Will I Use My Videocamera?

paula70

Mouseketeer
HELLO OUT THERE! OUR FAMILY (ME, DH, DD8, DD51/2) IS TAKING OUR FIRST TRIP TO DISNEY THIS FEB. :goodvibes WE HAVE A 8 YEAR OLD VIDEO RECORDER THAT IS PRETTY BIG AND CLUNKY. I AM WONDERING IF IT IS WORTHWHILE TO LUG IT AROUND THE PARKS (ESPECIALLY SINCE IN FEB WE WILL NEED SWEATSHIRTS/JACKETS!)? I DO HAVE MOVIE MODE ON MY SONY DIGITAL CAMERA, BUT IT SEEMS TO TAKE UP ALOT OF SPACE. i WOULD LOVE ALL OF YOUR EXPERT ADVICE ON HOW MUCH VIDEO YOU ACTUALLY TAKE! THANKS MUCH!! :confused3

Carrying around all that electronic stuff gets old after a while. But as young as your kids are you will probably have a stroller which can greatly lighten the load. The video on a digital camera is no where near the quality on any camcorder, at least what is available now. And besides the tiny picture, it will suck your memory cards dry. That said I take our camcorder every year to WDW. Don't always use it, BUT (and it is a big but) one trip I did not take it with me and we were watching Cinderella's parade, and Alice (from Wonderland) came and took my daughters out to dance with her in the parade. Needless to say I was beside myself. And don't you know, one day I didn't take it to the AK, my girls were picked to start Pocohontes' show. Kicked myself (hard) for not learning the first time. One thing I did do was get rid of the big clunky camera and get one of the new small ones. They are really getting pretty cheap and really small. I would take it and keep it in the stroller just remember to take it with you on the rides.

We had three trips to WDW this year and I only brought the video camera once. I don’t think I even took video. My DS is now 19 and does not do video worthy things anymore :) . Based on your kids age I would bring the video.

If you do bring video I would either get a new smaller one or borrow one. The smaller the better.

ENJOY YOUR FIRST TIME!!!!!!

We just went in September with our 4 year old DS. We didn't carry the camera for the first 2 days and now I regret it. Since we had the stroller we put the camera in there and got some great stuff. I'm so glad I carried it, but mine is one 4 years old so not that BIG. We got some great footage of the 7 dwarfs marching out for MNSSHP. It is great!

I think I would bring it, just be sure to have a nice bag to take it in. Your kids are young and I'd want to get at least a few memories on tape from their first trip to the World!

For our first couple of trips I brought the video camera only for our last day and videotaped just that day where we let the kdis do their favorites one last time...sort of a highlights thing. When we got home and I watched it I wished I'd had more. Now we make an effort to carry it with us at least half of our park days and I still sometimes think I wish I'd had it more. It can be a bit of a pain to carry with us though, especially since we're also carrying the regular camera.

glass slipper girl said:
Now we make an effort to carry it with us at least half of our park days and I still sometimes think I wish I'd had it more. It can be a bit of a pain to carry with us though, especially since we're also carrying the regular camera.

LOL - isn't it the truth! We live in Orlando and are that the parks regularly and I still take all the technology - camera, video camera, cell phone...... but the time I leave it at home is the time I wish I had it.

I would certainly bring a video camera for you trip, but as someone else said if you have any room in your budget you may want to invest in a newer smaller, model. I bought a great little SONY very reasonably at Target earlier this year.

I had hesitated replacing mine that was not that old or big, but not digital until earlier this year when my DD started competiting in horse shows, and I have used it so much for other things as well. Even just for those "KODAK' moments around the house - with 5 animials and my DD, there is always something comical going on! I keep it charged and handy at all times.

TMI - I'm sorry - my morning coffee has kicked in!

I agree with everyone here. Take the video camera with you just in case. Aside from using a stroller you could also put it in a locker at any of the parks when you don't want to haul all that gear. You can rent one for like $6-8 per day (I think). This is also nice for February (when I usually go too). Since you're never sure what the weather is going to be like you can store extra clothes in the locker as well.

Have fun on your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter