through this and our magic place will be back to where it was Have a great night all

Thank you and your staff for all of the hard work you've been doing. A little patience and kindness definitely goes a long way for everyone! :)

Wondering this for pre-COVID travel and then what you think post-COVID. Do you put the dishes, glasses, silverware in your DVC room through the dishwasher on your arrival, before using them, or do you just use them right out of the cabinet? I have just done the latter, but then my BIL who is a military pilot and stays all over the place for work told me I should probably be running them through the dishwasher before first use. I guess you never know if a prior guest used or handled a dish or cup and then put it right back in the cabinet without cleaning it? So for the last few years, I have been running them through the dishwasher at check in. Just wondering what others do, out of curiosity.

I own a Marriott timeshare, and I do run the dishwasher when I first arrive. Usually everything won’t fit, so it can take a couple times running it (I also put the dish drainer in it, as those can be truly gross!). I don’t trust how clean the dishes might be, so plan on keeping doing that in the future!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter